cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

How much RAM?

I have more RAM than 98% of Steam users. The price of DDR4-3200 has fallen considerably.  So having 32 GB for me is increasingly mainstream. I can install 128 GB of RAM before I need a new BIOS. I figure 32 GB eliminates the swap file wear and tear. 

World+dog know the new console has 16 GB so this is not a problem. Even my RX 480 could do 16GB had that density of memory been less expensive.

Speculation on Ryzen 4000 range from September to November for a launch. Then I saw some Asian site speculate that Ryzen 4000 is made on the TSMC N5 line.

So the question is not so much the current consoles, the PC is often far beyond. The only thing hindering a mass 8K migration is the lack of real bandwidth for RBG10 4:4:4 video quality needs a bit more than double DisplayPort 2.0 speeds.

DDR4 bandwidth is still a lot slower than CPU internal memory. L3 cache sizes have not grown as much as CPU complexity has changed with more SSE registers and register names.

4K is where gaming is at so 32GB seems natural with 8GB class video cards. I do not have any workstation video cards so I cannot judge gaming.

2 Replies

Ryzen 4000 is Zen 3 and 7nm. It is possible the refresh a year later will be the same or 7nm+. From there it is all rumors. I literally had just posted a link to an article with some rumors on this. https://community.amd.com/thread/253530 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Ryzen 4000 is Zen 3 and 7nm. It is possible the refresh a year later will be the same or 7nm+. From there it is all rumors. I literally had just posted a link to an article with some rumors on this. Possible interesting info on the CPU releases in 2021 and beyond. 

link says unauthorized

I am inclined to Agree Zen 3 is the N7+ line. The N5 line is probably 2021 before products surface from AMD and nVidia

Samsung has been cranking out lots of RAM and the average has fallen so much that equipping my R5 3600 is more affordable than I expected.

DDR4 stick at 32GB are the most expensive but now the next size up at 64GB will likely be with DDR5 in 2021. I am hoping DDR5 will afford 64GB and 128GB DIMMs. This will fight off price declines for a while.

I am also speculating that RAM may need to be twos on a side to increase capacity. If smaller sizes cannot be made there may be no choice. Servers have used dual row sticks etc.

0 Likes