cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dftm1
Adept II

Unable to update driver Sapphire RX 470 8Gb NITRO +

On Windows 7 there are no problems with the driver.

On a freshly installed Windows 10, the driver installed by the system works without any problems (17.7)

If you try to install a new driver (any newer), then after a restart, during the OS startup there is a BSOD - Thread stuck In Device Driver

If you remove driver 17.7 and then install a newer one, the BSOD occurs during driver installation.

ASUS P8Z77-VL LX2 (latest bios version) | i5-3570K | Sapphire RX 470 8Gb NITRO + | 8Gb RAM | Power supply 600 watts.

0 Likes
28 Replies

Run the Latest DDU from wagnardsoft_com, just out yesterday. Disconnect from the internet. Then install the new driver, with custom settings, clean install. That should do it. If not you will want to let AMD know by opening a support ticket. You can find the link in preferences in Radeon Settings.

0 Likes

such simple things as DDU and clean installation have long been tried and do not help

0 Likes

For you I guess you speak? I hope. DDU works for tons of people. AMD employees even recommend it. Most helpers here recommend it. Everyday user report back it fixed their issues. Very sorry it never helps for you. Whenever you don't have a solution, I try just about anything. If it doesn't work no harm, no foul. That doesn't mean it won't work in another scenario however. I too have had situations where DDU did not help. Ran into this just last night, before I new the new version was out. Downloaded new version, it worked.

0 Likes
dftm1
Adept II

bsod.png

0 Likes

Both Dump files show the same information according to Blue Screen Viewer:

121418-30171-01.dmp 12/14/2018 8:14:34 AM

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

0x100000ea

ffffd20d`baf1c080

atikmdag.sys

atikmdag.sys + fb7ab

x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1b1b40

Drivers affected are DXGKRNL.SYS and ATIKMDAG.SYS

From all that I have read about your error, they all state it could be a bad GPU Card or most likely a GPU Driver. Here one that gives a couple of tips on resolving the error: Fix THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER dxgkrnl.sys BSOD - Windows Bulletin Tutorials

This give some good advice, just don't download their recommended software : https://appuals.com/fix-thread-stuck-device-driver-bsod-windows-8-10/

EDIT: LoL, just reread you last comment. You did use Blue Screen Viewer. So disregard the first part of my comment.

Also if you are using Trixx or MSI Afterburner, uninstall it and then try to configure your RX 470 using AMD Wattman. Several Users needed to configure the RX GPU cards to be stable and not crash.

Someone can show you the problem way to configure the RX GPU card to be the most stable.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, the methods described by the links do not solve the problem.

0 Likes

Try to configure the RX 470 using AMD Wattman.  Other Users have had success using Wattman to stablize their RX GPU cards.

Someone else will need to advice you on how to configure the RX for best stability.

It is advice to uninstall any 3rd party software like MSI Afterburner or Trixx, since this at time has conflicts with AMD Wattman.

0 Likes

the system is freshly installed (the problem is not mine - I help another person, if you see many programs on the screenshot this is my system) the system does not use overclocking programs, etc. , the video card is stable and works without problems on Windows 7 - it is not physically damaged

increase the voltage in wattman already tried - does not help

0 Likes

pokester​ or kingfish​ can show you what I am talking about. It concerns the Power scale on Wattman and I believe a couple of other settings.

0 Likes

The problem is that the system crashes immediately after trying to install the driver i. it does not work for a second with the new driver (clean install) or crashes during the OS boot (installation over the old driver)

I can change the firmware of the card and change many parameters, but this will require additional actions when installing the driver every time.

0 Likes

I already told him what he needs to do. If he did and it didn't work. I don't have other advice. If not I hope he forgets prior experience and trys it. He has to disconnect for the internet and use the DDU that came out yesterday.

well I will try to persuade the person to do it again, with the new version. He has already done this many times - I will not know how he has not thrown the computer out the window =P

Tell them they have to disconnect the internet too, as Windows update screws up the install at time (a lot lately) if you don't.

0 Likes

done (as you might say, on all counts), but it does not help - BSOD during driver installation

0 Likes

Many times when you are getting actual blue screens you may have an IRQ conflict or even corrupt system files. I at this point would make sure the Motherboard bios is current. I would reset it to defaults at this point, and reset the settings as you have them. Then a little trick that may make Windows realocate IRQs. In the bios disable ports like serial and parallel. This will open IRQs not being used and sometimes fix IRQ issues. Don't know that is your issue but easy and non-problematic to try. To force Windows to search for this open interupt and reallocate, from device manager remove the video card from the listing. When you restart or rescan for changes it will pick it up again.

