cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

akeeller
Adept II

Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition?

Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition?
Personally yes, but not too much. I like the idea and the single elements of the interface, but overall it’s quite a mess. Everything should be reorganized a little bit.

456 Replies

Note that Radeon Chill is Disabled if Radeon BOOST is used.
Therefore use of Chill_Min = Chill_Max to control maximum Frame Rate is impossible.

This is yet another reason to request that the separate FRTC slider to Chill is put back into the driver.

Or is it assumed that everyone has a FreeSync Monitor or that it is mandatory to turn in game VSYNC on. 

0 Likes

I am really disappointed that AMD never lost a Word why FRTC is gone.

With my Freesync Monitor i really need FRTC in the new Driver! I always test new updates but then go back to FRTC supported Driver.

With the new update i still get black screens. I got X-Com 2 for cheap from GoG and i get Black Screens with Radeon Software 20.3.1

BRING BACK F R T C

S@M
0 Likes
hopkins
Adept II

How they were able to screw up the user interface is beyond me. Yesterday I updated to the new software version as Battlefield V crashed 3rd time that day already. I download the update and then the user interface was suddenly changed, I said wtf just happened and as it booted up with the new logo and animation it says Adrenalin 2020 Edition. As I entered the menu I was shocked as I realised the old, clean and transparent user interface was gone and replaced by that utter mess.

The font size is too big, the look of the interface is cartoony - not anymore that serious looking UI with dark colors as it once was.

Then a deep dive into the settings that maybe I could find a way to set in the old style UI but no avail... Then I got rid of the whole thing as fast as I could while downloading the old Adrenalin 2019 Edition.

Seriously, I like AMD, my whole system is built on AMD Ryzen but this is a big NO from me. You can argue Nvidia's interface is oldstyle and everything but it is transparent and you find the settings you are looking for very quickly! It just works! And that is what matters for PC enthusiasts, nothing more!

AMD, listen: No need for gimmickie features like pictures of last played or ads with big pictures smahing into our faces,  space wasting sized numbers and colorful graphs, that is what I call bullsh$t!

Bring back the oldstyle interface!

Hi,

You have some options.

(1). You can download and install Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 2020 20.Q1 1 - It will now run on Radeon GPUs.

(2). You can download Adrenalin 19.12.1, install it, and then download latest Adrenalin 2020 and use Windows Device Manager to point to Adrenalin 2020 download location and update the drivers only.

(3). You can ask AMD to make the Adrenalin 2020 GUI optional amd make the Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI the standard User Interface by filing an AMD Reporting Form and reporting Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI as the bug.It is.

If you need more help on (2.) above I can point you to more explanation on how to do it. I have posted a detailed description in many threads already.

Thanks.

Hello!

Thank you very much for quick response! As far as there is an alternative solution I am fine with it so in this case I will probably go go for (1) Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise.

I am happy though we got options and credit should be given to AMD for that that they give us some options to use the old style UI.

Hi - no problem.

(1). For background  information on the Radeon Pro for Enterprise Drivers support on Radeon GPUs you can read the following threads:
Please add support for Radeon R9 FuryX, Fury, Nano (Fiji based Radeon GPUs) in Radeon Pro Software f... 

Can AMD add support for R9 Fury, Nano, and Fury X Series desktop GPUs in Radeon Pro Software for En... 

I am not sure if you said which AMD GPU you have.
Here is the link to the release notes for the Radeon Pro for Enterprise Drivers:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-20-q1-1 
"AMD Radeon™ Pro Software for Enterprise 20.Q1.1 and newer will have “as-is” support for AMD Radeon Products. For complete list, please refer to the full set of release notes here."

If you look at the full set of release notes you will see the full list of supported Radeon GPU's on Page 13 and 14 of this document.:
https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-radeon-pro-software-for-enterprise-20.Q1.1.pdf 

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_7.png

pastedImage_8.png

0 Likes

If you do prefer to try (2).

First perform a clean install of Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1.

Then download the latest Adrenalin 20.4.1. and extract it driver underr C:\AMD\ but cancel the install once all files are extracted.

Then use Windows Device Manager to update the drivers for the AMD GPU.

Here is an example from another thread I posted on. - It should be clear enough to give you an idea of what you need to do:.

You will end up with Adrenalin 20.19.1 GUI/UI and Adrenalin 2020 20.4.1 drivers if you download them and follow the procedure below.

Bye.

"I do the following in device manager to update the drivers:
pastedImage_1.png
I pointed to:
C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.3.1-Mar19\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF"

0 Likes

I installed Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise after reading this and I am happy again. I mainly use my machine for GP, HTPC, and some non stressful to the GPU gaming. But I do have 6 monitors and 3 cards RX550XT, RX580, and RX580.

I do still have a problem with my 6th monitor blanking on reboot until it decides to come on but I have had that for a while now on different configurations..

