Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

dj2018
Adept II

temp too high radeon hd 6750

hi all..

I seem to be suffering a high temperature boost when my pc is in idle... can someone give me some input... my temp on my videocard is reaching above 65 and my pc is only in ide or i'm looking at some e-mails... I've checked the fan for debris bt it's all clean as I clean regular in my system...

is my video card coming to the end?

can I place a bigger cooler fan on it but using the existing plug in points on the video cards board?

I will await for any input

thank you

0 Likes
18 Replies
noodles59
Miniboss

sometimes it helps to reapply fresh thermal paste but since this card is vintage (from 2011) perhaps a good chance to upgrade the whole antique thing?!

If the thermal paste has never been replaced since you purchased the GPU card it is possible that it is too old to conduct heat properly due to it being dried out and hardened. Possibly removing the old thermal paste completely with isopropyl alcohol and reapplying a high quality thermal paste may lower you temperatures back to normal again. You can probably go to Youtube and see a video on how to remove the cowl and apply thermal paste again.

That being said, it could also be your GPU fan is going bad and not running as fast as it should to keep the GPU cooler or the fan's bearings are worn out. Does the fan sound excessively noisy or like a rasping noise when it is running?   Are the heat sink coils clean and not clogged with a oily film and dust?

If the GPU fan and coils are good then most likely replacing the thermal paste will do the job of keeping the GPU cool again. If not Post back again with what the GPU is doing.

dj2018
Adept II

hi there... thanks for all your replies.... I do have another card but unfortunalty the gpu chip is dead in the water, and if I could only get it fixed and working  I would be happy and content with that, but I don't think that that idea is possible... is it?

0 Likes

you would need another good GPU Chip from another bad card and then you would need special de-soldering and soldering equipment to replace the bad GPU chip.

You would need to take the GPU card to a repair shop where it will probably cost more to fix than a new modern GPU card. It is not really worth repairing unless it is still under Warranty.

Best thing is first re-apply the thermal paste and see if that fixes the overheating problem. You card is obsolete and not supported by AMD anymore with updated drivers. Otherwise is best to buy a new supported GPU card.

0 Likes

hi..

thanks for that... I understand that the cost to have the card with the dead gpu fixed  and most probably to buy a new amd card. I've had people tell me to buy an nvidia,but I hate nvidia… I've always stood by amd even when I owned 2 x1950 pro's in crossfire..... so I think I will shop around now there is January sales on I might be able to pick up a beefy amd card for peanuts..

thank you for your help

0 Likes

quick update!!!!!!

I replace the thermal grease on my gpu card today.

the old grease under the heatsink and fan was basically nothing there, cleaned up both the cap of the gpu chip and heatsink base and re-applied one sop on thermal grease in the centre of the gpu chip. it has lowered the temperature but still in my knowledge is a little too high is still runs at 60 so it has lost 5 from the first time I made this post..

I am however considering if I can that is either place a bigger heatsink and cooler above the gpu chip to tide me over for now until I can look at buying a more modern and upto date amd video card....

0 Likes

GPU cards are made to be able to withstand high temperatures. If it doesn't go above like 85c then no need to worry. GPUs can withstand higher operating temperatures than CPUs. 

This website gives some very good information concerning CPU and GPU Operating temperatures while under idle or under load. It mentions the same thing I mentioned in my first statement: https://www.wepc.com/tips/optimal-cpu-gpu-temperature-gaming/

NVIDIA Maximum temperature

NOTE: The temperature reading of the following AMD graphics cards are the stabilized temperature readings from Furmark/OCCT tests. These were the hottest recorded GPU reading and not the average.

AMD Maximum Temperature

0 Likes
dj2018
Adept II

hi ...

since putting thermal paste on my gpu chip on my card and temp is lower.... ive playing an online game and now I get this

can you tell me if i'm too late

and my video card is dying?

I will await for any help..

so sorry the image is small but I think from what you see it will give you an indication if my video card is fluffed..video card.jpg

0 Likes

If you are talking about the artifacts (color short stripes in the photo) Does that happen only during this one game or all the time?

If it happens all the time even during the desktop, it is possible it may be an indication your GPU card is going bad.

Why don't you download an GPU stressing software like AIDA64 or OCCT and see what happens when your GPU Card is under heavy load or stress. That may give you a better indication of the condition of your GPU card.

If you can afford it you can purchase a good modern supported GPU card for less than $200.00.

0 Likes
dj2018
Adept II

hi.

thanks for the reply … I will download that now, and yes it happens everytime, but when I use my pc to web browse I don't get anything like artifacting only when I game play.. I will come back with further information once I've run the test... thanks once again

0 Likes
dj2018
Adept II

hi.

a quick update....

I downloaded one of those programs and started it and as soon as it ran artifacts all over my screen so only answer is that my gpu is tattered?

0 Likes

Which program did you use to stress test the GPU card? OCCT also checks for errors (if checkmarked) while stressing the GPU card.

Reading online seems like Furmark is the best program to stress test your GPU. OCCT is good also.

What temperatures were you seeing when stressing the GPU card?

0 Likes
dj2018
Adept II

hi

I was hitting temps between 80 - 90c. I know for a fact that this is way too high. the cooling heatsink on the gpu card is clean, I also have plenty of case cooling too, 4 120 mm case fans and 2 x 80 side winders or side blowers running , so I know my case is well ventilated

0 Likes

and the program I used was OCCT

0 Likes
dj2018
Adept II

hi.

just an update..

I decided yesterday after a hard call that I would upgrade my gpu. I don't know if I have done good comparing to my old card, but decided to opt out and buy a Radeon RX 560 series?

have I done right and made the best choice from my old video card I was using?

I will await to hear from you

many thanks

0 Likes

Anytime you upgrade to a modern supported hardware is a good choice. As long as you have the hardware to support and run it.

Make sure you have at least a 400 watt PSU installed on your computer as per this website: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX

By the way,

Keep all the RX 560 box and stuffing in case you have problems installing it in your computer and you need to return it.

Keep us posted on how the new GPU card is doing. Make sure you use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe mode with the internet disconnected when you remove the old AMD GPU driver and install the new AMD driver.

Also RX 560 supports only Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64 versions. You can download the latest AMD Driver from here: Radeon™ RX 560 Drivers & Support | AMD

You can use this basic procedure to install the new AMD Driver:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

0 Likes
dj2018
Adept II

hi

thanks for the feedback. yes I uninstalled the old amd drivers in safe mode, my motherboard is also an MSI and supports it fine, my psu is a ocz mod xtreme 700w psu so I have plenty of confidence in that.

one more thing?

if I was to buy another video card as exactly the same I have now... it mentions something about bridgeless crossfire? Does that even work and of course I 'm sure I would notice even a better fps... ok i'm getting real good fps with this one but would it be noticeable with another card exactly the same in x-fire?

0 Likes

I believe the newer AMD GPU Cards and motherboards don't require to have a physical bridge connected between GPU cards to run Crossfire anymore. Everything is done through the Motherboard's PCIe lane. The much older AMD GPU cards do require a physical bridge to activate Crossfire.

Plus your motherboard needs at least TWO PCIe x 16 lanes running at x8 speeds or equivalent to that speed.

But for now I wouldn't concern myself with buying a second GPU card to use in Crossfire. First make sure the first GPU card is up and running without any issues for at least a few months. Then if you want to buy the same GPU card to crossfire it is your decision.

I would first research AMD website about Crossfire and Multi-GPU setups and also many games may not support Crossfire.

Good luck. Happy to hear you decided to go modern. Hopefully it didn't cost you to much.