cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

paponesrpg
Adept I

18.12.2 instaled --18.12.2 new version--18.12.3 opcional all the time,???????

New software notifications all time on windows

18.12.2 instaled --18.12.2 new version--18.12.3 opcional all the time

18.12.3 instaled---18.12.3 new version---18.12.2 optional all time

Where is the problem ?raedon software.jpg

Screensoft here:

28 Replies
rescuedogs1
Journeyman III

My partner and I are having the same issue on our 3 computers, Have already uninstalled and used the autodetect and install on the AMD website to try and rectify the problem. Have been going round in circles, install in order of updates, yet it keeps reverting to same current and new recommended. This has happened too many times to count. Thinking of searching for different software. 

Have google searched how to fix the issue, Lots of results, yet no information on how to over come the problem. I did notice allot of other people are having the same problem.

My best guess by this is that AMD may not have conducted enough testing on this update to prevent the issues by the end user.

Unfortunately I can't upload a screenshot to show the ongoing issue of this release. (only 1.6 MB)
current installed         18.9.3  
new recommended    18.9.3
New Optional             18.12.3
higgih01
Adept III

I have exactly the same problem. With 18.12.2 installed, Radeon Settings Advisor recommends installing the 'new' update,18.12.2 i.e. what is currently installed.  pastedImage_1.png

With 18.12.2 installed, I checked for updates, Radeon Settings suggested 18.12.3. When I installed 18.12.3, Radeon Settings flagged a driver update - back to 18.12.2! I trust it is an easy fix to stop a version of Radeon Setting referencing itself as an 'update'. I trust it is also easy to stop the latest version referencing an earlier version as a recommended 'update'. This level of 'noise' can be confusing for some and just plain annoying for others, and provides completely unnecessary ammunition to those that like to criticise RADEON drivers.

oldar
Adept II

Yeah I had the same problem as well. And not only that, when I firstly installed Drivers 18.12.3 I witnessed 2 "strange things":

1. Even with 18.12.3 drivers installed, I always get the notification that new drivers are available and I see the 18.12.2 as the ones to install (???).

2. When I tried to shut down, although the windows (Windows 10 64 Bit Pro) closed as they should, my mobo's led, fans, hdds/ssds., were ALL ON! I had to press the power on button for 3 secs in order to shut down my pc entirely. I entered in Windows again to check for what is going on and the same thing occurred twice. I then installed 18.12.2 again (clean install) and it fixed my problems with the shutting down...

1.png2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.png5.png6.jpg7.png8.png9.png

0 Likes

Thank you for your time to send me all this info! I appreciate your effort, but even if your solution will work for me, the "non shut down" thing, is a big pain in... my mind. I cannot close my PC pressing the power button 3-4 secs every time I need to close it. Its unacceptable for me. I will wait for the next update and maybe I will try that one when it will be out.

Thanks again for your help and your answer though!

amd.jpgI continue with this version 18.12.2, the other version is more annoying with so much notification, it's crazy.

0 Likes

Hi,
More info here ...

Why is AMD Adrenalin 2019 18.12.3 incremental update notifying and advising to upgrade to 18.12.2?
You should report the issue to AMD using AMD Reporting form in preferences.
it is causing lots of confusion as it is a ridiculous "upgrade loop" notification / advice.

Bye.

0 Likes
mmradeon
Journeyman III

I have this issue since was released this update.
Personally, I will never... never.. buy again RADEON. Can have gold on it, platinum, diamonds.. To install something and to still ask me while I stream, while I do videos, to have issues also with my windows because of the GPU. Better get rid of it and never buy it. If it takes a lot of time to repair it and it's still broken.. it's broken for ever.

I have reported this issue through the reporting wizard and their website, too many times to count. Still I have heard nothing from AMD. This is the 5th device with AMD factory installed hardware and software that I have had with problem after problem with. I even turned to my computer manufacturer (ACER) for assistance as we are not getting any from AMD. I too have decided to ensure that any future computer does NOT  have any AMD hardware or software factory installed. Way too many issues.

0 Likes
higgih01
Adept III

Oh dear. It is now doing it in 19.1.1!

pastedImage_0.png

The release notes for 19.1.1 indicted that the issue of 'Radeon Settings Advisor may incorrectly suggest older versions of Radeon Software as an update.' was now fixed.

A little more work required for the Radeon Settings development and QA teams me thinks!

0 Likes

Guess it just points to the latest WHQL release, that's why it also offers 18.12.2.

since 19.1.1 is a beta , though being a very good one i should add, better than the 18.12.2 for my Vega 64 Liq on Ivy bridge.

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

19.1.1 also shows me that i can update to 19.1.1.

"If 19.1.1 looks into a mirror - does it recognize itself?!"

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

What happens is the first release 19.1.1 as beta then as WHQL that's why it will notifiy, but yes it is also a crazy bug.

Even with 19.1.2 I still get as an update 19.1.1.

They didn't fix it as it seems...

But the most annoying bug is the Wattman Crash... I think I am gonna stick with the 16.11.5 for a while...

It is just bug after bug... if not by AMD it is by Microsoft... Windows install wrong drivers (we ca not find that version on AMD site), users uninstall them and disable windows from installing new drivers by itself. Users install  correct driver, downloaded from AMD site... cool it works... windows upgrade itself to newer build and showing same driver version but with new driver install date... We upgrade driver via Radeon Software to newer recommended version just to find out that Radeon Software could not be installed correctly... then go to C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install and install ccc2_install.exe to fix Radeon Software... This is unacceptable. My new/next build will be Nvidia/Linux... Most likely...  and to think i bought AMD GPU to support them in their open software... and they can not give us GUI in Linux after 3 years... bye... we are not ships or idiots...

