cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amdbooger
Adept II

Adrenaline 2020 driver, broken freesync

This new driver says that freesync is "unsupported" with my monitor. 

Problem is, i have been using Freesync on this monitor, with 19.5.2 driver....for awhile, just fine.

This driver seems to have broken freesync for me.  Going back to 2019 adrenaline.  You all might want to look and make sure that freesync is actually working for you with this new driver release. 

Come on AMD......seriously?

How does it slip by QA that this driver essentially disables freesync, a technology with your name attached to it?

Anyways, for anyone else out there with this same issue, and it appears to be A LOT of us....just roll back your driver until they release a 2020 version that, well...works!

6 Replies

You don't notice any identical posts?

Read this one https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-2335 

0 Likes

I read those release notes.....and i just read them again to make sure.

Nowhere in there does it say anything under "known issues" about freesync being completely rendered useless.  

Just letting people know, revert.  2020 is no bueno. 

0 Likes

Have you tried disconnecting your monitor  from the graphics card...then reconnecting it to see if it gets recognized?

0 Likes

Hi and thanks for the suggestion,

Yes i did try, no dice....and sadly this gets worse....

After going to adrenaline 2020, i believed reverting to previous driver would fix my problem.

Now i cannot get freesync working, even with the previous driver that was installed.  It simply says "unsupported".  As of today, around noon, freesync was working, as i was watching my refresh rate (in-game overlay) in real time, while playing Rust.

All I did was "upgrade" to Adrenaline 2020, at AMD's recommendation...now it appears FreeSync is bricked on this monitor, as even previous driver versions (where it was previously working fine) now report it as "unsupported"

Now i am a bit pissed.

I understand this makes no sense, it makes no sense to me.  However, there is nothing that has been done to this setup, save for the installation of Adrenaline 2020.  I have never before heard of a driver install bricking FreeSync functionality, but....now i have seen it first hand.  How that works, is beyond me, but its happened. 

Just to note, i used AMD's cleanup utility to do a clean install for each driver package.  Anybody out there with bricked FreeSync who may have found a solution, im all open to suggestions. 

0 Likes

bump

0 Likes
mohredlou
Journeyman III

I have the same problem with my fury. Bump

0 Likes