cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

orh93
Journeyman III

Both Chipset and GPU Drivers causing system crash on install

Hi all, I really hope you can help me. I've built a few PCs before but never come across a problem like this.

I'm trying to install drivers on my new x570/Ryzen 3700 based rig, but trying to install either the AMD chipset drivers or the driver for my Radeon RX 5700 leads to a system crash. Both cases are identical. When I try to run the installer I can choose express or custom install. Regardless of which I choose, the installer then goes for about 5-10 seconds on the 'detecting hardware' or 'checking for drivers' stage before first freezing, and then shortly after causing an unexpected reboot. Event viewer indicates event ID 41 and task category 63.

I have tried all the steps in this article to no avail: Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems 

P.S. I'm not at all sure if it's at all related, but the system clock is showing about 7 hours ahead despite the time being set to automatic. and in the correct time zone, and the pc being connected to the internet.

- CPU: Ryzen 3700;

- GPU: Radeon RX 5700;

- Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS;

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) 2400MHz;

- Storage: Corsair MP600 M.2 1TB

0 Likes
2 Replies
yarddogg77
Journeyman III

I'm having the same exact issue on a MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi board, 16 gigs ddr4 Corsair, and a MSI RX 5700 Mech graphics card. A Samsung SSD 850 Pro 500 gig HD. It's frustrating me so bad. The only drivers that will install are the ones that came on the Dvd. It kills me that a stand alone installer works great without flaw every time, but MSI or Radeon have no options for an installer that actually works. All they have available is their broken atidxx.dll file that windows 10 no longer supports. I talked to Microsoft and she gave me a Windows 10 1803 iso because she thought 1909 may be causing this issue. I've tried Windows 10 1703, 1803, 1903, 1909, and all of them produce the same result. When I try to install any AMD driver using hardware detection from ATI software, it freezes, then crashes. I even got stuck in an endless loop of freeze, shutdown, reboot, with no time to stop the program. It kept trying to fetch the files online repeatedly on boot just to crash again. I finally figured out to pull the ethernet cable to stop the cycle. I'm going to return this motherboard because there is no resolve. x570 chips are 3rd gen, with a 4th gen PCIE slot, and seem to be buggy. It also freezes and crashes to reboot when I try to scan for hardware changes in device manager. Something is seriously wrong with this motherboard and I'm done with it. MSI doesn't seem to answer the phone either. Have you found any resolve? I've went through every setting in my bios and am sure it's set up right. Can't find any resolve for this.

0 Likes
yarddogg77
Journeyman III

I found the solution. There are 6 Sata drives on the motherboard. #1 and 2 are software controlled drives. Trouble is the software isn't so good being that the X570 chipset was one of the earliest 3rd gens. Optical drives (DVD/ROM) identify as a storage device but have no partitions or files. It confuses the system during hardware detection. If you unplug your DVD drive from the sata port, the drivers will install just fine. While you're at it, you should connect your SSD Sata drive to any port between 3-6, because they are native sata controlled and you will have faster transfer rates. My #1 port was costing my SSD about 25% performance loss. 

0 Likes