cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cplifj
Elite

18.12.2 network traffic

I notice this instantly , but why does this amd driver need to contact  ec2-52-20-199-251.compute-1.amazonaws.com   frikkin ALL the time ????

Amd user experience program has been opted out of so WHY ??

I ** …. hate this kind of crap AMD. You starting aswell with the spying for your own benefit ? Think this makes it easy for your product development ? ****

The use of profanity is against forum rules and regulations

16 Replies

Thanks for the heads up on this. I assumed it was like before you opt out of the user experience program and this is a non-issue. Even though it shouldn't be an issues there either, Thanks AMD. I will let you know if I observe this behavior on mine. I honestly paid no attention to it. Thanks for not being asleep at the wheel clifj.

0 Likes

Traffic seems as usual to me. Sorry.

0 Likes

It seems this happens when you enable "Show upgrade advisor". If you are going to use that feature, disable it after you have run it. There is no need for it after you have run it once.

Gotcha! I had it disabled already too. I don't share info. Not so much a privacy nut, but if I let every app I have phone home. I would have zero bandwidth left.

0 Likes

Installed 18.12.2 yesterday, see same behaviour with 'advisor' on. Turned off, all good(minimal/normal traffic).

On a side note, with it on I get the 'compat check' error notification, with it off, no notification.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I think it is some program similar to 'Raptr'...it correlates all the system info cpu/graphics card/game/game settings from everybody who uses it and makes recommendations (Optimize) based on that. Horrible idea with Raptr ...normally recommended higher settings than the card should use. I have no use for it.

I wish AMD would concentrate on making their features work as they are supposed to across all supported cards and operating systems. Seems ridiculous to me that they want to wast resources on optimizing game settings, when most intensive games these days have auto settings that do that just fine. Those understanding the settings have little issue, calibrating to their own tastes. AMD needs to make rock solid stable drivers with features that work as advertised.

I am not seeing this. Where and how did you determine amazonaws.com  is being contacted?

Open windows 'Resource Monitor > Network'

Then start Radeon settings > Gaming (it will then show, you may also find Akamai), seems to activate on 'gaming' only and stops(delayed wind down) when you switch back to 'Home' or other setting (that's how it behaves for me anyway).

I'm still on 18.12.1, so it may have been there for a while.

You'll also see that Edge/Chrome uses both the Amazon/Akamai cloud.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

All I get is "radeon settings" showing up when I did the above.

However, I delete two files on every graphics driver install..the dvr.exe thing and the desktop overlay exe. (dom.exe?)

Firefox is my default browser.

I never installed 'AMD customer experience'

I don't have cust, exp. either, here's some pics anyway

Different address to OP (regional ?).

0 Likes

Sounds more like adware or malware on your computer. AMD driver shouldn't be contacting a NON-AMD Company like Amazon Cloud Services.

Download Malwarebytes and run it and see if it catches any adware or malware on your computer. Also run a Anti-Virus full scan and see if it shows anything.

This is the website it is calling: Amazon Web Services (AWS) - Cloud Computing Services .

NOTE: Unless AMD uses Amazon Cloud Services to upload it telemetry.

0 Likes

I commonly see software contacting Amazon legitimately as you suspected, tons of companies use Amazons cloud backbone.

AMD should have used their own Server rather than Amazon or Cr$%

0 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. Since AMD Telemetry has to do with a customer's computer setup and possibly some personal information being transmitted, you would think AMD will use their own Servers for that type of info.

Never know if Amazon may be using the information in secret to further their own products to the customer.

Granted, I am sure Amazon Cloud Services is very secure otherwise AMD wouldn't be using it.

0 Likes

You are buying rack space from Amazon. The AMD folks would still be managing their own software on those devices. They just don't manage the hardware or have to replicate the data for backups. Your stuff is secure, or as secure as anything can be. Seems nothing is really secure. To that it probably saves them some liability paying someone else for that if there is a breach.