Good news.

The GUI/UI should be Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 style,  and you should still have access to Wattman and have working fan control  for your GPUs.

If you do want the very latest Gaming drivers use method (2) above.

Just tested Adrenalin 2020 20.4.2.
The GUI/UI is still broken in many ways. Many keys are disabled.

It is also unstable and caused hang/PC freeze when attempting to use the new Overlay.

No FRTC although a registry edit can be used to enable it which is lots of effort versus having a single GUI Slider.  

Chill Hotkey still broken.

Chill still kills Keyboard Only Input FPS, and Chill_Max is not the Frame Rate Limit for that.

Radeon Chill is a great technology and AMD will not fix it so it can be used to save max power yet allow full GPU performance on GPUs that need as much power saving as possible.

I give up asking.

I have reverted to using Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI with the Radeon 2020 20.4.2 drivers updated using Windows Device Manager.

The 20.4.2 drivers do seem more stable.

noko
Adept III

I like the new UI better overall but think improvements can be made:

1. Items/options should fit on a 1080p screen

2. The performance monitoring graphs are too large, that too should fit on a 1080p screen, it does not even fit on a 1440p screen. Size options, small, medium, large (1080p, 1440p, 4K) for this would be useful

3. Gaming you have to go to a submenu, Global Graphics to get to the usable settings, I would move those tabs up one into the Gaming tab -> less confusing for users and less plowing through the UI.

markiemarcus
Adept III

It's a mess IMO. I can't find anything. Settings like Freesync and VSR are buried in a "global display settings" button, under the Gaming tab, and when you load that it brings up an entirely new selection of tabs that should've been front and centre from the outset. 

Mind-bogglingly stupid design.

I just tried to use Adrenalin 2020 20.5.1 GUI /UI. 
I have been using Hybrid Driver install of Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 + using Windows Device Manager to install 20.5.1 driver.
Been refusing to use it at all for some time but I had to test the driver and check it.

Based on what I see, nothing is improved since my earlier testing. 
That Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI has a mind of its own w.r.t. what gets displayed in Wattman and if the settings get reset if you move to another GUI TAB.
Crossfire / MultiGPU options are still Missing/Broken.
Presets are broken.
The lack of GUI Ergonomic design and thought of button placement consistently make it an absolute pain and effort to navigate.
Still cannot turn off Game Advisor.
Still no Global FRTC.
To top it off, the Report Issue Online opens up in the built in browser and I was unable to open reporting form selection tabs.

This Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is a total shambles.

I did see this though:

pastedImage_1.png

I am hoping that "Minimal Software Install" means Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI + latest 20.6.1 Drivers is the default and that Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is either binned or put back to Beta Testing.

I ticked Fan Control Improvements.

Some working fan control for my formerly top of the range XFX R9 390X 8GB OC Black Edition would be nice for once.
The GPU just sits with zero fan rpm until it overheats and the emergency max fan speed kicks in if I leave it on automatic.

If I switch the fan control to manual, which I have to, the rpm reported as set by the GUI does not match the RPM of the GPU fans.

There seems to be some "hysteresis" in the fan control setting.

Even on manual control I have very difficult time to set fan speed on that GPU and it has a limited actual r.p.m. range from maximum.

This automatic fan control issue means I cannot use Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise drivers with the R9 390X for Blender MultiGPU, if i also run a Radeon Pro GPU such as a Radeon ProDuo (Fiji) on the same system.

When a Radeon Pro GPU is detected, Watmann control is disabled for all GPUs on the system. The Wattman controls are removed.

0 Likes

But when using Radeon Pro drivers with non pro cards, wattman is there. I could not stand the new interface so I installed Radeon Pro drivers and I mainly do regular computing with Home Theater PC on my TV and AV receiver and just a little Minecraft mainly.

I still have a problem of my 6th "monitor" blanking out like I have too many monitors on one card but I have 2 on each card because 5 of then are 27" 2K monitors and one is a 65" 4K LG Oled glass TV So I need the bandwidth. The 6th one gets its video sometimes on a whim but goes out again on a reboot. That monitor is seen as active in windows 7 and the pointer disappears through it. It also stays active like it has a black screen signal. All 3 video cards (XT5500XT,RX580,RX580) are shown as connected as PCIe 2.0 X8 (GA-990FX-UD7 motherboard since i will not run windows 10 hence nor ryzen). I have had this problem for a while now through older cards and driver versions.

RE: But when using Radeon Pro drivers with non pro cards, Wattman is there. 
Yes I agree that is the case. The ability to install the Radeon Pro Drivers for non Pro cards is good in general.

Radeon Pro cards do not currently have Wattman and even fan control was a recent addition for them.
Not a good idea to overclock a Pro card, although there are situations where you may want to lower GPU and MEM Clocks.
Fan Control to increase fan speed would be nice.

