cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Blue Screen at Boot, 0xC000021A after clean DDU install of Adernalin 18.10.1 on Windows 18.03 64bit.

Just a warning to anyone installing Adrenalin 18.10.1 on Windows 10 64bit.

Make sure you do a System Image Backup and have a recovery usb either using "Windows 7 image backup"  (if it still works for your Windows 10 install) or use another backup solution before you install Adrenalin 18.10.1 Driver.

System information.
CPU = i7-4790K.

GPU = R9 Fury X Primary.

R9 Nano Secondary.

Asus Z97 Deluxe NFC + Wireless.

Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP.

OS Windows 10 64 bit 18.03.

My Windows 10 64bit 18.03 is on the "Business Branch" and it has quality and feature updates deferred as much as possible.

I had been running the previous Adrenalin Driver version (18.9.3) which was an incremental update from 18.9.2 and previously 18.9.1.

The incremental update process seemed to be working fine and I have had no major issues with the drivers generally for a while.

However when notified that a new update was available from 18.9.3 to 18.10.1, I tried it and the incremental update failed (AMD Settings).

So I ran Windows 10 system and disk checks, they passed, then I downloaded  latest version of DDU and Adrenalin 18.10.1 installer. I disconnected from internet. I ran DDU in safe mode to remove the old AMD driver. Then I rebooted into Windows 10 64bit to install the AMD 18.10.1 driver. The driver installation completed but I was asked to reboot the machine. I powered down the PC. I reconnected to the internet.

When I rebooted the machine it started to boot up, I saw the Windows 10 logo and the circles started rotating then I hit a Blue Screen Stop Warning.

The Warning just said inaccessible boot device and told me to contact support. The machine rebooted itself a few times and then ran System Restore.

I was unable to use Windows usb recovery disk, or Neosmart Windows 10 recovery disk to get me out of this one. 

Check of System Logs reports 0xC000021A

I am not asking for help to fix this on this forum.
I have run hardware checks on the machine and I can boot into other Windows 10 and 8.1 OS with older AMD driver fine on the same machine.

The hard drive from the OS with the Blue Screen passes disk checks o.k.

I am just reporting what happened, and advising others to make sure they have a System Image Backup and Recovery usd drive  before Installing Adrenalin 18.10.1  Driver.64bit.

I was unable to run a system restore from a previous backup using Windows USB recovery.

I had to do a fresh install of Windows 10 64 bit, reinstall all of my desktop programs anbd manually revover my files.

The problem might simply be a Windows 10 update related bug.
There seem to be an increasing amout of problems with Windows Updates over tha past year - especially in the past 3 months.

Bye.

0 Likes
6 Replies

No prob here with any driver update.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you are O.K.

I am seeing multiple BSOD's with Adrenalin 18.10.1 and 18.10.2 following DDU and fresh install, even on the freshly installed Windows 10 64bit 18.03.
The windows install passes disk checks, sfc /scannow, DISM checks.
Crashes happen with Crossfire off.
Crashes seem related to use of Radeon Overlay, and especially the use of Radeon Chill menu.

18.9.1 seems much more stable but it crashes also at times.
I have tested with PC running at stock clocks. No GPU OC.
So far I just get amd driver related error BSOD or Black screen + Audio Buzz and have to do a hard reset.

So far, Windows Recovers.
I have tried removving all GPU's apart from 1 primary GPU, I have swapped GPU's around.
I have decided to roll back to 18.9.1 and stay on that driver until next AMD Driver is released because I can't put up with instability I see with 18.10.1/2.
I was just quoting my experience and trying to warn others to make sure they run a backup based on what happened to me.

Regarding the BSOD and unrecoverable Boot, Microsoft put out a statement about that one. It might be related to patches they put out for Windows 18.10 update, they claim. That's the Windows 18.10 update that was later 'resheduled' because a few million people lost their data. In the statement about the BSOD they have a sense of comedy in my opinion, as they warn users should under no circumstances run Automatic Repair. Thats the Automatc Repair that ... runs automatically after a few BSODS and automatic restarts.

0 Likes

doing a reset from the auto repair menu is the only way ive found to get my ssd back working... what the hell are they doing?

0 Likes

I am not seeing this problem so far on Adrenalin 18.12.1 or 2 so far.

Either AMD fixed something in these newer drivers or maybe Microsoft Changed something in Windows 10 64 bit.
I am still running Windows 10 18.03 on business branch though.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Did you try doing a "clean uninstall" first via AMD's driver installer?  This seems to be the culprit according to this reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/9099s2/2200g_storemi_bsod_after_radeon_update/

0 Likes

what is the point of this post? 

0 Likes