0 Likes

dude ITS A MICROSOFT PROBLEM!

MS USES THE WRONG DRIVER!
YOU FORGET TO DISABLE DRIVER INSTALL! + Win10 Auto-Driver is bugged
WIN10 NOW TRIES TO INSTALL wu-ccc2 (WU = WINDOWS UPDATE) - THIS IS AN OLD DRIVER!

simply do the steps i posted!

and have in mind that this error is NOT from AMDs side BUT purely Microsoft to blame!

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

"and they can not give us GUI in Linux after 3 years... bye... we are not ships or idiots..."

if you want Linux you dont want gui

0 Likes

RE: if you want Linux you dont want gui
Yes you do, especially if you want to get off Microsoft Windows 10.

0 Likes

well amd has a gui for the installer for ubuntu - that is all you need

yet i have to say i havent installed catalyst in years - yet i remember some kind of gui for settings

0 Likes

Hi

There has been no GUI to control your GPU in Ubuntu since Ubuntu 15.10.
There used to be a Catalyst GUI, but that is no longer available since Ubuntu 16.04.
AMD dropped the catalyst drivers for Linux. No gui since then.

Now there is AMDGPU/AMDGPUPRO driver situation, still no GUI from AMD. 
So if you want to change you fan speed for your GPU it's hack into Ubuntu install directory and edit settings in files.
Users new to Ubuntu will not want to do that. If they are used to having AMD Settings to change and monitor GPU they will be unhappy.

You can go to AMD website, look for and install the  the AMDGPUPRO drivers and ROCm and use a utility called rocm-smi which recently added the ability for some GUI monitoring and control from the command line. But installing the professional drivers and ROCm is not easy, it frequently has issues, and not recommended for most Ubuntu users who just want to move from Windows 10 to Linux. The AMDGPUPRO drivers are not recommended for Gaming on Ubuntu for example.

There is a developer working on radeon-profile GUI which can be used as a temporary solution but that still has some problems / features that do not work and it is only a temporary solution. I have been testing that GUI out and giving some feedback on Github on that one. I do not know why AMD do not help that effort out.

For a Windows 10 user migrating to Ubuntu, possibly their first time moving to Linux, the AMD user experience is not good w.r.t. GUI for GPU.

If the user has an Nvidia GPU, the installation of Nvidia Proprietary Drivers requires selecting a button in a menu in Ubuntu, the drivers are automatically installed.
Nvidia provide a decent GUI and it is a similar user experience and feature set to the Nvidia Control Panel GUI.

Sure Linux and Proprietary Driver Code - should be avoided if possible and we should all be running truly free driver software. 
But some compromises along the way may be needed.  

Encouraging more people to move from Windows 10 and moving to Ubuntu or another Linux Distro like Fedora or Centos or other good distro is important for many reasons.

To do that, the user experience needs to be made as easy as possible.

Note that Gaming on Linux recently had a massive boost due to Steam Play for Linux.
I am involved in testing that and I can tell you the results are overall very impresive so far.

Bye.

0 Likes

For anyone interested in more detail in the above response:

RE: There is a developer working on radeon-profile GUI which can be used as a temporary solution but that still has some problems / features that do not work and it is only a temporary solution. I have been testing that GUI out and giving some feedback on Github on that one. I do not know why AMD do not help that effort out

Here is an example of the GUI running in August 2018. There have been improvements since then.
You will need to know how or at least be familiar with C/C++ coding and use of makefiles and be prepared to do some debugging and minor modifications to get it running if you want to try the version in the video:
Temporary GUI Control and Monitoring solution on AMDGPU and AMDGPUPRO Ubuntu 16.04. - YouTube 

Here is the Github Page for the developer: GitHub - marazmista/radeon-profile: Application to read current clocks of ATi Radeon cards (xf86-vid... 

0 Likes

For anyone interested in Steam Play Beta on Linux:
https://community.amd.com/message/2877513?commentID=2877513#comment-2877513 

0 Likes

If you are interested in moving away from Windows and over to Linux then please see my previous posts about GUI for AMD cards on Linux and Steam Play Beta.

Right now, I have to say that Nvidia GPU user has a much smoother experience moving from Windows to Linux.
Ubuntu Linux is particularly easy.

In my experience, AMD GPU user on Linux may have a difficult time.
You will likely spend time debugging driver install issues and compiling your own GUI if you want one.
On the positive side it is a 'learning experience'.

0 Likes

Please download and install Adrenalin 2019 19.2.1
Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.2.1 Release Notes | AMD 
As far as I can see, all issues w.r.t :
Notifications frequency.
Radeon Advisor recommeded update loop.
Notification advising running older versions of AMD Settings.
Are now fixed.
If once you test it out you are happy then please mark this answer as correct.
Thanks.

benman2785
Big Boss

as far as i know AMD made catalyst opensource - so the old driver should help in creating a better opensource driver

yet i have to say i use linux not for gaming (yet)

but ubuntu is very easy for starters and has a VERY large community that helps alot
i have an idea to get amd devs to a new opensource linux driver - but it will take time (and maybe never happen) - but i scheduled it this year to start

0 Likes

RE: Yet i have to say i use linux not for gaming (yet)

You might wasnt to try Steam for Linux. You may be surprised at how well some Windows titles run.
You can look at the links to videos in the post above.
You simplly set a few options in the Steam Settings.

I think Ubuntu is the best linux OS for people not familiar with linux and moving over from Windows for the first time.

correct - Ubuntu is a "easy-start-into-linux"-distro

i will install Ubuntu the following days - i have around 100 Games native to linux on steam  - time to test them 3;)