My workaround is to fit the Radeon Pro DUO on an external NVMe-PCIe3.0x4 ADT-Link Adapter and run it from a separate PSU so I can disable the NVMe slot in PC Bios and just turn off power to it when I do not want to use it. Then on boot up I get the normal Red Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 style interface with Wattman and the Radeon Pro Drivers.

If I enable the NVMe slot in BIOS and turn on power to the Radeon Pro DUO GPU pre-boot then I get the Blue Radeon Pro interface and drivers w/o Wattman.

0 Likes

Yes, I am glad I can finally do that since the current AMD graphic software and drivers are such an abortion and uncalled for from a major company like AMD.

I am a programmer from way back when but it still galls me when a programmer decides they know better than the end user. When I used to program I had improvements because we made software to the user's needs not our own. This current batch of programmers seems to have forgotten that and are ruining the reputation of much better silicon.

I know Radeon Pro cards are at their limit but as you say, adjusting them for underclocking and faster fan speeds for custom situations would be nice.

Quite a workaround you had to do. Too bad it is harder to tweak the BIOS now too so that is not an option anymore.  Way too many things are getting too automatic for me. I am going to stick with Windows 7 on an AM3+ platform until I can see a path that lets me control things better and I can see an affordable tier since I am 8/4 cores already. It sucks I have a blank 6th monitor right now but I have been ignored here so far but I have seen others with the same problem going back years so I am thinking it is a software resource bug since most have 3 monitors max.

0 Likes

It might be possible to keep the Radeon Pro DUO connected and running but just disable the driver for the card in Windows Device Manager and then reboot.
I will see what happens in that case.
That means the Radeon Pro DUO card will be connected, burning power and disabled anyhow.
So disabling the NVMe slot in BIOS and removing power to the card is the better option overall.

I will put in a request to allow Wattman for monitoring, fan control, & underclocking w/o overclocking for Radeon Pro Cards.
Right now there is no good way to monitor what Radeon Pro GPUs are doing.

0 Likes

As much as I hate to say it but Nvidia's control panel just works. Sometimes less is more, a much barebone, simplified designed can be more beneficial.

By the way is this Radeon Boost feature a good one? Does it work well?

0 Likes

I tested Radeon Boost earlier in this thread. You can see some examples.
It "works" in the sense that it drops resolution to boost FPS when running in game or moving mouse rapidly on the few games it supports.
Some can find the resolution drop viually annoying / headache territory in the case where the character is running forward.
Rapid rotation is not such a problem since it is often a blur anyhow. 

Radeon Boost is unbalanced though as the FPS is not clamped to the value you get with character stationary.
In other words FPS ramps up to very high values with  mouse movement, or sometimes when running / turning.

If you game with Vsync off and FreeSync on that = Screen tear if the FPS > FreeSync Range of the monitor.
That problem could be soved/reduced by having Global FRTC control.
But that was removed in the Adrenalin 20920 Driver and tied to Chill_Max.
You cannot use Chill with Chill_Min = Chill_Max as Global FRTC in this case.
Turning Boost on will turn Chill off. They cannot be run at the same time.

I keep getting told we do not need Global FRTC slider back.
This is one case where you do.

0 Likes

>I keep getting told we do not need Global FRTC slider back.
>This is one case where you do.

Is there anyone in AMD with any common sense who will listen and the position to do something about it? It is good that AMD has all of that great silicon but it will fall by the wayside without proper support. Just look at the Amiga/Motorola CPU era. I loved the days of DMA without interrupt semaphores and other hardware innovations. Will better silicon be lost here? The best engineering does not always succeed and we are worse for it.

RE: Is there anyone in AMD with any common sense who will listen and the position to do something about it?
No.

I have been asking for improvements to Radeon Chill for over 3 years.
Radeon Chill is great technology but the way it is implemented is killing Keyboard Only Input FPS and also there are changes that could be done w.r.t. mouse movement that would save lots of power but still allow the user to achieve high Peak FPS when they need it.
They could have implemented those fixes on RX Vega 56/64 GPUs and made the cards far more competitive than they are or were seen.
No one listens.

0 Likes

I think they make the changes in 20.Q2.1 just to upset users like me.

I guess I will keep the AM3+ systems I have with Winblows 7 and the old Radeon Pro Driver frozen like that until I am in the driver's seat again.

Things are getting really bad for those of us who love and enjoy computers. We are surrounded by a bunch of fools.

I am sure we are not the only ones who feel that way.

bobpi wrote:

I guess I will keep the AM3+ systems I have with Winblows 7 and the old Radeon Pro Driver frozen like that until I am in the driver's seat again.

Things are getting really bad for those of us who love and enjoy computers. We are surrounded by a bunch of fools.

I am sure we are not the only ones who feel that way.

