cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pseudo555
Adept III

FPS metric in Adrenalin 2019: does it really work ?

Hi,

I upgrade my driver form catalyst 18.11 to the adrenalin 2019 edition.

I'm running on Win 10 x64 (1803) with intel 8700k, 16 Gb of ddr4 and a sapphire nitro+ rx580.

In Amd overlay, i check the FPS metric display, but it never shows up.

All the others works fine.

Is this a known issue ?

I also try in unity3d game or rpg mv game in full screen, this metric never shows up !

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

I normally run games in Full Screen Mode - so assume that for the following.

I have seen this issue. You need to do the following. As pokester  says, kill Radeon Settings - I would do that by going into Windows Task Manager and end process for Radeon Settings. Also close the game you want to run. Alternatively just log out and back in to Windows.

Then restart Radeon Settings.

Do not Alt R or Alt Z.
Do not do Ctrl Shift O.
Set up yor required Wattman  Global Settings and Global Wattman Settings first.
Then go to your game profile and reset the Game Profile so Global and Local profiles match.

Then Launch the Game.
Once the game has launched, then do Alt Z or Alt R.

Then go to the Performance Monitor tab in the Radeon Overlay and turn it on.
You should then see FPS in the Radeon Overlay if FPS monitoring is available with the game.

Even if I do the above I have found that some games I have looked at do not seem to support FPS Monitoring in the Overlay at all.
I was watching the AMD Stream today for example. They were running a game called "The Walking Dead".
I downloaded a demo - The Walking Dead :The Final Season Demo - to try it out. The FPS overlay will not work in that case.

Back to these points:

Do not Alt R or Alt Z.

Do not do Ctrl Shift O.

Reason I say that - in games like BF1 - If I launch the Radeon Overlay or the Radeon Performance Overlay on Windows Desktop before game launch there is no FPS shown. Fair enough.

Problem is if I then launch a game having activated those menus, then when the game launches - I cannot get FPS displayed even if I Ctrl Shift O in and out of the Radeon Performance Overlay. Also in that case if I do Alt R or Alt Z then the game closes to the taskbar icon and the Radeon Overlay is shown. I can navigate to Performance Monitoring in the Radeon Overlay and then turn off the the Radeon Performance Overlay in there. If I then close the Radeon Overlay by Alt R or Alt Z and then swap over to BF1 in full screen mode then a Ctrl Shift O or an Alt Z/R to get the Radeon Overlay will again minimize BF1 to the task bar and the overlay will not show FPS.

In short -

Launch the game first, then once the game is running try turning on the Radeon Overlay (Alt Z / Alt R)  and then enable the Radeon Performance Overlay in the menu.
or
Launch the game first, then once the game is running try turning on the Radeon Performance Overlay using Ctrl Shift O.

The Radeon Performance Overlay has improved significantly for the RX Vega 64 Liquid I am running, but there are still some 'quirks' - which I can live with for now.
If you cannot monitor the FPS in Adrenalin 2019 you can always go back to FRAPS/PlayClaw/OCAT or similar.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Sometimes you have to Kill Radeon Settings and restart Radeon Settings then it will work. If that doesn't do it, I suggest running DDU from safe mode, disconnect from the internet and re-install the driver again.

0 Likes

Hi,

I normally run games in Full Screen Mode - so assume that for the following.

I have seen this issue. You need to do the following. As pokester  says, kill Radeon Settings - I would do that by going into Windows Task Manager and end process for Radeon Settings. Also close the game you want to run. Alternatively just log out and back in to Windows.

Then restart Radeon Settings.

Do not Alt R or Alt Z.
Do not do Ctrl Shift O.
Set up yor required Wattman  Global Settings and Global Wattman Settings first.
Then go to your game profile and reset the Game Profile so Global and Local profiles match.

Then Launch the Game.
Once the game has launched, then do Alt Z or Alt R.

Then go to the Performance Monitor tab in the Radeon Overlay and turn it on.
You should then see FPS in the Radeon Overlay if FPS monitoring is available with the game.

Even if I do the above I have found that some games I have looked at do not seem to support FPS Monitoring in the Overlay at all.
I was watching the AMD Stream today for example. They were running a game called "The Walking Dead".
I downloaded a demo - The Walking Dead :The Final Season Demo - to try it out. The FPS overlay will not work in that case.

Back to these points:

Do not Alt R or Alt Z.

Do not do Ctrl Shift O.

Reason I say that - in games like BF1 - If I launch the Radeon Overlay or the Radeon Performance Overlay on Windows Desktop before game launch there is no FPS shown. Fair enough.

Problem is if I then launch a game having activated those menus, then when the game launches - I cannot get FPS displayed even if I Ctrl Shift O in and out of the Radeon Performance Overlay. Also in that case if I do Alt R or Alt Z then the game closes to the taskbar icon and the Radeon Overlay is shown. I can navigate to Performance Monitoring in the Radeon Overlay and then turn off the the Radeon Performance Overlay in there. If I then close the Radeon Overlay by Alt R or Alt Z and then swap over to BF1 in full screen mode then a Ctrl Shift O or an Alt Z/R to get the Radeon Overlay will again minimize BF1 to the task bar and the overlay will not show FPS.

In short -

Launch the game first, then once the game is running try turning on the Radeon Overlay (Alt Z / Alt R)  and then enable the Radeon Performance Overlay in the menu.
or
Launch the game first, then once the game is running try turning on the Radeon Performance Overlay using Ctrl Shift O.

The Radeon Performance Overlay has improved significantly for the RX Vega 64 Liquid I am running, but there are still some 'quirks' - which I can live with for now.
If you cannot monitor the FPS in Adrenalin 2019 you can always go back to FRAPS/PlayClaw/OCAT or similar.

Good Luck.

I noticed that now with 18.12.2 even after I exit a game the overlay is still on. I have to use the hotkeys to turn it off. It used to exit with the game closing.

0 Likes
pseudo555
Adept III

Thanks for your answer, i'll try that later today and keep you inform.

@Pokester: overlay can be displayed on window's desktop as well (and i think it's a good idea to replace widgets of vista / 7).

That being said, does the FPS counter can be displayed for windows desktop too ?

For unity3d game, which generally faked their fullscreen mode with borderless windows, does the FPS counter works here as well ?

Hi pseudo555

When I enable the Raeon Overlay on the windows desktop I have not seen FPS Counter displayed at all yet, no matter what I set. I can see all other GPU metrics though.

I will take a look at a Unity 3D Game later - any particular suggestions? I might already have one you are interested in - that way we could cross check.
Bye.

0 Likes

I don't get FPS on desktop either. Not sure why you would? I'm betting that is normal.

0 Likes

I agree - I would not expect to see FPS reported for the desktop. I wasn't complaining about that, just re-confirming what I said in earlier post above.

I'm trying with house party. I also try with diablo 2.

As colesdav says, the game must support FPS Monitoring in the Overlay. I guess those two don't.

For my pov, getting the FPS counter all the time might be easier to develop that a rules telling if it should be displayed or not.

This will also fix the fps counter not showing on non-real fullscreen app.

0 Likes