cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kingturtle134
Adept II

Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2 Black Screen After Log In

Upon installing Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2 and logging in I receive a black screen with cursor. Ctrl+alt+delete does nothing and following the removal of the update in safe-mode using the cleanup utility the screen is still black.

0 Likes
16 Replies
kingturtle134
Adept II

Installing the update following running the AMD cleanup utility allowed me to finally get in. AMD drivers are a joke and for anyone for anyone who's not tech savvy they could be catastrophic. I would not recommend them to friends or family. Pay more for NVIDIA, it's not worth the driver hassle.   

Clean Installed with no problem here (but us long term users know to clean install annual updates).

Guess AMD should be more specific on this in release notes (in the first sentence of release notes so noobs can't whinge about their lack of pc knowledge). 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

The all knowing goodplay knows to make complete system backups in case his graphics driver bricks his entire PC. I guess not everyone has the superior foresight and possibly expects a major company to test their drivers before releasing them. Our bad. 

Never had a graphics driver 'brick' a pc.

But I do quarterly backups only because of Win.... stuff ups(and have iso of last/latest build).

You supply no INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, so who knows what/where it went wrong.

So be forward with some relevant info that points to amd problem and maybe someone will offer other suggestions.

Your turn...…….

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

How about instead of insulting people you supply useful information to "noobs" so that they can try and solve their issues without needless condescending comments that do not add too discussion.

And your earlier post explains what/how/if you solved it...you could share for other users.

0 Likes
sonojo
Adept I

The same problem here black screen after installed 19.12.2 Radeon  2020. I went back to 19.12.1 and it is fine now

aboy123
Adept I

I also had this on Radeon VII when I had my second monitor plugged in...

kingturtle134
Adept II

System Info:

Windows 10 1903 64 bit

Ryzen 5 3600

AMD RX 5700 Graphics Card

cobalt98
Adept I

I cannot update any Radeon drivers as it causes my PC to crash when installing. After using amd cleanup utility I have just a black screen and a curser now. Looks like I have to reinstall Windows for the 10th time since getting a 5700 xt. System backups don't even work.

Reboot to safe mode, run the amd driver cleanup utility, and then reinstall an older driver. Should get you up and running. I had to do it a few times before I could log in. 

The amd cleanup utility crashes my PC when I try to use it in safe mode

That sucks, can you at least uninstall the drivers in control panel? I've had luck with the 19.9 drivers. Maybe you could uninstall w/o the tool and try older drivers. Dealing with random black screens on older drivers beats not being able to log in at all. 

It's hard to believe AMD releases drivers in this state. I've never had a single driver issue with Nvidia. Last month I bought a rx 5700 and I've had contant issues. Outer worlds crashes, black screens, and now this. AMD needs to focus on making stable products before pushing them to the public. 

Unfortunately the only thing that seems to work is a fresh windows install. I finally called amd support on this and hopefully they can come up with a solution

fgsfds
Journeyman III

I was experiencing a similar problem - a combination of error 99, error 192, and error 1604 not allowing me to uninstall or install AMD drivers, nor allow me to use the AMD cleanup utility. TL;DR the solution for me was to follow the steps listed here: Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers 
I then chose win7-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.1.1-jan9 as the version to install (the most recent one at the time of writing) with all default settings, no factory reset.

Long version: I followed every single step in the aforementioned error codes' guides to no avail. Here's a list of ~80% of the things I tried, in order: AMD Adrenalin Drivers Fix, Error 99, Error 192, & Error 1604 - Pastebin.com 

And an archive link just in case: AMD Adrenalin Drivers Fix, Error 99, Error 192, & Error 1604 - Pastebin.com 
Google & other search engine result tags: windows 7, windows 8, windows 10.

0 Likes