cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

MD unveiled its new Radeon RX 5700 line of graphics cards with 7nm chips at E3 last month, and with just days to go before they launch on July 7th, the company has announced new pricing. In the "spirit" of competition that it says is "heating up" in the graphics market -- specifically NVIDIA's "Super" new RTX cards -- all three versions of the graphics card will be cheaper than we thought.

The standard Radeon RX 5700 with 36 compute units and speeds of up to 1.7GHz was originally announced at $379, but will instead hit shelves at $349 -- the same price as NVIDIA's RTX 2060. The 5700 XT card that brings 40 compute units and up to 1.9GHz speed will be $50 cheaper than expected, launching at $399. The same goes for the 50th Anniversary with a slightly higher boost speed and stylish gold trim that will cost $449 instead of $499.

That's enough to keep them both cheaper than the $499 RTX 2070 Super -- we'll have to wait for the performance reviews to find out if it's enough to make sure they're still relevant.

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts 

1,953 Replies

My RX 580 is already too slow for a few of my games to hit 60 fps at high and ultra settings at 1080p. 2 years ago this was not the case but the new games are really pushing things now. None of these games are using more that 6 gb at 1440p though, so I will welcome my RTX 2060 replacing that RX 580 on my 1080p TV when the new generation of cards comes out this year. It will be interesting to see the new offerings.

0 Likes

I opined that 16GB VRAM is not so far down the road, that and 32GB or more main memory.

PC gamers do not put up with the limitations of console peasants

0 Likes

I just can't wait for Intel cards to come out so maybe we will have a price war...Intel is (supposedly) spending $3 billion to keep their processors price competitive against AMD, so if they do the same thing to their graphics cards, we might actually see $200 midrange cards again, not $400...

0 Likes

Competition is a wonderful thing and I too sure hope to benefit from it! Can't wait to see what Intel brings to the table. A lot of people made excuses for Raja not doing better with AMD being limited by money and permission from those above. If Intel gave him free reign maybe he will come up with something special. If not then apparently it wasn't a money issue.

0 Likes

No doubt that the gaming community will welcome Intel's efforts to offer a third GPU choice,

this could be a game changer with a vengeance

Intel is not ready for anything until 2020 or later

0 Likes

I like that the RX 5700 XT can hold up  to GTX 1070 SLI

Bit of a power pig but << than dual GTX 1070

0 Likes

Here is the spec for the Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700XT: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8g-gddr6 

0 Likes

As someone who spent $500 on a Fury Nano, RIS is the least I'm looking for. Not seeing the RX 580 outperform it because they've optimized the drivers for it more would be another good start.

recall the flap over batman and denuvo when that game was unplayable on even the most elite rigs

I have that game it it is playable now after a lot of work by the developer to properly migrate the game to the PC properly

this story goes to show the problems of development and why consoles are now more pc like and that trend is continuing into the next generation, mostly to lower the cost of cross platform development

0 Likes

Yes! Denuvo is the big one I was thinking of and could not remember the name. Great example of really bad DRM. Thanks for thinking of it!  I personally wish they would lay off the DRM stuff with games. They all still get pirated anyway, cheaters gonna cheat and thieves gonna steal. You can't stop it. They only make it tough on the honest folks buying the games with the DRM. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Yes! Denuvo is the big one I was thinking of and could not remember the name. Great example of really bad DRM. Thanks for thinking of it!  I personally wish they would lay off the DRM stuff with games. They all still get pirated anyway, cheaters gonna cheat and thieves gonna steal. You can't stop it. They only make it tough on the honest folks buying the games with the DRM. 

Too many are so broke cannot afford even a basic box to play free games on.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Sounds like you can use the good old MorePowerTool and get near 5700 XT performance on a base 5700.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/radeon-rx-5700-unlock-overclock-undervolt 

0 Likes
left4dead666
Adept II

You know guys, girls whatevah!

My opinion: i always used AMD For Gaming! 10 years now maybe longer, but if seen AMD grow over the Years!, and i like to see a company grows, but human kind always want the best or even better pffff.......

