cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

MD unveiled its new Radeon RX 5700 line of graphics cards with 7nm chips at E3 last month, and with just days to go before they launch on July 7th, the company has announced new pricing. In the "spirit" of competition that it says is "heating up" in the graphics market -- specifically NVIDIA's "Super" new RTX cards -- all three versions of the graphics card will be cheaper than we thought.

The standard Radeon RX 5700 with 36 compute units and speeds of up to 1.7GHz was originally announced at $379, but will instead hit shelves at $349 -- the same price as NVIDIA's RTX 2060. The 5700 XT card that brings 40 compute units and up to 1.9GHz speed will be $50 cheaper than expected, launching at $399. The same goes for the 50th Anniversary with a slightly higher boost speed and stylish gold trim that will cost $449 instead of $499.

That's enough to keep them both cheaper than the $499 RTX 2070 Super -- we'll have to wait for the performance reviews to find out if it's enough to make sure they're still relevant.

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts 

1,953 Replies

Is that a 1600 watt PS?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I hearing this right? You own 4 FuryX GPU's?

Yes.
See the picture on the previous page.
Here are the 3D Mark scores:
https://community.amd.com/message/2934939?commentID=2934939#comment-2934939

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Yes.
See the picture on the previous page.
Here are the 3D Mark scores:
https://community.amd.com/message/2934939?commentID=2934939#comment-2934939

lemme know when you divest of the Fury cards, one would enough for benchmarking

0 Likes

Sorry but  have no intention of scrapping any of them any time soon. In fact I look for more.
I have FuryX's, R9 Nanos, Fury and now Radeon Pro Duo - all for blender and OpenCL work.

Following a few requests to AMD they now work with Radeon Pro Enterprise Drivers - see:
Please add support for Radeon R9 FuryX, Fury, Nano (Fiji based Radeon GPUs) in Radeon Pro Software f... 
https://community.amd.com/thread/247734 

Your best bet is Ebay, and currently the prices I can get them for are:

R9 Fury ~  100
R9 Nano ~ 150
R9 Fury X ~ 150 - 200
Radeon Pro Duo on Ebay ~ 200 - 250. But you might get lucky and get one cheaper.

Nanos tend to be the best looked after cards.
Don't go near any R9 Fury or Radeon Pro DUO that has had a fan replaced.

0 Likes

Might have to sell you my Nano when I upgrade later this year...

0 Likes

It's o.k. I think you should probably keep it and maybe use it as a secondary GPU or small pc build maybe?
I think they are good GPUs.
Very compact and easy to move around/connect up.

The central fan sticker does tend to fall off when they are used for Blender though.

Time I get away from topic of Fiji GPUs and back to "Big Navi" and Ray Tracing.

Have you seen this article?
LocalRay Interview - 'We've Partnered with One of the Leading Console Manufacturers on Raytracing' 
I thought it was interesting.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Also this:
AMD Promises Radeon RX Navi 2X GPUs Won't Use Blower Fan Coolers 

Sapphire Nitro cards are well made and small wonder why they are popular. The can take a licking and keep on ticking.

My EVGA GTX 1060 has only got one fan on it, its a smaller design which works fine. The card is thermally stable. The more expensive cards all have dual fan mashups due to the higher power requirements.

AMD has a reputation for higher powered cards which can edge out rivals. All that is needed is a big PSU with lots of 12V current.

0 Likes

I probably will, if for no other reason than to use as a backup GPU, since they aren't bringing that much on eBay, after fees maybe $100, and my previous backup card, the Radeon HD 5450, is long since out of support. It's going to be interesting though what will happen when AMD drops support for GCN based cards and Microsoft releases a new build of Windows 10, if the drivers will still be able to be installed. Logic says there shouldn't be any issues, but it IS Microsoft...

colesdav wrote:

Sorry but  have no intention of scrapping any of them any time soon. In fact I look for more.
I have FuryX's, R9 Nanos, Fury and now Radeon Pro Duo - all for blender and OpenCL work.

Following a few requests to AMD they now work with Radeon Pro Enterprise Drivers - see:
Please add support for Radeon R9 FuryX, Fury, Nano (Fiji based Radeon GPUs) in Radeon Pro Software f... 
Can AMD add support for R9 Fury, Nano, and Fury X  Series desktop GPUs in Radeon Pro Software for En... 

