Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

1rjg
Journeyman III

Windows update clashing with video card - Help please

Hi All,

I'm pretty limited when it comes to everything computers but will try to be as accurate as possible.

A couple of months ago my PC did an automatic update of Windows 100 which gave me the blue screen of death.

I was unable to restart the PC to the point of getting into Windows, it would simply show the windows logo and then the screen would go black.

I was able to enter in safe mode and disable the video card which allows me to restart windows normally each time, however I have now lost sound to my computer (through HDMI) and have very basic graphics, a stretched screen with red ribbons running down the screen.

I've tried to install the latest AMD driver. I've even used the AMD automatic driver programme to identify the correct drivers but every time a driver is installed, the pc crashes and won't let me back into Windows unless using Safe Mode.

My Windows 10 64 bit is fully updated. I don't know what else to do.

My VGA card is a Gigabyte R9-270C-2GD.

Can anyone help me work through this or suggest another remedy?

0 Likes
11 Replies

Suspect that MS is overriding the driver install.

Try installing driver with internet device disconnected.

Download/save the full amd driver package.

Unplug router/ip device.

Start driver install, choose custom > clean install (if optional).

After install > restart you can then reconnect ip device/router.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I did what you said. Downloaded the latest AMD driver for my video card. Unplugged the router. Installed the driver.

As soon as I clicked on "custom install" the screen blacked out and I couldn't do anything except re enter windows in safe mode.

The same happened when i tried again clicking "express install".

Any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

0 Likes

SORRY: My mind was with something else, your issue maybe a corrupted system file or registry.

Disregard the solution below as it does not apply to you. It would be for failed GPU driver installs.

I can't tell if this is going to work for you, as your issue maybe a different one from mine.

Use the Windows key and r "win+r" to open the run window.

Type "regedit" without the quotes. (If you are not comfortable with editing the registry, please stop and see if there are other solutions)

Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions

Check if the DenyDeviceID's has value "0" Zero. In this case a 1 means the devices are restricted and may not be installed, whereas the 0 (ZERO) means there are no restrictions.

If not "Zero" edit / modify the value to 0 (Zero). I believe there are only binary values allowed e.g. 1 or 0!

After I did set this value to Zero, the driver install completed.

0 Likes

Hi Norbie,

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

I've gone into the registry and have followed the path that you provided.

Once I get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ there is no option to select DeviceInstall. There are 5 files that I can select to form drop down boxes but none of those drop down boxes say 'Restrictions'..

Is there an alternative way to go about this?

0 Likes

Hi 1rjg,

editing the registry as I described will not fix your issue.

However, have you tried the AMD "clean uninstall". Windows uninstall e.g. uninstalling the Video Card Driver will leave traces of the previous install and sometimes can corrupt or leave this part faulty in the registry.

If you haven't tried this, AMD Cleanup Utility | AMD  uninstall utility / software.

Run until it reports it is finished. I have observed this software to appear to do nothing "AMD does this, they keep you in the dark" the only thing that matters is the pop up that says it's finished.

The other software is (I believe, sorry "I am on my LINUX machine", Display Driver Uninstall or short DDU. Here Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.0.6

This utility seems to be more thorough in finding old traces.

The objective is to remove (using either uninstaller) all traces of a previous install, reboot (which should install the Windows vanilla driver) and if this was the cause, boot into regular Windows.

If it boots automatically back in "Safe Mode" it is probably set permanently to boot safe. In this case you should run "msconfig" this is a graphical UI where you can select boot option and uncheck the Safe Boot / also check if full? boot is check.

Try this for a start, sometimes this can be frustrating, since a problem can have several causes. According to "Murphy's Law" it will be the last suggested fix.

From what I read in your replies, there is probably a conflict with the residing Video driver, some of it is old and the new install is making calls to it and runs into the darkness.

Whenever Windows or other parts of the operating system can't resolve (absolutely no error checking on it) a real time issue, they shut down the OS (BSOD Black or Blue) to avoid corruption of files.

I know, my input may not fix the issue, but perhaps gives some insight.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

0 Likes

Hi Norbie,

Thanks again for your time in helping me to work through this.

I've uninstalled the drivers as suggested (haven't tried this before) and my graphics settings changed immediately. Everything continued to operate perfectly. I restarted the PC and it took me straight into Windows without any issues. At this point I was excited at the prospect of having my graphics / sound back!!

I went to the AMD site and used their automatic driver utility tool to identify the OS and all install the recommended drivers, clicked automatic install which all seemed to be going well until the black screen popped up again. Restarted the PC and was unable to enter without going into safe mode.

Long story short, I am back to where I was. I cannot understand why there is a continuous clash between the AMD and Windows Software?

I'm going to uninstall all of the drivers again and try to manually select the latest driver from AMD (instead of using the auto utility) to see how I go but i'm starting to lose hope.

0 Likes

I would look at this explanation here and follow the steps according to which version of Windows 10 you have. Disconnect from the internet while installing/uninstalling the AMD drivers. You do not need to be online to install the graphics driver... Make sure you have deleted all / previous drivers in the C:AMD folder...all of them.

Disable 'fast start'...then reboot your computer.

Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and reboot your computer to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

0 Likes

Hi there again, Happy New Year,

my guess at this point is. Sometimes there are other software or pieces thereof that modify system files that shoulden't be modified. When others make calls to this file, in the older day's they were called dll's (still exist, though) today they may have other naming conventions, but do essentially the same.

If a new application or driver wants to use the modified, "lets call em DLL" but doesn't find the hook, the calculated result that is returned to the driver may cause a non trapped error (today this is very rare). Sounds stupid but there are situations that can't be predicted and therefore roll out as non trapped error(s), hence the Black or Blue screen. Anything that fits the profile of not knowing what caused it, runs hopefully into a safety bucket...

In general, when something like this happens, it is very difficult to figure out "who / what causes it". Mostly some other part (modified) of the system is to blame for it. Perhaps a piece of software installed not too long ago that may interact with the GPU's driver?

If all fails you still can try the suggestion from "kingfish" although, I tried this solution without success. It may produce the desired result in your case, though.

But this may require the system to run with all driver loaded e.g. none safe mode.

Key is, to start cleanly. Whatever you do, remove traces from a previous install, however, I have also seen OS's break after numerous tries, for whatever reason.

As my last piece of advice / question. If you don't absolutely need the latest AMD driver, let it run without. Some manufacturer getting so specific with their equipment, that it requires a specific software to run.

You know the saying: "Many ways lead to Rome" although there should be a standard that manufacturers should adhere to.

Good luck!

0 Likes

I have similar problem with my HD 7970. But instead of black screen i'm getting BSOD every time when trying to install latest drivers.

0 Likes
brt
Adept I

Try older driver, like 18.9.3.

I've had issues I've described in another topic, it may help.

probably time to backup and install windows fresh

0 Likes