Nvidea always took the lead! but i always played on high or ultra with no problems and everyone is talking about 4k Gaming or 2K and frame rates above 60+ or 120 but as you might "know" The human eye cannot discern more then approx~76 frames a second... so why would you even want 120FPS?

The only advantage would be highly noticed while watching sports... or things like that. 120Hz tvs or displays are common for sports because it provides a smoother appearance, but as i said before, the human eye really cant see more then 76~ FPS. also, if you are gaming, and using a computer, 120 is overkill.. just lock in V-Sync, FreeSync and save your GPU the work. (longer lasting GPU and coolertemps overall in your case. if you are using a console... they barely get 60FPS in most games, trying to pull 120 out of it would be unreasonable of the system.

getting back on that 4k and 2k yes it looks far more nicer and realistic but why do you need it for gaming? i just still can't understand it........

i have an Ryzen 5 3600x and a RX5700 XT and at 1080P ultra settings i reach above 76Fps but i capped it to 76Hz and its fine for me i don't have problems and i'm playing the latest games on 1080P 76 Fps and it doesn't go below 60Fps.

0 Likes

RE: the human eye really cant see more then 76~ FPS.

As far as I know the human eye can detect ~ 220 FPS, according to USAF study. It depends on the person though. Everyone is different.

Having 120-144Hz for competitive esports first person shooters is helpful according to those who participate.
Generally I am o.k. with 59-74Hz at 4K with FreeSync range of 40-60 or 40-75, but I am not a competitive gamer.
I do know people who find anything less than120Hz unacceptable.  

Congratulations that you have an RX5700XT.
I think they should only cost ~ 250-300 though. 

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

RE: the human eye really cant see more then 76~ FPS.

As far as I know the human eye can detect ~ 220 FPS, according to USAF study. It depends on the person though. Everyone is different.

Having 120-144Hz for competitive esports first person shooters is helpful according to those who participate.
Generally I am o.k. with 59-74Hz at 4K with FreeSync range of 40-60 or 40-75, but I am not a competitive gamer.
I do know people who find anything less than120Hz unacceptable.  

Congratulations that you have an RX5700XT.
I think they should only cost ~ 250-300 though. 

When they are even in stock in Canada NewEgg wants over C$600 for a RX 5700

0 Likes

I didnt pay that much for the Card!

I have ordered all the components and build it my self i have the RX5700XT from Radeon so its not from Asus, Sapphire, of any other manufacturer. 

But like i said before there are certain points that AMD needs to work on but its improving so its fine for me. I can understand that people who make money with gaming have troubles.  But also Nvidea have certain critical points i read about the RTX Cards and i read alot of negative stuff.  The only thing i dont understand from both manufacturers is that they bring out a new Graphics Card but there is still some problems with it or the software......

0 Likes

RE:

I didnt pay that much for the Card! I have ordered all the components and build it my self i have the RX5700XT from Radeon so its not from Asus, Sapphire, of any other manufacturer. 

Sorry for making any assumptions. I have been looking around and I cannot find an RX5700XT for what I consider a reasonable price. It is just my opinion.

Are you being serious though? Are you actually going to build a Graphics Card from individual components and your own PCB to save some money?
I cannot see that being easy or economical.

If you are serious them please make a YouTube video about the left4dead666  RX5700XT and ask Gamers Nexus and or Hardware Unboxed to do a review of it.
Those two reviewers, especially Gamers Nexus, have done many GPU teardowns of commercially available RX5700XT showing things not to do and how to get it right.

0 Likes

I didn't say that my friend i payed 1800 euro for my new build PC, i would never buy cheaper components to save money  this is my second own build pc and with my first one i did buy cheaper components but i had alot of problems with it. I sued the company where i bought it cause they deliver components that where broke from the BoX. And i won the case! Received enough money back to build a PC for 2500 or more but seriously why would i cause i dont game 4K. Than i build this PC from components from a good company with premium components.

