cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dansmith822
Adept I

RX 580 8 GB high idle power after screen sleeps

Whenever my screen goes to sleep, my Gigabyte RX 580 8 GB power on idle goes from 4-5 W to 20~25 W.

It happens either if I turn the screen off using its button or with windows inactivity screen sleep. I'ts quite annoying since temps go from 42~45 to 50+ and the fans need to start kicking in intermitently to keep temps below 50. 

So far I've only found 3 ways to sort of deal with the problem (restore normal idle consumption):

1. Not letting the screen go of, never
2. Restarting the PC every time the screen goes of
3. Restarting the video driver with the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) software (sometimes this will bug Windows start menu and I'll have to restart Windows Explorer thru task manager too)

Not any of these alternatives is really satisfactory.

Has anyone ever dealed with a similar problem and would have any tips on how to solve it?

Thanks in advance, best regards!

0 Likes
5 Replies
hardreset
Elite

How about memory timing? Does not increase after screen sleeps ?

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.

Indeed! Memory frequency spikes from 300 to 2000 MHz. Voltage from 0.75 to 0.95 V.
Could this be a hint on how to fix it? (presuming it's fixable )

Before screen sleep:

pastedImage_1.png
After screen sleep:
pastedImage_3.png

0 Likes

What is your monitor and what is your screen refreshing?

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.

It's a LG 29WK600-W (2560x1080) running on 75 Hz. Just tried lowering it to 60 Hz but then it get's even weirder: power/memory/voltage gets locked on 20 W/ 2000 MHz / 0.950 V even if I restart the driver or PC.

Edit: it seems the problem has fixed itself after changing the refresh rate to 60 Hz and back again to 75 Hz. At least for now it seems I'm able to turn off the screen without the consumption spike. Later I'll test if the Windows inactivity sleep will keep thing working fine, but I'm guessing so. Thanks, mate! Any idea of what happened? lol

hardreset
Elite

I think this may be a problem with AMD drivers. 144Hz and 75Hz monitors increase memory clock speed and power consumption

0 Likes