cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

he3ck
Adept II

VSync Always Locked To 30 FPS

So I've recently moved from a 1060 to rx 5700 xt because it has similar performance to the 2070 but for a much cheaper price. It was fine on paper but I've noticed that I've been having a lot of small problems that I have to try and figure out as I use my new card. I know that amd drivers aren't the greatest thing in the world and I've been noticing that more and more. The problem I have right now is that whenever I enable v sync in a game it caps my fps to 30. I obviously don't want this since I just spent $400 on my new card and want to be getting a full 60 fps (2560x1080p). I can get around this problem by enabling the enhanced sync option but for some games (I've noticed mainly older ones), this doesn't do anything at all. I really noticed this problem when I tried playing doom and its adaptive sync option wasn't working for whatever reason, but when I turned vsync on my game was automatically capped to 30fps. All the questions that people have asked before seem to be answered by "your system can't run it at 60 fps so it just brings it down to 30". But if my ryzen 5 1600 and rx 5700 xt can't run doom at 60 fps (it can just fine I get 70-90 when vsync is off) then I have a bigger problem on my hands. To make a long story short I'm looking for any advice anyone has to help solve this problem. If its a known driver problem or if there is a workaround, anything helps. Thanks in advance

7 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Games may be using 30 hertz. AMD drivers don't have this kind of problem. Try removing 30 hertz definitions with CRU software.

Note: CRU software changes the settings of your monitor and may cause damage. Changes must be made with caution.

If the game caps to 30 FPS with 60 hertz, you may contact to AMD.
Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

if you mean my monitor is capped at 30 hertz I know it's not so I don't think that's the problem

Excuse me. My English is sometimes inadequate. I'm trying to tell that if your monitor shows a game with 60 hertz refresh, vsync will cap it to 60 FPS, not 30 FPS. You should check refresh rate of your monitor. If your monitor is running with 30 hertz refresh (with a game), you can fix this problem with a software such as CRU. (I hope I could write clearly.)

0 Likes

I don't think its my cru but last time I tried making a custom resolution it gave me a weird glitch where lines would flash black or white and I couldn't delete it so I had to reinstall my drivers all together, but Im pretty sure the vysnc problem didn't get fixed. The specs of my main display show that its 60 hz and my secondary display is 60 hz as well

0 Likes

something to add it looks like the v sync problem is a problem with any game I play

0 Likes
khun_doug
Elite

There are some really important pieces of information missing from your post. What type of monitor are you using? You say the FPS goes over 60 when VSync is off. What is the refresh rate of the monitor? Is the monitor FreeSync capable? What version of Windows are you using? Are you connecting via HDMI or DP? Have you checked the monitor to see if there is something in there that is restricting the refresh rate? What version of Adrenalin are you using? In Adrenalin there is Display tab. In there you will find a lot settings that are specific to the display. Have you checked those to be sure your display is correctly recognized by Adrenalin?

I would say that Adrenalin may not be the same as the NVIDIA GeForce stuff, but I find the driver suite to be fully capable. I have several games installed and all work as expected with refresh rates running stable 144 FPS. Radeon Chill is another nice feature. I also came from a 1060 to a Radeon VII. It was an adjustment going from NVIDIA settings to AMD settings, but I found everything that was needed to be there.

One thing that may be really handy is to being your system up in Safe Mode and use DDU. That would be the best way to be sure all the NVIDIA stuff is removed and that Adrenalin gets a clean install. After DDU and a reboot, then install Adrenalin and see what happens.

One final suggestion. After you run DDU and have a clean driver install, try running Uniqine to test your system and see what the results are. Unigine will give you some stats and show the strengths and weaknesses of your system.

spardasieg
Adept II

It only happens with Ultrawide I assume? 

RX 5700 artifacts at 75hz? 

Many of us are also having that issue, set the games resolution to 16:9 and I bet it locks it to 60hz/60fps, this is a driver issue, I already reported it to them by email, I suggest you do the same, more reports, the faster a fix comes out.