Hi I  have a very weird problem with my new build:
BOARD - Asrock
 B450M/ac
CPU - Ryzen 3200G

RAM -
 Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400
P
SU - Started with XFX XT 600W Bronze *Currently using an EVGA 600W GD Gold*

At this point I feel absolutely lost. The build doesn't post and gives a 5 short beep error code. I was told by the motherboard manufacturer that the error code indicates a graphics issue. Here's the weird part. I gave the build to a friend to test and he sent me a video that showed my very same build working with no problem bios and all. The only difference was his Power Supply, which was an old, basic one at that. I borrowed his power supply to test it back at my home and I got the same issue (no post, 5 short beeps). I personally tried at 2 other locations with no success.

I got another friend who is a computer technician to test it. He first tries it at my home and problem persisted. He took it to his brother's home who lives walking distance from where i live and WORKED no problem. His brother had the same EVGA 600W PSU that I later bought thinking the issue was the power supply I started with not having protective measures to withstand electrical surges which seems to be common in my area. It wasn't. Got the new PSU by recommendation of my friend and same problem. We got a certified electrician to test the house for low voltage and he showed us the voltage was stable and giving a really good output. 

I am really lost. I can't even find anyone online
with this issue because this is so unreal. Anyone ever experienced this?? Thanks.

0 Likes
11 Replies
justsayin
Journeyman III

Just built 'simple' system with a Ryzen 3 2200 G - lots of bizarre problems. Many hours spent before I discovered that my memory was 'bad'. Almost nothing is utilized to reach post and or bios setup (psu, mobo, processor, system memory.) Disconnect any/all unnecessary hardware (?PCI slot) and retest minimal configuration. If it still fails to post, problem likely in one of those components - and memory is most suspect.

The Ryzen is much pickier about memory than my past experience w/ Intel CPUs - and as long as you have checked all connections / APU / memory seated - I think system memory compatibility is most suspect.

Your memory is not on the QVL (qualified vendor list) for my Gigabyte mobo. Either not tested, or failed. You should begin with the QVL for your mobo (mine is online).  Having read a lot of support forums posts, it is clear memory compatibility is critical. I had to replace my memory with a 'more compatible' kit.

This may help:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/14/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-syst... 

0 Likes

Thanks justsayin‌ I will look into that for sure.

0 Likes

do you have the latest BIOS installed?

0 Likes

Hi hardcoregames™‌. Thanks for replying. No the bios is at 1.5. Latest version is 1.7. Would that really cause this issue?

0 Likes

jasonhaynes wrote:

Hi hardcoregames™. Thanks for replying. No the bios is at 1.5. Latest version is 1.7. Would that really cause this issue?

install 1.7 as it has new AGESA tables for the new 3000 series 

0 Likes

Thanks I will try that. I am holding out hope that it works.

0 Likes

jasonhaynes wrote:

Thanks I will try that. I am holding out hope that it works.

lemme know if the BIOS update improves the stability

0 Likes

Jason, just in case this is it, I'll elaborate a little. My build was very simple, Ryzen 3 2200 G on a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M mobo. 2x8GB DDR4, EVO 860 500 GB SSD (there was a little more - but I removed all for problem-solving).  The memory was on the Gigabyte QVL for the Ryzen + mobo combination - CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 ver5.30.

Except, Amazon doesn't include the 'version' number for ordering.  I was shipped: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 ver3.32

Honestly, I did not notice the version number.  Who knew?

That may be important: The Corsair version number indicates which foundry's chips are used on a particular stick. ver 3.32 and 5.30 are different manufacturers/foundries. A notation on an AMD website indicated that the chips used in the Corsair Vengeance 3000 ver 5.30 set that PASSED QVL were actually 2933 MHz chips. 

TWO kits of ver 3.32 had 1 stick that absolutely failed memory testing and caused bizarre behavior.  The other stick in each kit was fine. Since pairs of sticks in kits were supposed to be tested and certified to work together as Dual Channel - I find it hard to believe that Quality control was this bad. Reading the Amazon reviews and forums - it is clear that this is a very common complaint. (I tried both sticks from each pair in all 4 memory slots on the mobo, at both 'Default' DDR4 2133 MHz speed and at XMP overclocking - both 'good' chips passed, both 'bad' chips failed every time.)

The Ryzen 3 2200 G APU has system bus speeds at 2667 and 2933 MHz. As noted in the earlier link to this forum - the Ryzen has no 'memory divider' (multiplication factor) for 3000 MHz. The Intel controller seems to overlook this - the Ryzen controller is too picky with at least some (? many) memory kits.

I have ordered a Corsair Vengeance 2933 8GBx2 kit. I am very optimistic this will resolve my issue - we will see. This is sold by Amazon - but it did not appear in standard searches (I had to find the part number at Corsair site and search on that part number at Amazon).  Interestingly, the Amazon listing for this chip describes the *Style* as: "2933MHz C16 AMD"

G-Skill has a number of 2933 MHz kits.  They have "AMD COMPATIBLE!" printed prominently on their labels.

2667 and 3200 speed kits also seem to be 'successful' w/ Ryzens.  However, there is probably comfort in sticking with YOUR mobo's QVL list. Yours is online at: ASRock > B450M/ac   Based on the simple 'memory divider' assumption - 2400 OUGHT to be a compatible speed.

Your specific memory kit is NOT on your mobo's QVL list.

0 Likes

Follow-up:  Today my Corsair Vengeance 2933 MHz 2x8GB kit arrived from Amazon. Front of the box has the "RYZEN AMD" Trademark displayed. Popped them in - worked immediately - passed Win10 Memory test. It would appear this has solved MY problem.

IF I had bought the memory a decade ago in a brick & mortar computer store - this would have never happened.  The "RYZEN AMD" labeling on the box would have sufficed. 

I spent a lot of time after I was aware of the issue searching Amazon, NewEgg, Tiger, and even PCpartpicker compatibility sites - and there was nothing that would have directed me to AMD Ryzen compatible memory.

Reading this forum, mobo forums, and customer reviews at the merchant sites makes it clear this is a big problem.

0 Likes

Thanks so much hardcoregames™‌ Updating the BIOS had worked. Still don't know why it wouldn't post in my home specifically prior to that, maybe it is wiring in my home after all. Also i found that my HDMI to display port adapter was also not working so had to get a VGA to HDMI which worked. So...yea. Thanks again!

0 Likes
Divyansh
Journeyman III

Same problem happening with me . I think it is related to power supply . Did you fix it? 

0 Likes