But i have the receipt in my hand and i payed the AMD Price for the Rx5700XT sorry thought it was cheaper. But my opinion its worth my money i dont have problems and i easy play ultra settings 1080P above 85 fps and in some games i reach 100+

I think its different per person i hear people complain but i also hear people with no issues

0 Likes

OK thanks for explaining.

The issue is that what should have been a mid range 200-250 replacement for the RX480/580 is now a 400-450+ card.
Yes the RX5700XT performs better, but it should do 3 years on.

It seems that GPU prices were inflated due to GPU mining boom.
Nvidia introduced the Turing GPUs which do have additional die area / hardware for RTX/DLSS/AI but even so they were priced significantly higher than Pascal equivalent. There have only been a very small number of games that can use RTX features and DLSS has problems.
Now the RX5700XT which were going to be called the RX680 and have same die size as orignal RX480 cards yet cost much more.
Inflated prices seem to be the new normal.

0 Likes

Does AMD Have any High End GPU's?

Cause RX5700xt feels high end to me!

But maybe im wrong?.....cause you can play 1080P ultra settings with 70+ Fps

0 Likes

The 5700XT replaced the RX 580/590 in the product stack, it is an upper midrange card, and also costs over double what the 580/90 does. The Radeon VII is the only current "high end" card, and does not even come close to any of nVidia's high end cards 2080/Super/Ti or Titan.

Given the performance of the RX 5700 XT I cannot see it being priced that high.

Probably digital coin miscreants are the problem as usual.

I will simply wait on the sidelines and wait for them to surface on eBay cheap.

0 Likes

No it will not be and is not GPU mining causing exisiting prices.
If it were then you would not be able to get your hands on an RX5700XT.
It is mining prices though.
I do not think the prices will drop until RX580/590  and Vega 56/64 retailer inventory clears.
The Navi die size is ~ same as Polaris so it should be possible to cut RX5700XT prices in future.

0 Likes

I think that GPU based mining is moving to algorithms that require >> 8GB VRAM which cause problems for the latest mining ASICs.

0 Likes

It gives better performance per dollar than the NVidia 2060 Super which is priced at the same level.

GeForce RTX 2070 Super vs. Radeon RX 5700 XT: 37 Game Benchmark - TechSpot 

0 Likes

ajlueke wrote:

It gives better performance per dollar than the NVidia 2060 Super which is priced at the same level.

The Radeon cards are more comparable to RTX 2060S 

Gaming at 4K has challenges galore and 8GB is hardly enough VRAM to contain game demands.

0 Likes

And in the same vein

Rumor: nVidia To Restart RTX 2070 Production &amp; Cut Price (WCCFTech)

The problem is that the 2060 Super and the 2070 Vanilla perform so similarly and are specced so similarly (I'll use Wikipedia's table for ease of comparison), that a 5-10% performance improvement for $50-$75 more, as clocks and cooling will vary a great deal between nVidia's board partners...Still, if nVidia can target the 2070 Vanilla at the $425-$450 mark, that's really going to have to make AMD slice prices...

This bigger problem is that the RTX 2060 Super loses to the RTX 5700 XT at that price point.

The RTX 2070 Super is the same dies size as the RTX 2080/2080 Super but sells for the same as the original RTX 2070 (2060 Super die size).  So every RTX 2070 Super NVidia sells is far less profitable than the RTX 2070 was.  That is the problem they have created for themselves with dedicated ray-tracing hardware, and why that approach ultimately won't be sustainable.

We will have to wait and see. With AMD in its own self inflicted mess, anything which results in lower prices for consumers is a good thing.

Here is a roundup of "Cheap" RX5700XT.
Bad title, 400-450 is not cheap for a mid range RX480 replacement GPU in my own opinion, but never mind.

Not long to Black Friday on Friday November 29, and I hope that there will be some good deals and prices will drop.

Cheap Radeon RX 5700 XT Roundup, Red Dragon, Asrock Challenger, MSI Mech, Sapphire Pulse & More! - Y... 