Your best bet is Ebay, and currently the prices I can get them for are:

R9 Fury ~  100
R9 Nano ~ 150
R9 Fury X ~ 150 - 200
Radeon Pro Duo on Ebay ~ 200 - 250. But you might get lucky and get one cheaper.

Nanos tend to be the best looked after cards.
Don't go near any R9 Fury or Radeon Pro DUO that has had a fan replaced.

I offered $80 and I now own an R9 Fury with HBM to add to the box of cards. Should be interesting to see how games run on it vs my RX 480.

Great - I hope the Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury works well for you.
It will be interesting to see what you think about the performance versus your RX 480.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Great - I hope the Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury works well for you.
It will be interesting to see what you think about the performance versus your RX 480.

Indeed, at $80 it down to where I like to grab uppity power pigs.

Card needs 300W so my HX1000i can cover that in style.

I have a 4K panel so immediately the card will be earning its electric needs.

Not sure how much overclocking is possible but the vendor has the OC version which is what I bought. All I know is extreme cards like this are not very common.

0 Likes

Here is sapphire info on the GPU:
SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 FURY Technical Overview 
They are using Trixx to Overclock the HBM in that article.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Here is sapphire info on the GPU:
SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 FURY Technical Overview 
They are using Trixx to Overclock the HBM in that article.

The article has a mistake, says the card needs 3 slots, but the image shows it needs only 2 slots so it can be stuffed into a multi GPU mashup easy enough.

0 Likes

Sneaky camera angles perhaps.
I am pretty sure the card is > 2 slots (40 mm).
Unfortunately Sapphire have dropped all card specs for older GPUs, so the card dimensions are not on their site anymore.
I can search though.
There is a picture on this review: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Review – Test Setup and Nitro Fury Up Close – Wccftech 
which shows a side view of the cooler.

0 Likes

Sapphire Nitro R9 FURY Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database 

It looks like a 3 fan version of my RX 480 so it should squeeze in fine. TechPowerUp say dual slot as suspected.

My HAF 932 has space galore for longer cards.

I only bought one card, even though the vendor has a pile of them.

With DX12 being more common now, single brute force cards seem to be the way forward.

0 Likes

Were they all ex-mining GPUs or where did they get them from?
I saw there were a large number of them sold.

Here are the specs for your card:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160812112312/http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=B962294... 

The card dimension = 45mm which is  > 2 slots.

0 Likes

The SKU for the card in the EBay picture is 11247-04 which is the lower clocked 1020MHz version.
However it should overclock well.

0 Likes

I am not worried, my X470 is a CFX capable board which is why I watch cards close to see if I can squeeze more in for amusement

My RX 480 is also a tad thick and it squeezes into place fine. Power pig cards are demanding for cooling.

Double ball bearing fans are why I stick with Sapphire.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

The SKU for the card in the EBay picture is 11247-04 which is the lower clocked 1020MHz version.
However it should overclock well.

This is also what TechPowerUp suggests.  Not much overclocking potential but you never know with the silicon lottery.

I wonder how well the card would work with the Fury X firmware and see if the rest of the CU can be coaxed into use.

0 Likes

I have an XFX R9 Fury and I can overclock the GPU SCLK by 10% to run it at 1100 MHz no problem.
I did not try to overclock it further.
I have not tried to unlock additional cores on the card.
I decided not to as I am more than happy with the performance as it is.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

I have an XFX R9 Fury and I can overclock the GPU SCLK by 10% to run it at 1100 MHz no problem.
I did not try to overclock it further.
I have not tried to unlock additional cores on the card.
I decided not to as I am more than happy with the performance as it is.

I recall a few tried the Fury X BIOS and they were able to get it working but had to undervolt the card to stabilize it

Others could not get the BIOS to work so they went back to the OEM version and loaded up the overclocking

Given you have quite a few cards, might be better to get some rack hardware for rendering with banks of video cards.

0 Likes

I got one already: https://community.amd.com/message/2915914 
The build has been "on hold" for a while and the GPUs I bought for it are already in use on other PCs anyhow.

0 Likes

This article discusses unlocking R9 Fury cards.
How-To - Checking to See if Your R9 Fury Can Unlock to a Full Fury X 
However I think some of the applications / programs it describes are outdated.
I was lookming into it in the past but decided I was o.k. with performance as it is.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

This article discusses unlocking R9 Fury cards.
How-To - Checking to See if Your R9 Fury Can Unlock to a Full Fury X 
However I think some of the applications / programs it describes are outdated.
I was lookming into it in the past but decided I was o.k. with performance as it is.

