cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

Normal Glitch RPR 2.0.112

Hey there!

When using unorthodox geometry (Boxcutter and Bevel Modifier applied) i run into problems with using Normal Maps.

Here is the rendered shading with and without connected Normal Map. Tried everything from removing potential double vertices, harden normals, delete custrom geometry data, auto smooth...

Screenshot (31).png

Screenshot (32).png

7 Replies
nervagon
Adept I

I've experimented with lower-poly and non-quad, non-SDS geometry in prorender and I've come to the conclusion that prorender simply cannot render non-SDS geo properly. The engine doesn't calculate vertex normals in a reliable manner. You need all quad geo with a high amount tessellation, or you are going to get artifacts. The same meshes will render fine in octane, cycles and redshift. If this is your workflow, I would recommend those other renderers.

0 Likes
daquteness
Challenger

The problem is visible even in the render without Normal map, so it must be something else. This usually happens with planar but concave shapes. Joining the top of the two holes "should" fix it. Worked consistently for me before at least.

0 Likes
bsavery
Staff

Need a scene for this.  

0 Likes

prorenderBlackLines.png

0 Likes
bsavery
Staff

So this looks like a similar core RPR bug that we have for edge geometry.  However the original poster's comment looks different.

0 Likes

OK. Hopefully OP can share the scene. I'm just glad to see that what I am seeing is a recognized bug, and known issue! No thread-jacking intended here, just thought my troubles might be related. Thanks, bsavery

0 Likes

Hey there!

Here comes the file from the original post.

Sorry for being a bit late with this, but i guess my sisters' wedding is a good excuse...

0 Likes