Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kessler
Adept I

Still experiencing problems with latest AMD drivers

Hi guys,

Well last week I was given some good advice from Kingfish regarding a driver problem I was having and which appeared to be sorted.  My fix lasted all of one day and since then I have been trying all kinds of things to fix it.

Basically I upgraded my drivers from version 18.5.1 to the latest version of 18.12.2.  After that I couldn't get all of my displays to work at once.  I didn't know at the time that I also could not open the radeon settings and this appears to be crucial.  The reason being is that the AMD Crossfire option is being defaulted to on and I need it off - turning it off means all my displays work ok.

At the moment I have managed to install driver version 18.9.3 and I am able to enter the radeon settings and turn off the AMD crossfire. Each time I then try to upgrade to the latest driver version this is when I am unable to enter the radeon settings to turn off the crossfire option.  So obviously I think that there is something going wrong when installing the latest version.

I have been doing a DDU uninstall in safe mode each time before I then install the latest version.  I have to keep going back to version 18.9.3 as this allows me to enter the radeon settings to change the crossfire setting.

I have two powercolor RX580 8GB cards on a Asus Prime Z270 board and running Windows 10, in which I followed the link for turning off automatic driver updates using the reg edit.

Does anyone think that with the next driver update my radeon setting may come back or will it never go away?

Any advice appreciated.

Rory

0 Likes
4 Replies

Install a driver version that works (18.9.3?) ...set crossfire to off. Then install the 18.12.3 ( Radeon™ RX 580 Drivers & Support | AMD  ) without removing the previous driver. IE...install them on top of the existing drivers. This should retain your old settings.

Remember to empty the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers (delete everything in the folder) and be disconnected from the internet while doing all this. Reconnect to the internet only after you have installed the drivers and have rebooted the computer.

How to delay feature updates in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

0 Likes
kessler
Adept I

Ok Sir, I will be doing what you suggest and will post back results.

Rory

0 Likes

Unfortunately trying what you suggested didn't work.  So at the moment I am back on driver version 12.9.3.  What I will try when I can is taking out one of my gpu's and then installing the latest version to see if that will let my open up the radeon settings - can only try.

Cheers,

Rory

0 Likes