They recommend the Gigabyte RX5700XT.
Radeon™ RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global 
It is > 2 slot card though.
The PowerColor Red Dragon 5700XT the winner for me, and I will not be going for the ASRock Challenger OC cards now based on all of the reviews I have seen.  

0 Likes

Right now I wouldn't advise buying any AMD Navi or nVidia RTX card.

With AMD they are too expensive, their prices are way too close to nVidia's to make sense at this time, and lack ray tracing, meaning their "future-proof-ness" is severely hampered, especially given the advancements Microsoft and Intel are making into ray tracing which is making it much more accessible to even the low end cards and is allowing it to be implemented in even low spec games such as Minecraft and World Of Tanks, not to mention their drivers and features are quite lacking compared to nVidia at this time.

With nVidia, their prices are higher than AMD as they have no real competition, and with Ampere so close, 1H2020, and with the amount of rumors surrounding them, including much faster, power efficient, and a large ray tracing improvement, there's the distinct possibility that it will be to Turning what the HD 4000, 5000, and 7000 series for AMD were for their predecessors, large improvements in performance, not just incremental little updates, but even if it isn't the case they're still too soon on the market to justify an RTX Turing card at their current prices.

Right now, if I absolutely positively had to buy a GPU...it'd have to be the GTX 1660 Super. Its performance and speed are linearly higher than the RX 590 (22.4% both) as the 1660 Super is +/- a couple of FPS of the 1660 Ti, but power consumption is half of the RX 590, and drivers are more feature rich. Turing RTX is twice the price and shouldn't be considered at this time. There is an argument the RX 580 would be a stopgap until Ampere due to its low price and $50 jump to the 1660 Super, as I have zero faith in AMD to repair the fuster cuck of a Radeon situation by then since Lisa Su has shown absolutely zero indication of a price or performance war the way she has with processors against Intel.

I would like it if AMD would offer a card with GTX 2080 Ti performance 

I figure 76 to 80 RDNA CU would be needed to achieve that

0 Likes

"Right now, if I absolutely positively had to buy a GPU...it'd have to be the GTX 1660 Super."

You can wait and see what the lower end Navi GPU's bring.  If Red Dead 2 is any indication, Navi seems to be doing really well with console ports.  I imagine that will also be the case for Death Stranding.

0 Likes

I don't think they will be much of a factor considering their pricing strategy of matching nVidia instead of competing against them. Below the mid range RX 5700 series is where price, performance, power, and features all matter, and unless AMD is able to bring GTX 1660 Super (or greater) performance for under $200, they're not going to stand a chance. Also with Ampere due out relatively soon, there is the distinct possibility the RX 2060 may be pushed down into the same price bracket until inventory is cleared, and by then the possibility a ray tracing enabled Ampere based card may replace that, leaving AMD to yet again compete with outdated hardware the same way the 3 year old RX 500 series is now against the GTX 1650 and 1660.

0 Likes

I will wait to see how low the prices for RX5700XT go on Black Friday.
I am still not convinced that the RX5700XT drivers are stable / working o.k. yet, but I do think much progress has been made.
Probably best to wait until February 2020 after Adrenalin 2020 release has been out for a while. 

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

I will wait to see how low the prices for RX5700XT go on Black Friday.
I am still not convinced that the RX5700XT drivers are stable / working o.k. yet, but I do think much progress has been made.
Probably best to wait until February 2020 after Adrenalin 2020 release has been out for a while. 

Drivers are stable with my RX 480 so I suggest looking at other ideas for stability woes

0 Likes

I was referring to posts like this. Some fixes to drivers have been implemented, but it looks like there are still problems to address.

https://community.amd.com/thread/243837
Since my new XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid was rather unstable for~ 1 year and similar with R9 Fury X/Fury/Nanos, I believe the people posting are genuine. 

0 Likes

Both AMD and nVidia users with bleeding edge new hardware can gripe until the cows come home.

It takes time to fix drivers and middleware

0 Likes

Not going to drop to $200 where it should be for a MID RANGE card, and by February 2020, Ampere details should be on the net.