cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

povilezas
Journeyman III

Performance Drop After Switching OS - HD7800 Series

Hello, okay guys so i just updated my windows from 7 to 10, everything was fine the first day, next day there were few updates happened and all of my games fps dropped massively CS:GO from 260+ to 40-60, League of legends from 140+ to 60-80. So i tried to disable all kind's of v sync's and etc, still didn't help, tried doing some stuff on regedit, watched all kinds of videos, tried to do a recovery of the first day but not deleting any files, but didn't help out.

I know it's an old system but it works for those games.

My system is:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Card name: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (Show's everywhere on dxdiag on cpu-z, on msinfo)

Motherboard: ASRock P67 Pro

Display drivers version: 18.12.1.1

Does anyone have a clue what might be the case? I tried to search for old drivers, but i can't find them on the main page.

Message was edited by: Matt B

Edit title

0 Likes
7 Replies

When you say update do you mean you did an upgrade installation to Windows 7? If so many find that to really get fully working meaning UN-hindered and optimized Win 10 installation that they need to just start fresh and do a clean install of Windows 10.

Once installed, and you could try these things before trying to re-install Windows 10 too, try the following things to help overall speed and system stability:

1. Disable Fast Startup / Hibernation

2. Set Power Profile to High Performance

3. In settings Gaming disable all game functions (DVR, anything on) this is MS Gaming stuff you likely never will use on PC and it runs no matter what you are doing.

4. Download a program called O&O ShutUp10 from oo-software_com. This disables the behind the scenes Telemetry ( communications happening you didn't authorize or realize is happening, that is wasting your CPU cycles) Just let it change the recommended settings. None of this existed in Windows 7 because they didn't spy on you back then, so you don't need it now. I recommend disabling it and potentially regaining 5-15% of your CPU'S  muscle to go back towards gaming. Plus the added benefit of keeping MS and any 3rd parties they let in on the information out of your business. On older CPU'S I have been amazed at how much more responsive overall the system is with this change alone.

5. Set any Anti-Virus software to it's game mode if it has one.

----------

CSGO optimizations, I am not going to claim this will restore your prior frame rates. I know to little about your hardware to come close. I can tell you what makes a difference for me.

First this latest patch that added battle royal (while controversial with the masses) has made the overall game play less laggy for me. I have read reports to the contrary but for me it stutters no more. I am also on the very latest AMD beta driver.

No I do use a gaming profile for CSGO, in which I disable vsync, leave all settings to application control. I set the textures to "performance" IMHO this makes a big difference on this game. I also use chill and set my range to be one FPS inside of my freesync range, if you have a freesync monitor. If not you might try enhanced sync and see how that works out. Not sure if chill is even an option for that GPU though so if not sorry.

Now on that older GPU many find that if the GPU doesn't have ample ram to cache the textures for CSGO that turning off the Shader Cache in the profile actually makes it faster. I have seen claims that turning it on makes it better. For me on my RX 580 leaving it on AMD optimized is best IMHO. So I strongly suggest trying it all three ways to figure out what is best for you. Oh I mentioned setting everything to application control. This include to make sure you change tessellation to app control.

You asked about links to previous drivers. You have to scroll down to near the bottom of the driver page. The link is in small blue text and reads previous drivers. They don't make it easy. Should be near top and big IMHO. Here is a link to a page, the drivers on this page should be fine for any Win 10 64bit 78xx card:

AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 Previous Drivers | AMD

I do doubt you really need the older drivers to get CSGO working well.

Good Luck, hope some of this helps.

Okay thank you all for your information and help. We did a clean windows 10 install deleting the old ones and yes i found out that my GPU is 7850 and its a desktop, my friend helped me out to update my motherboards drivers, some bios stuff but that didn't help. When i launch CSGO my it shows on the task manager that CPU, DISK, GPU is jumping to the 90%+ and over. But the strangest thing is that the first day we did the windows installation and all the needed drivers everything was fine and dandy. I was hitting like i said on CSGO about 200+ fps and on League 140+

The next day something went wrong, but can't figure out what might it be.

