cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

replicators
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 480 No compatibility mode in new drivers

I have a Radeon RX 480 and running it stock has ruined my Asus Crosshair VI Formula motherboard with it taking too much power from the pci-e slot instead of the 6-pin cable, and this is what Compatibility mode was supposed to fix but that option is no longer available in newer driver's, and i been having driver issues with certain games from using a driver which does have compatibility mode. I would love to update my video driver's, but i need compatibility mode or my games crash to a grey screen.

0 Likes
1 Solution

The 'compatibility mode' option was removed in later(2016) drivers, as the newer drivers now control the pci power draw.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
waltc
Miniboss

So don't overclock your 480--the problem you describe happened with the very first 480's sold (long since discontinued) and *only* happened when the GPU was overclocked, IIRC.  There was no "compatibility mode" setting in the drivers, btw.  Sounds like you have a problem with your PSU, actually. 

0 Likes

Considering AMD's RX 480 Compatibility Mode - SemiAccurate

Not true, i have to use the 16.7.1 driver for the compatibility toggle, and i am running the card at stock. The problem was with these card's in particularly was prioritizing power from the pci-slot which was a big mistake as MANY people have had these problem's, just google Radeon RX 480 grey screen which is the problem related to this. I had to buy a new motherboard because this card ruined my asus crosshair V Formula motherboard, and AMD know's of this problem which is why they tried to fix it with the compatibility toggle, but i guess they dropped it because they feel nobody uses them anymore.

0 Likes

The 'compatibility mode' option was removed in later(2016) drivers, as the newer drivers now control the pci power draw.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

goodplay​ - My games crash on the newer drivers, i alway's kept my drivers up to date but still kept getting the grey screen, i am now using the 16.7.1 driver and not getting any crashes now, but it's a old driver so i am unable to play some games, or there are issues i get.

0 Likes

What OS/build vers., how long since you've done a clean or repair OS install.

Do you clean install drivers (using DDU or the radeon settings custom/clean uninstall).

Some self troubleshooting steps,

goodplay​ - Windows 7 and Windows 10 and happened on both, new and old installation's. Yes, i used the amd driver cleanup utility where you had to go in safe mode to clean out old driver files, i have tried many different driver's aswell. Messed with wattman setting's, nothing worked until i found out about the compatability toggle. When i bought a new motherboard everything seemed to run fine and i thought i was rid of the problem, but after awhile the grey screen started happening again and more and more frequently upon use. I should of seen it awhile ago, but noticed about the compatibility toggle which the new driver i had didn't have, so i cleaned up my drivers and installed it and ta da, no more crashes, but i do now have less performance. So i am completely stuck on 16.7.1 driver until i can get a new video card.

0 Likes
replicators
Journeyman III

I guess the only resolution i would have to this problem is buy a new video card. >8(

0 Likes