cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ldness
Journeyman III

have windows 1803 and can't roll back graphics driver

My client has a Radeon R5 340x on his W10-64bit system, and, a little while back, Windows Update installed the infamous 1803 version.  He began to notice screen glitches.  Device Manager lists the driver version as 23.20.806.256, but the Radeon upgrade tools describe the version as 17.7.  I cannot roll back the driver from Device Manager, as that button is grayed out.  I tried several newer versions of the Adrenalin driver, but all of these generated error 184 - Unsupported OS version.  What is the best way to proceed? 

0 Likes
11 Replies

1803 is fine, 1809 is the build which is causing issues. If the Clean Install option in the driver installer package fails to fix the issue, then use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all AMD software and install the newest driver package.

I have found 1809 to be MUCH MORE STABLE with my RX 580 than 1803 was. But you have to disable Fast Startup/Hibernation, the Windows 10 gaming features in settings and disable the telemetry.

0 Likes

With an SSD there is no reason to use Fast Startup anyway, 10 second startup, at least on a desktop. A laptop yea to save energy, but a desktop a clean startup is negligibly slower than a fast startup (3 seconds).

I think the real reason for disabling fast startup is the errors it can cause:

Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer

I got sick of it with the Windows updates not installing, so I killed it long ago. A few extra seconds of boot time, even on a hard drive, is not going to kill anyone.

I agree that is why I ALWAYS recommend turning it off. Even on spinning disks the few seconds it may save aren't worth the potential issues it brings IMHO.

0 Likes

With all the people who use sleep mode and hibernate on top of this fast startup, I'm surprised there haven't been more reports of issues where updates are downloaded but not installed, and new updates are downloaded which supersede one or more of those updates resulting in a BSOD. 

I agree, I get the idea behind caching the data. In 2019 most people are moved or will move to SSD of some variant for at least boot drives. There really IMHO is just no need for this dated idea on tech. Especially when the potential for disaster eclipses any positive.

0 Likes

Aye, but there's a lot of people running Windows 10 on a machine barely built for Windows XP or 7 because Microsoft forced it down their throats.

No I can't deny that fact, in fact almost every workstation at my workplace falls into that category. I however have fast startup disable on all them too!

0 Likes

Is this a laptop or does it have a APU?

0 Likes