cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bayoumi
Journeyman III

Brooks/CAL vs. OpenGL Maths/MathGL++

How does Brooks/CAL compare in performance to using OpenGL Math or MathGL++?
To me, it seems natural to build on the continuous enhancements & evolution of industry standard OpenGL, and its natural GPU relationship, instead of building a new effort.
Am I right to assume that the ATI-AMD SDK team wanted a C-like language, and most likely wanted to avoid compatibility with Intel & nVidia graphics cores?

Regards
Amr
0 Likes
3 Replies
bayoumi
Journeyman III

Just to elaborate on my question, I am talking about Math functions such as Matrix/Vector operations equivalent to those in ACML. So, to rephrase the question, I am comparing linking regular C/C++ to Open GL Math or MathGL++ vs. using ACML/Brooks+/CAL flows (especially when your application is Linux based)
Best Regards
Amr
0 Likes

It's our belief that CAL provides an interface to the GPU that is more conducive to GP-GPU programming than OpenGL. It will be tuned more to what AMD/ATI GPUs can offer in terms of computation and functionality.

We are promoting Brook+ as the prefered vehicle for developing your application in. Brook+ is actually derived from (and still feeds back enhancements to) Brook, which is an open-source effort out of Stanford. The nice thing about Brook+ is that not only is it a high-level language, but it tries to abstract away the hardware details so that it is actually possible to retarget to different generations of a GPU and even to different GPUs.

While we are not going to actively spend engineering effort to guarantee compatibility with competitors' products, we are also not actively trying to prevent compatibility. We are, instead, trying to promote a portable high-level programming language which we think is in our customers' best interest.

Michael.
0 Likes
bayoumi
Journeyman III

Thanks Michael,
I am sure when the Linux SDK is released there will be a one-to-one comparison.
Thank you for reply again
Best Regards
Amr
0 Likes