I was hoping the silicon lottery gods were smiling. Never hurts to check it out.

AMD has been known to pull a few tricks for market segmentation  that people discovered and were able to upgrade cards.

0 Likes

I have a Phenom II x3 that I could unlock the 4th core on and is perfectly stable. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

I have a Phenom II x3 that I could unlock the 4th core on and is perfectly stable. 

Exactly my point, which is why I am licking my lips for cranking up the Fury to insane performance levels.

I was thinking when I grabbed one card, of actually grabbing 2 of them for CFX but more and more games are DX12 and do not work so well.

0 Likes

It is not worth it unless you need the cards for compute.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

It is not wort it unlesss you need the cards for compute.

Not at my shop, cards are for gaming. 4K gaming needs high end cards like that R9 Fury to perk up the framerate.

0 Likes

You said "2 of them for CFX" 
CFX = CrossFire X? 
In that case it is not worth buying any two AMD GPUs for CrossFire today.

DX11 CrossFire X on some newer games that used to work well is starting to fail.
For example, Battlefield 1 is starting to show texture and flicker issues in DX11 Crossfire.

I assume some changes have been made to BF1 to improve performance or visual quality which has caused problems for DX11 Crossfire.
Maybe AMD made changes to the latest drivers that messes up DX11 Crossfire performance on BF1.
Maybe both.

In the past I would have reported that to AMD and requested a fix.
Now there is no point.

AMD have stated they do not support DX11 Crossfire in games.

Similarly DX12 multiGPU on heavily promoted games like Ashes of the Singularity and others is scaling badly.
There are very few DX12 multiGPU titles.
It is hardly surprising.

If AMD can't provide stable working drivers with a good GUI/UI for a single GPU, getting more than one GPU working well is very unlikely.

0 Likes

I would not count on a more than one card solution from anyone period. Nobody seems to be supporting this setup in any camp anymore. 

0 Likes

Yes - Nvidia have also de-emphasized DX11 SLI or "NVLink"  apart from their highest end cards and I think it is mostly supported for 3DMark bragging rights.
Few people can afford to spend > 1300 on a pair of GPUs just to try it out.
In addition those NVLink bridges are expensive. Some are ~ 100.
It will be interesting to see what they do with DX11 SLI  in Ampere.

0 Likes

The question is, in any DirectX 11 game, will Ampere not be powerful enough for 4k60Max?

Top end versions of Ampere - the "RTX 3080" version at least should be enough for most DX11 games if it provides 1.3-1.4x performance improvement over RTX 2080. I guess we will have to wait and see what Nvidia come up with.

0 Likes

You know, if Amazon could deliver it tomorrow instead of Tuesday...I'd get this one. I know it's twice the price it should be, but...

I think that Raytracing solution will only run on RDNA2 GPUs.

I have been doing a bit of "support/debug" earlier this week.
I was just discussing that exact GPU with someone on this thread:
https://community.amd.com/thread/243837 
Based on feedback on that thread it looks like the VBIOS Game Clock and Boost Clock on the GPU is clocked higher than the GPU Spec.In addition it looks like Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2. is applying an additional OC. Seen the same thing reported for a couple of Gigabyte GPU and one Sapphire Pulse RX5700XT reported to be running with Game clocks at Sapphire Nitro +/SE speeds.

I have asked AMD Support to look into it.

This might be the root cause of these GPUs crashing/blackscreening.

I would apreciate it if you could give the information in that thread a look over and let me know what you think please.
I was planning to be getting my mitts on a Gigabyte  RX5700XT OC to investigate it next week but unfortunately it's Coronavirus Lockdown time.

Thanks.

0 Likes

You could probably get that GPU for 474 rolls of Toilet Tissue in Europe right now, although it depends exactly which "Country" you are in.
Some joker is trying to sell 1 roll of Toilet Tissue on Ebay in UK for £1000.
People are hoarding it, resulting in others using alternatives causing sewer system collapse.
Won't be long now until $=£=Euro=1 sheet of toilet tissue.
Once everyone is in Lockdown.
Time everyone starts playing Tom Clancy's The Division/2 and WWZ.
Is there a PC version of The Hunger Games?
Good luck.

0 Likes

The Sims: Covid-19 Episode.