cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sauzer123
Adept I

Suddenly higher gpu use after installing W10, any suggestion?

Hello. I'm just wondering it this is normal or not. I have a RX 570 and until yesterday I was running W7 and with afterburner I noticed that the gpu/memory clock is always at 300mhz even while watching 1080 videos or anything on youtube. Basically, only during games the clock would go up and the card would start working. Today I installed W10 on SSD and I noticed a very different gpu usage... during 1080 videos (or youtube) the memory clock goes to 1000mhz e and even the gpu clock goes higher than 300. I tried several players (vlc or potplayer) and disabled chrome hardware accelerartion as well.

Now I'm wondering... is this behaviour normal? Did i mess with some settings on windows or calayst during install? Or is the behaviour different due to newest calalyst drivers (the ones i had on w7 were some months old)? I dont think it's normal that under w7 my card would be basically always in idle during normal computer usage (browsing, videos) and only be used under gaming, while now with w10 it seems to work a lot more with me doing the same things.

On task manager I also noticed that the processes that use the gpu are basically just desktop window manager and client server runtime process, but they're both under 1% even during videos.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Anyone with W10 and a similiar video card can tell me if it happens to you as well or just me?

Thank you in advance!

PS I just noticed that if i reinstall the drivers, the usage goes back to normal until i get a warning from w10 saying "Radeon settings has detected that one or more high dpi panels are connected to your system", then it goes back to higher usage... any idea what does this message mean and why its causing this? Thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies
sauzer123
Adept I

Anyone know how to avoid getting the message "Radeon settings has detected that one or more high dpi panels are connected to your system"?

0 Likes

Check this windows setting ?,

That 'Radeon settings...………………..' pops up occasionally(ignore it if your set up correctly), but I've not heard of it causing your issue before.

If you have multi monitor, then it may be a different issue.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

That setting is for IE tho, isnt it? The clock on my rx570 goes up even with chrome (with gpu acceleration disabled) or watching 1080s videos (while on w7 it was always at 300/300 unless while playing videogames).

I only have a normal 24 monitor connected to the video card. I mentioned "Radeon settings has detected that one or more high dpi panels are connected to your system" because, while trying to figure out why my rx570 has a different behaviour on w10 compared to w7, i uninstalled and installed the drivers few times, and i noticed that at first after a reboot the clock would stay at 300/300 even while watching videos, then after some time i would see that message pop up on my screen, and after that the clock would start going higher. I dont know if it was a coincidence, it happened twice tho, but i dont have the knowledge to understand why its happening. I never got that message on w7 tho, so im guessing it might have to do with the clock being higher on w10.

PS Even now, after a reboot, the clock stays at 300/300, it goes higher after some times. Its like theres something that triggers it but i have no clue what it could be.

0 Likes

I use edge & chrome, so habit.

My 390 (and previous cards) run at 300/150 on idle, don't know if 300/300 is normal on the 570.

First off for troubleshooting is reset & uninstall any 3rd party oc/fan control/monitoring apps.

Then disable/turn off any non windows app/program set to start with windows(check in task manager > startup), and nothing running minimized.

Turn off/ disable any browser add ons.

If still a problem then try 'Process explorer' and/or 'Autoruns', to see if you can find any unusual constant/heavy usage.

Disable windows notification from amd in apps (it will still show in radeon settings, not as annoying as popping in windows), I see the notif. when a display/vsr/res. change.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..