cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

lastquest
Journeyman III

AMD uProf is stuck in Translating Raw File...

Hi all,

after a Time-based Sampling session of my application uProf is stuck in the state where is Translating Raw File.

I tried several times fixing the error the profiler was showing (no IBS enabled and no Administrato rights) but it keep getting stuck there.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniele

0 Likes
8 Replies
swarup
Staff

Hi Daniele,

We have released uProf 3.0 recently (https://developer.amd.com/amd-uprof/). Please use this latest version and let us know how it goes. Also, let us know few more information: platform details, OS details, profile duration, profile settings/config selected (e.g. Symbol Server, etc.)

P.S. - "No IBS Enabled" means IBS MSRs are disabled on your system, so IBS profiling can't be performed. "No Administrative rights" means uProf is launched as a regular app. Both of these warnings should not impact time based sampling selected by you.

0 Likes

Hi Swarup, thanks for helping!

I tried with uProf 3.0 too and the result was the same.

I'm trying a Time-based Sampling with a timer interval of 1ms, and I profile for 5 seconds after a 10 seconds waiting.

Here some details of my configuration:

cpu - ADM Ryzen Threadripper 2950X

ram - 64gb

gpu - Nvida RTX2070

os - Windows 10 pro 

My env var set to:
_NT_SYMBOL_PATH=srv*C:\SymbolCache*https://msdl.microsoft.com/downloads/symbols;

I received tips that it might related to a very (very) long symbols resolution but no matter which _NT_SYMBOL_PATH I set and if symbols are cached locally or not I keep getting stuck.

0 Likes

Hi lastquest‌,

As you have set the env var _NT_SYMBOL_PATH, uProf will try to download the Microsoft symbol files from the Microsoft Symbol Server for all the Windows DLL files contributing samples during profiling. This symbol download activity would take time. This download only happens only once per DLL file. Hence, for the first time it would need some time to download the files. Next profiling onwards, it would take lesser time to download symbol files.

To avoid symbol download, you may clear env var _NT_SYMBOL_PATH before profiling. In such cases, uProf would not be able to resolve the function names for Windows DLLs.

~Swarup

0 Likes
petrsm
Journeyman III

Hello,

I have tried latest version of uProf (3.1.36) and it always freezes in process of translating raw data as described

above by Danielle. My OS is: Windows 10 1903 . I tried to translate the same raw profiling data in Windows 7 (in virtual machine) and process finishes in few seconds without any issue.

Are there any know fixes / workarounds which would enable me to use uProf on Win 10 ?

Thanks !

Petr

0 Likes

Hi petrsm‌,

Please check if the env var _NT_SYMBOL_PATH is set on your Win 10 system, like it is set for lastquest‌. That could be one reason for long translation time. If so, you may try clearing this env var before profiling.

~Swarup

0 Likes

Hi Swarup,

I tried both variants:

1) _NT_SYMBOL_PATH set to appropriate value  (as per lastquest)

2) _NT_SYMBOL_PATH cleared

In both cases, result is the same. uProf becomes stuck during translation of raw data. In case of 1), there are no

symbols appearing in C:\SymbolCache folder, so I guess it is not stuck in symbol loading.

Thanks for help anyway

Petr

0 Likes

yes, same situation here, last time I tried I left uProf running for more than 8 hours but no progress on that translation. 

0 Likes

Hi petrsm‌,

Try with the latest AMDuProf v3.2 version available at https://developer.amd.com/amd-uprof/

This release contains fixes for faster processing of raw data apart from other features.

Also try to unset _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable and check if it helps.

0 Likes