Windows 10 runs fine on AM3 platforms

0 Likes

I do not want to run Winblows 10 (Big Brother). Hence no Ryzen platforms. I could patch W7 for Ryzen but never felt the need.

0 Likes

Workaround to get the Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI with Adrenalin 2020 20.Q2.1 Drivers is to:
(1). Install 2019 19.12.1 first.

(2). Use Windows 10 Device Manager to point to the Adrenalin 2020 20.Q2.1 INF directory.

Then I get this with Radeon GPUs:
pastedImage_1.png
And this with a Radeon Pro GPU + Radeon GPUs:
pastedImage_2.png

Still don't like the new Adrenalin UI. I have found it adequate for managing the cooling on my RX 480, R9 Fury etc.

0 Likes

Exactly how I did it after you recommended! Once again, it is beyond me how they are concentrating on such useless new GUI when they could spend that time for adding features to the 2019 Edition. For example I would like to see FPS tied Radeon boost so adjusting the FPS dynamically to match the target resolution. Something like checkerboard rendering on the PS4 Pro or DLSS 2.0 on Nvidia would be appreciated.

Thanks - I am still not 100% convinced it is O.K. though.
Look at the Software Tab - lots of the version information is missing.

For example in Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 Install I see this:

Radeon Settings Version - 2019.1126.1955.35855
View Release Notes - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-12-1
Driver Packaging Version - 19.30.31.20-191126a-348909E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01410
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.13572
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.12
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.116
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.125

However with the Hybrid Install using the 2020 20.Q2.1 Drivers, information on the following is "Not Available"

Provider -
2D Driver Version -
Direct3D® Version -
OpenGL® Version -

Vulkan™ Driver Version -
Vulkan™ API Version -

Do you see the same?

Thanks.

0 Likes

lol I did not even notice that when I installed the latest version this week. But I remember it displaying correctly, at least the driver version was displayed correctly as I can remember. But I will check it next week as I am on the campus right now writing from my Intel-Nvidia powered XMG laptop.

I did not notice because I have all of my software set up  to ask me before doing any updates. And then I wait to see what happens to other people first. So I am still running the "previous" version.

OK so upon checking my software in the Radeon Settings menu here is what I see:

Radeon Settings Version  - 2019.1126.1955.35855

Driver Packaging Version - 19.50.29.27-200515a-355311C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2020
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01432
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.13587
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.12
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.137
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.133

colesdav wrote:

I think they make the changes in 20.Q2.1 just to upset users like me.

NVIDIA has also made lots of changes which broken many games using PhysX.

At least with it open sourced anybody who wants to use it can now.

Radeon Pro DUO vs GTX 690, this could be interesting

0 Likes

RE: NVIDIA has also made lots of changes which broken many games using PhysX.

I was talking about the GUI/UI Interface. Nothing related to PhysX.

What does "NVIDIA has also made lots of changes which broken many games using PhysX."
mean?

Which games are you talking about?

0 Likes

I must have 100 games in Steam that depend on PhysX if not more

some games need the older PhysX version, other games want a newer version

Ryzen is only being supported for Windows 10, love it or hate it. Windows 7 is not 6 months out of support.

If you need backwards compatibility I use Hyper-V but VirtualBox is popular

0 Likes

I have not seen that "PhysX" Problem.

I have even been able to run Nvidia GPU Based PhysX titles on AMD GPUs and enable CPU based PhysX effects using software plugin alternative with no problem on titles like Borderlands 2, Batman Arkham series.

There are very few GPU based PhysX games and Nvidia moved to PhysX support within game engines a long time ago.

I have not seen problems with that either.

As for "

Ryzen is only being supported for Windows 10, love it or hate it. Windows 7 is not 6 months out of support.

If you need backwards compatibility I use Hyper-V but VirtualBox is popular"

I said nothing about that.

0 Likes

Frontlines: Fuel of War is an example of a game I have to use a specific version of PhysX and I need the P1 card installed to be able to see the game's action at its best. This game is the worst example of binding to hardware I have seen. The game does work with Windows 10 but the P1 card is PCI and all I have seen for years are PCIe slots.

I got more games that depend on PhysX, lots of them from back in the day. More recent games are not so badly developed.

0 Likes

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise  2020.Q2.1 now has the new installer and this GUI/UI interface:
pastedImage_2.png

Thank you so much. for ruining the Pro GUI/UI as well.

If I have a Pro GPU installed (Radeon Pro DUO (Fiji) )

I get this, after some work. It does not install the Q2.1 drivers on the Radeon Pro DUO.
I had to install 19.12.1 on the Radeon Pro DUO in Windows update, and then 20.Q1.
pastedImage_1.png
There is no Wattman.

So now using the Pro Drivers to get away from the useless Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is no longer an option unless you have a Pro GPU installed.

Well done.