cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

ledruide24519
Journeyman III

I cant install ProRender on my mac, problem comes when it asks blender installation directory because I cant get to the content of Blender.app. Am I the only one having hard time on such a basic issue ?

I just can't select the Blender Installation Directory so nothing happens...

0 Likes
19 Replies
ledruide24519
Journeyman III

Installation error: Could not find the python3.7m executable at /Users/Shared/RadeonProRender/Blender/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.*/python/bin/python3.7m

0 Likes
heto
Journeyman III

Hi, I had, what I think is the same issue, and it was that I had to go in to system prefs and under security settings, general I had to allow the directory to be trusted. Then it worked. You might already have tried this....

Good Luck, H

0 Likes

Thank you but this is not the issue here. I get the installation complete screen but right after that, the error message mentioned above pops up. So I found the Python 3.7 folder in the application content, copied it in the Radeon prorender installation folder but it can't find it anyway. Maybe it was too naive as a solution... I really hope I find a way, this is pretty much my last chance to keep working on my MBP using an eGPU ! 

0 Likes
bsavery
Staff

This error is very strange.  Are you selecting /Applications/Blender.app when you install and it asks for the blender location?

How are you installing to get that error?

0 Likes
sjoerd
Adept I

Hi, I got the same error and got it to successfully install. I had to rename my blender application from "Blender 2.81" to "blender". Apparently the installer is hard-coded to search for the folder or application named "blender". Hope this helps!

0 Likes

Sorry, what is your folder structure?  You should select the folder where "Blender.app" is located.  Or are you saying your application is named Blender 2.81.app?  This is non-standard. 

0 Likes

I always name my Blender versions “Blender 2.xx” because I have multiple versions of Blender installed. Then I put them in my applications folder. When I selected the applications folder to install RPR it couldn’t find Blender and I got the same error as ledruide24519 posted above. When I renamed my Blender 2.81 application to “blender” it installed.

Just to be clear, when I download Blender it is just called “blender”, but I like to rename them.

0 Likes

Ok. well. As you can see our installer is expecting it to be "Blender.app".  If you want to install it manually after you can copy the addon zip file from /Users/Shared/RadeonProRender/Blender/plugin and install that in the blender addons preferences.

0 Likes
ledruide24519
Journeyman III

So I tried again after a week and..... It worked... I just ignored the pop up window and it successfully installed it but I have to say that it's very disappointing compared to eevee or even cycles! Maybe it's not set right but it seems impossible to work in rendered mode with only 3 cubes in the scene. I read a few posts and I'm not alone 

0 Likes

EEVEE is not a raytracer, it will be faster in many situations than RPR.  Cycles is much slower on my machine than RPR.  Until you give some more info of how you're setting it up and what hardware you are selecting it's going to be hard to help you.  

On my machine for viewport rendering I select one GPU, for final rendering, sometimes I use 2 depending on the speed difference between the two.  I don't use CPU rendering.  

0 Likes
ledruide24519
Journeyman III

Of course I'm on CPU, if I wanted to try, it was to avoid getting a pc. So I guess I have to take a chance to get external GPU + Box and return it if I'm not satisfied. My configuration :

MBP 15" 2019

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 

32 Go 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics Radeon Pro 555x 4 Go

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 Mo

I'm originally a professional musician and my external audio interface and my ram make this Mac an awesome workstation for what I do, studio and live acts speaking. It's stable and it never lets me down. But can I improve it to be fully operational for archviz too or do I have to get another station fully dedicated to 3D...? 

I love working with Eevee and I can get pretty impressive archviz photorealistic renders with it but on large scenes and with my graphics config.........

So if you have any recommendation, I'm all ears! I'm actually fascinated to find out what the best option for me. Exploring the graphics world, feeling like a kid!  

0 Likes

Hi! I have a Mac mini 2018, eGPU (Radeon VII in a Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) and two monitors connected to the eGPU. I found almost all of my information about eGPUs on egpu.io. Rendering on Cycles with an eGPU doesn’t work (Apple dropped openCL support) but Eevee and RPR work great. RPR even supports Metal, which decreases render times even more!

Hopefully this helps. If you have any questions, please ask 

0 Likes

Actually, this is all I needed to know! Thanks! I was thinking Razor X and Radeon 5700 XT 8Gb... 

0 Likes

I'm still hesitating for the card. I just got a Sonnet 650 on a good deal on ebay and I'm wondering if the difference of performance is worth the price of the Radeon VII compared to a Sapphire Vega 64. And the 16 Gb of the Vega Frontier is tempting too for the price !!! What do you think ?

0 Likes

On gpu.userbenchmark.com you can compare GPUs, I found that very helpful. Also, just like the Vega Frontier, the Radeon VII has 16 GB memory and is even faster than the Frontier. Have fun on your journey of GPUs

0 Likes

Haha good timing! My pretty low offer for a brand new Sapphire Vega 64 was just accepted on ebay. I will give it a try!

0 Likes
admin
Adept II

Another possible issue might be the file system is using case sensitive or case insensitive file system. The filename of the binary in ../Contents/MacOS is 'Blender' not 'blender'. Temp solution is to rename it to 'blender' before running the installer and afterwards rename it back. This solve the problem for me

0 Likes
admin
Adept II

If this happens, do this:

1) Go to Blender Preferences / Add-ons

2) Push the "Install" button

3) Go to the /Users/Shared/RadeonProRender/Blender/addon/ directory

4) Select addon.zip file and push the Install Add-on button

5) Once back at the Blender Preferences window, find the ProRender add-on in the list and check the box to enable it

0 Likes

Bingo. Thank you

0 Likes