Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

seanq
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 2700x freeze - UEFI settings?

Hi everyone,

I just submitted an email ticket to AMD but after reading through some of the threads here and seeing the responses, I had a couple additional questions I thought I would ask here. I am getting the random freeze / hang issue (not BSOD) that many people are having, that can only be solved by a hard reset. The system just freezes, mouse disappears, etc., almost always under normal circumstances like browsing with Firefox (not gaming). I've seen a couple threads here where people are talking about tweaking various BIOS / motherboard settings, and I wanted to ask how I should specifically go about them with my motherboard (ASUS B450 Tomahawk Plus).

The things I have seen suggested and would like to know how to do are:

- Disable Global C-States (could not find option in UEFI)

- Set power supply idle control to Typical Current Idle

- Manually set DRAM Vcore (don't know what this is)

- Set CPU Vcore loadline calibration

- Vcore SOC loadline calibration

- Best way to flash new BIOS on my Asus motherboard

I've pasted what I submitted to AMD below and would be interested to know if anyone has any other thoughts or tips. Please let me know! Thanks

_____

Hello,
I built a brand new PC about 3 weeks ago with the following parts:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ASUS Prime B450-Plus Motherboard
MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor Graphics Card (8GB)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB RAM (2x8GB)
Corsair CP-9020133-EU TX-M PSU (550W)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless network adapter
I am running Windows 10 (1909) with the latest updates (OS build 1863.752).
From the beginning, I am getting random freezes / hang ups, where the mouse disappears, keyboard input / caps lock stops working. The entire system doesn't immediately stop working: Spotify will keep playing, videos on YouTube don't immediately stop. But slowly each application will enter "Not Responding" state, network will disconnect, and the only way out is to reset the computer. I have left the computer "frozen" for over an hour to check if it will come out, but it never has. I never get BSOD, but often will get 4 or 5 of these hard freezes per day.
I have scanned the C: drive for errors, run system file checker, run windows memory diagnostic, verified that link state power management was off, and reset winsock catalog - still I get the errors. I tried doing a "soft reset" of windows (selected "keep my files") but that didn't work.
I updated the chipset drivers off of AMD's website, and got the latest radeon graphics card drivers as well.
The freezes never happen when gaming, but when doing something mundane like web browsing or other basic tasks.
I have checked, and there is nothing in the LiveKernelReports or minidump folder. As mentioned, I have never gotten a Blue Screen of Death, only these freezes.
In the event Viewer there are a bunch of errors. In the last 24 hours I have seven critical errors, all Event ID 41 (System - Kernel Power), from hitting the reset button on my PC. I have attatched a screenshots of all the Error events I've encountered in the last 24 hours. Note that I did the reset of Windows yesterday, which is why the 7-day numbers are the same as 24-hour numbers.
I've also attached a screenshot of  the list of removed apps that windows generated when I performed the reset. Since the reset, I have only installed some of these programs. I've included that list as a screenshot (generated from wmic on command line).
Please help me identify if this is a hardware issue. All of the parts are only 3 weeks old. It seems to me that I might have a faulty processor, motherboard, or graphics card, because the system memory and storage checks have produced no issues.
Thank you!
0 Likes
2 Replies
seanq
Journeyman III

Quick update: I found the Disable Global C-States and set power supply idle control to "Typical Current Idle" options in the BIOS and changed them. On reboot the computer froze immediately. So I rebooted and reverted to default settings. Going to try to flash a new updated BIOS to my motherboard now. Other than that I'm not sure what else to try.

0 Likes

Well, I figured it out. Going to leave this up in case anyone else has the same problem. For me, it turned out to be the RAM speed. I guess Ryzen processors basically need the RAM to be as fast as possible. My RAM was rated for 3000 Mhz but was running at like 1600 out of the box. Going into the BIOS and turning on the default DOCP profile boosted the speed up to 3000 Mhz (and automatically adjusted a bunch of other settings like SOC voltage) and I haven't had the freezes at all since. Hope this helps if anyone else encounters the same issue.

0 Likes