Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

greatkronos
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon Setting Will Not Open

Hi Everyone, I was updating my AMD software and driver to the recent 18.12.3

so that I would be up to date. However after the update the AMD setting application

would not pop up after trying to launch it. I had first noticed it when was trying to adjust some setting,

after trying to launch the application it would start the small applet and in task manager it would show the

service running for a brief moment then immediately close right after; when going to click on the applet it would

disappear before i could have a chance to click on it. I could open it multiple times and multiple applets and services

would show but the moment I go to try and click on it or even hover my mouse over it the applet would disappear. I have tried to uninstall

and reinstall the software, soon after I did a "clean" install, still nothing. Ran DDU in safe mode and uninstalled all amd drivers and software,

did a "clean" install as well. Still nothing, I have tried to go back one version to 18.12.2 using the same methods but to no avail the AMD Setting application

would not launch.I eventually went through my local disk and navigated the AMD folder and found the actual amd setting application and

tried to launch it. it finally gave me an (several).ddl errors I went through downloaded and put them in the folder and in system (32) and (x84).

Tried it once more, i got an error code that essentially said do the same things i have done previously.

Hardware:

- i5 6500

- 16 gb ddr4 2400

- 2 rx 580 8gb (i just got the second card in hopes of doing crossfire, only to have this issue appear)

Software:

AMD Settings

AMD Radeon Adrenalin 18.12.3

1 Solution
0x6a7232
Adept I

Yeah, DDU is good for stuff like that (completely remove old display software from Intel, nVidia, AMD, or a combination of those, depending on which options you select).
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

View solution in original post

18 Replies
xx_fritz_xx
Journeyman III

Same issue as greatkronos on version 18.12.2

HW (Custom built):

MSI C236M Workstation motherboard

Intel Xeon E3-1275 v5 CPU

32GB DDR4-2400

(1) RX-480 8GB

I've installed and maintained every app and piece of hardware on this PC from day 1 and the only issues I have ever had have been this video card and its drivers.

0 Likes
josesimonet
Journeyman III

First of all, i'm not english so sorry if your eyes hurts due to my mistakes.

I had the same problem when i saw this topic and try what you wrote and the problem continued. Then i tried to fix it by my own.

1.- Install the 18.12.3 AMD Radeon Adrenalin Drivers and restart PC. Yes, AMD Settings do not open.

2.- Reboot in Safe Mode, uninstalled Intel GPU Drivers instead of AMD and disconnect Ethernet Cable from the MotherBoard and then restart.

3.- After that you will open AMD Settings with no problems.

4.- Reboot again (W10 Send me a notification that there were changes in GPU).

5.- Now you can connect again the Ethernet Cable.

Maybe Drivers conflicts between Intel graphics of the cpu and new AMD GPU??

Uninstalling Intel Graphics fix me too the issue that ReLive shortcuts don't work.

Hope it helps you.

EDIT:
Hardware PC Budget:Pentium Gold G4560

2x4GB ddr4 2400

Msi RX 470 Armor

100% worked ran DDU to uninstall AMD and Intel Drivers in safe mode - Ethernet cable unplugged/ restart and only install latest AMD drivers ver 17.9.1 now I can open radeon settings and use Relive again after 7 months of trying every thing. Thank you so much <3

0 Likes

ty so much it work for me

0 Likes
megamouse
Journeyman III

I have the same issue on both 18.12.2 and 18.12.3.
I tried clean installs and ddu as well, but the settings just won't work.

RX480
i7 7700K
32GB DDR4-2400
Windows 10

0 Likes
greatkronos
Journeyman III

So I ended up doing an entire clean uninstall of all AMD drivers and software. Doing several restarts and ensuring there was nothing left. Did a clean custom install of the latest software and then made sure the system still recognized the GPU in Device manager. That is a key point, make sure device manager recognizes the GPU and select the GPU, go to properties and it should have an option to rollback the drivers to the earlier version, mine being "22.19.162.4" on 4/24/2017 is the rollback drivers. You might be able to find that driver online or a more recent driver but at the moment I am now able to access AMD Settings and have no issues.

On every driver download page..scroll to bottom..."Previous drivers"

But everyone with this issue should report it to AMD..it's the only way it will get fixed > Online Service Request | AMD

Thanks for the link kingfish. 

I just wish we didn't have to be the Q&A department for AMD.

So you now have to use the drivers from April 2018 in order to access the settings now? Or am I misunderstanding? I have the same problem and I'll probably try to remove the intel graphics drivers like someone said before and see if that works.

0 Likes
tsopanhs
Journeyman III

I had the same problem with  driver 19.1.2 (25/1/2019) till i read that windows (or intel) installs automatically a driver when uninstalling AMD driver, that interferes with amd settings or something like that.

What worked for me is described below:

1. Download latest amd driver

2. Use cmd and run sfc /scannow (will take a while) to check for, and repair corrupted files

3. Unplug ethernet wire

4. Uninstall current AMD driver through windows uninstaller and manually delete AMD folder from C:

5. Uninstall AMD driver with DDU in safe mode and restart

6. Uninstall Intel GPU driver with DDU in safe mode and restart

7. Install latest amd driver as admin

8. Reconnect ethernet wire

0x6a7232
Adept I

Just had this problem again after trying the newest AMD update. However, found a solution: updating the Intel Graphics drivers to version 25.20.100.6519 (only other thing I updated was Intel Rapid Storage drivers to version 14.8.16.1063 but I doubt that was the issue).

Yes! I also have hybrid graphics and was having the same issue. Updating the Intel Graphics driver finally solved it. I'm now using version 20.19.15.5058 (latest recommended for me by Intel Driver Assistant) and Radeon Settings is working just fine. I previously had to use Radeon Software v.18.5.1 to make it work, now I can use v.19.1.1.

Thanks for the tip!

0 Likes

Laptop graphics update...How to 

Laptops have different requirements/procedures than desktop computers when updating graphics drivers. It all depends on the processors....either Intel or AMD. 

For laptops with Intel/AMD graphics:

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

0 Likes

0x6a7232 wrote:

Just had this problem again after trying the newest AMD update. However, found a solution: updating the Intel Graphics drivers to version 25.20.100.6519 (only other thing I updated was Intel Rapid Storage drivers to version 14.8.16.1063 but I doubt that was the issue).

I am also having same issue with it. I tried to find any solution on websites but nothing happened. Please help!

0 Likes
sydzzle
Journeyman III

i got the same problem, i installed the newest driver to 19.1.1 but when i try to open Radeon settings nothing happens, and the icons goes away in the taskbar. 

I tried the clean install but still crashing, i tried the 19.2.1, and the adrenalin 2019 version, but all wnt work. I cant open radeon settings anymore.

Im not tryin de DDU option cause this broke my SSD last time.  So i think reinstall windows 10 only works?      

0 Likes
kackland
Journeyman III

I solved this problem by going to device manager, view hidden devices and deleting the Intel graphics card that was hidden. I hope that helps someone.

maltman
Journeyman III

Kacklands advice helped me.

I went into device manager, viewed hidden devices, under display adapters I removed the Intel and Nvidia ones that were still there. I also removed left over Nvidia audio crap.

0 Likes
0x6a7232
Adept I

Yeah, DDU is good for stuff like that (completely remove old display software from Intel, nVidia, AMD, or a combination of those, depending on which options you select).
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html