Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

catsado
Journeyman III

Slow alt and tab with 18.12.2

Good day friends.

Ihave a Asus TOP R9 280X running under Windows 7 64bits. Yesterday I have updated to the latest drivers 18.12.2 and I've got the following problem. I play heroes of the storm and when I alt and tab it takes around 4 secs for the thing to happen in these 4 seconds the screen is pure black. I tried everything that came in mind and nothing helped. I have reverted to 18.11.2 drivers and everything is working fine, alt and tabbing is now instant. Do you have any idea what may be to source of the problem with the latest drivers? Maybe a new option somewhere in the menus or maybe its a bug?

0 Likes
8 Replies
alex_wells
Journeyman III

Exactly the same thing. The funny thing is I'm using windowed fullscreen borderless mode in games, as I have two monitors, and it should not take any time whatsoever to switch between apps, but each time I switch, or even move my cursor to another screen I get a black screen for a couple of seconds. Totally unacceptable, rolled back to 18.11.2 and not willing to update unless this is fixed.

AMD, please, test updates better. Your program asked me to update, I did, got problems. Now I'm afraid to update as I won't know if the issue persists unless I install and test it myself.

No idea on that one. May be a bug or just how the driver works now. If someone else has this issue hopefully they can confirm for you. If you think you are letting AMD know about this, you aren't. These forums are USER TO USER ONLY. Make sure you file and issue report to let AMD know, they don't read it here. The link is in Radeon Settings / Preferences.

0 Likes
threepwoodpt
Journeyman III

Same thing happening with me.

ALT TABing out of all games takes 4 seconds as well in all games I tried out since installing 18.12.2 (Clean install). I double checked and the resolution/refresh rate is the same ingame as the one in the desktop.

Reverting to 18.11.2 fixed it, ALT TAB is instant again.

0 Likes
celebelly
Journeyman III

Not that it helps but I have the exact same thing happening to me with the exact same game ever since the update. It freezes, goes to black and tabs even though I play in windowed full.

0 Likes
zielho
Adept II

I have the same problem. Much slower when alt tabbing for sure with 18.12.2 (& vega 56).

BF1 and BFV makes my monitor go black & my monitor says no signal after some time (so can't use freesync).

0 Likes

Report driver issues to AMD

Online Service Request | AMD

or

0 Likes
zak707
Adept I

Just reporting I have that on R9-290 as well. Perhaps not 4 seconds, but alt-tabbing out of game show a blank screen on primary monitor for a time before going back to desktop. Prior to 18.12.2 alt-tab was instant on my machine with everything, but this driver, the same. I also reported in Radeon Settings.

Zak

HOT FIXS ARE COMING IN MONDAY TO ADDRESS THOSE ISSUE......