AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Radeon HD 6490M black screen when install the driver

Question asked by patelyogesh2 on Jul 5, 2020
Latest reply on Jul 9, 2020 by patelyogesh2

Hello friends,

I have a black screen issue for the last 2 years and I was busy with my other stuff so I ignored it. But now I have some extra time so I thought I could solve it and give this laptop to my brother.

Laptop specification : 

HP Pavillion dv6-6154tx 

OS: Windows 10 pro 64bit ( also tried windows 7 home premium 64bit on one partition)

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 6490M 

More specs : HP Pavilion dv6-6154tx Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support 

Issue: Whenever I install a graphics driver for AMD then I got black screen. so I have to power it off and have to start it on safe mode and uninstall the AMD driver. Intel graphics is working fine.

Things I tried :

1) 2 years ago I tried to recover windows 7 using recovery drive but during installation, it was stuck at windows 7 logo.

2) Recently, installed windows 7 home premium on hard drive partition and tried to install AMD driver from HP website, the installation was a success and when I restarted the computer it was stuck at windows 7 logo. Also tried drivers from AMD website. no success.

3) Recently, changed thermal paste on both CPU and GPU (arctic 5 silver)

4)Tried windows 10 automatic driver download from device manager.

5)Also tried automatic driver detection tools (driver pack, easy drive, etc)

Form the last 2 years, I am using this laptop with a disabling AMD device from device manager.

I also tried DDU for a fresh install.

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to solve this black screen issue and is there any way I can check GPU is dead or alive without a driver?

Attachments

Outcomes