I think the best option will be to stick back to WIN7.

We tried to alter all kinds of settings on the games and on the GPU, but nothing worked...

I just hate how WIN10 makes old systems work poorely nowadays...

I'll try to check out your method if it wont work then gonna downgrade to WIN7 This weekend.

0 Likes

If you had much time left of Windows 7 being a supported OS I would agree go back to it. Windows 7 ends support Jan 14, 2020. So you would have just over a year left. Just pointing that out as reloading an OS for a short duration is kind of a pain. You might try spending a little more time figuring out your issue.

Plus when you say it makes the system behave poorly that is mostly do the telemetry if you do the following which I mentioned earlier. WIndows 10 is pretty snappy and actually uses less resources than Windows 7 did.

------

following things to help overall speed and system stability:

1. Disable Fast Startup / Hibernation

2. Set Power Profile to High Performance

3. In settings Gaming disable all game functions (DVR, anything on) this is MS Gaming stuff you likely never will use on PC and it runs no matter what you are doing.

4. Download a program called O&O ShutUp10 from oo-software_com. This disables the behind the scenes Telemetry ( communications happening you didn't authorize or realize is happening, that is wasting your CPU cycles) Just let it change the recommended settings. None of this existed in Windows 7 because they didn't spy on you back then, so you don't need it now. I recommend disabling it and potentially regaining 5-15% of your CPU'S  muscle to go back towards gaming. Plus the added benefit of keeping MS and any 3rd parties they let in on the information out of your business. On older CPU'S I have been amazed at how much more responsive overall the system is with this change alone.

5. Set any Anti-Virus software to it's game mode if it has one.

Is this a laptop or Desktop?

What is the make & model of both the Motherboard and AMD GPU card?  HD7800 is a series not a specific card.

If Laptop or Desktop, see if there are any updates to the BIOS and CHIPSETs.

When you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, did you update all the Motherboard or Laptop's Drivers for Windows 10 OS?

He said i5-3350P and that is a desktop processor. Series is not specific however they all use the same drivers for that series on desktop. You could however use different tweak settings based on how much ram the specific card has. Yes it is always good to spell out all the information one might need to give help.

-----

I had already answered with some very specific CSGO advice just waiting for Moderator approval. Unfortunately only Matt will ever approve my stuff so that won't be until early tomorrow morning.

Should have looked up the CPU to see if it is a desktop or laptop CPU . But sometimes Desktops use laptop CPUs.

What you mentioned about drivers for the same GPU card series being the same is generally true. But I have found out that sometimes drivers for different GPU models in the same series have different files sizes which indicates it is slightly different from each other.

But whether the computer is Desktop or Laptop, he still needs to post more information plus checking for updated BIOS and Chip sets which applies for both types of PC.

Also if he upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, he should install the Windows 10 drivers for his motherboard and hardware from the manufacturer's Support site, at least, at the beginning to make sure everything is working normally. Later on he can update individual drivers from other sources to see if they work better.

Yeah, one time I posted a message and still hadn't been approve after three days. Just deleted it. I imagine the Moderators gets swamped by large amounts of Posts that need approval.

No worries. I don't believe I negated anything you said, I eve said it is always good to give the information. However if if feel I have enough information to help, I am going to try to do that.

I would point out in what you just said to be cautious on the loading the drivers from the manufacturers site. This isn't always the best advice as in this case, he has a 3rd generation CPU and the motherboard, it is very possibly not supported  (not saying this one is or isn't) by the manufacturer with current drivers. In that case the drivers that come with Windows 10 are the best bet. But yes on hardware a manufacturer still supports the OS on, it is best to get the drivers from them.

Only Matt ever approves mine, and he does it seemingly without fail every day even weekends. I think the only time he didn't was when he was on vacation a few months back, but even then he logged in before he was due back and approved them. He is pretty awesome like that. I do wish someone in the daytime could approve them, as it is often a big waste of our time even answering.

0 Likes