Then if that doesn't help, I would try checking the System Files for issues. Run sfc.exe /scannow from an administrator command prompt. This will scan and replace any bad system files. Make sure internet is enabled when doing this.

You can try and run either of those first or second, doesn't matter.

You might if you have not read your system logs for clues to the issue if you have not. Also you can download an app for reading blue screen error logs, that might help too.

From there if none of that helps I would try that card in another machine and see if it work there. If it does then contact AMD support: Online Service Request | AMD   Hopefully they can help. Feel free to start with them. Someone else may come along with better help too.

Good Luck.

the man no longer answered me, I wrote him some further steps and am waiting for an answer. Although the sfc.exe /scannow was completed earlier and no problems were detected

0 Likes

It was possible to update the driver to 17.12.1 (without tricks with disconnecting non-critical devices)

0 Likes

Tricks, no just gives the setup routines less to setup and gives IRQ resources to your most critical hardware before sharing with other devices. Glad you got it loaded.

0 Likes

Unfortunately this did not help, new drivers lead to BSOD

I wrote in the Online Service Request and dropped the link to this thread, waiting for a response.

0 Likes

Can you try the RX GPU Card on another computer and see if it does the same thing? - This may indicate a bad GPU Card if the same exact thing occurs on another computer.

Uninstall all AMD Drivers using DDU but don't install any other driver and see what Windows installs, if any, GPU driver for your GPU Card. - This will show if the Windows GPU AMD driver will work.

If it installs a GPU AMD Driver and your computer doesn't BSOD, See what AMD Driver version is installed in Device Manager. - this will show, at least, what version of AMD Driver is working with your GPU Card.

It is possible some added program in the latest AMD Driver may be in conflict with something you have installed on the computer.

You can always start the latest AMD Driver install and then cancel the installation after uninstalling with DDU again. Then go to Device Manager and manually direct it to C:\AMD folder and have it just update the GPU card driver without all the other features. See if you still get the BSODs. - This will just install the latest GPU AMD Driver and minimal software it needs to run. If no BSODs and the GPU card is working correctly, It probably indicates some extra feature of the AMD Driver package that is installed is causing the problem. IF you still get BSOD, then it is possible the card may be defective or you have some program running that is in conflict with the GPU Driver.

Before installing the AMD Driver, run this Microsoft Uninstall/Installation Troubleshooter. I attached it to this post for your to download and run. See what is comes up with, if anything.

Probably checking the card on another computer will be problematic. Ideally, you should check on the exact same system, which is even more problematic.

Windows installs driver 17.7

the system is freshly installed, there are no new programs

If you install the driver manually from the device manager, the system says that a more suitable driver is already installed. (Windows is not English, I translate to you, maybe not too accurately)

0 Likes

ususally when not directly driver related blue screens mean hardware conflict. This can be the things I stated above to try first like scanning the file system, I would actually scan for disk errors while you are at it. Beyond those things it's hard to narrow down. Looking at the logs can be very helpful to know what area blue screened. Bad, cards, drives, cpus, memory, power supplies and others can cause issues resulting in blue screens. My previous advice was the same as elstaci's. Try the card in another machine. It saves you from having to try all this on yours. If it doesn't work on another machine you know it's the card. I understand if you don't have another computer available. Many people have family, friends, neighbor or co-workers that will let you do a bit of testing on your stuff. Any way you go, I realize it is a pain in the behind.

I'm afraid that this is some kind of hardware-software conflict, where all the systems work, but something prevents them from working together on Windows 10. after all, there are no problems with Windows 7, only Windows 10

0 Likes

Yes, this update is installed

0 Likes

You know I hear people make comments all the time when upgrading from old os's to new ones, like for 7 to 10 that old hardware that comes along with it causes many conflicts. This doesn't mean you wont be able to use it. What I do is only have the minimum plugged into my machine when I do the upgrade. Unplug extra drives, especially external ones and all USB devices other than mouse and keyboard. Then try to load the driver again. Just a couple weeks back I remember someone saying they unplugged their external USB 3 driver and their driver issues disappeared. Just some extra thoughts. Hope one of them helps.

dftm1
Adept II

made an attempt to update the drivers for the chipset (there were drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's motherboard manufacturer's website) with the help of automatic search for drivers in the device manager. some of them have been updated, but this did not solve the BSOD problem

0 Likes
dftm1
Adept II

I also very much hope that AMD will help solve this problem by any means. I recommended this card for purchase, but it doesn’t work properly. This is not the first time. This time I don’t know how to help solve this problem. This is very sad and probably I will not do such recommendations anymore.

0 Likes