cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pvcdroid
Adept II

Mouse lag with AMD Radeon 18.8.1 and past few driver releases

I wanted to create a new thread since the following fix for mouse lag that many are suffering from after new releases of Radeon:

This was posted by WICKEX in another thread. Turning off the HDCP Override switch in settings>display>specs>override resolves the aggravating stutter and lag many of us are experiencing over the past few months and since the 18.5.1 release. Kudos to this user for finding a solution. It affects RX480 and RX580 users.

I finally found a solution that fixed it for me!!

To start off, I have three displays. My main monitor is connected via HDMI, my second monitor via DVI, and my third via VGA -> DisplayPort. I have an RX 470.

I was on 18.5.1 first and updated to 18.8.1 to see if the issue was fixed, but it wasn't. I then started experimenting with my displays and discovered that when I would disconnect my second monitor that was connected via DVI, the issue was gone. When taking the HDMI-cable out of my main monitor and plugging it into the second monitor so it was connected again, but with a different connection type, the issue came back. In other words, it looks like the combination of the drivers and that specific display was causing the issue for me.

I then started experimenting. When disabling the monitor in my software with the cables still attached, the issue was also gone. Then, I discovered the steps that fixed the issue for me. I did the following:

- I opened my AMD Radeon Settings

- I went to the Display tab and went to the display that was causing the issues

- I pressed the 'Specs' button

- I went to the Override tab

- I disabled HDCP Support

I have no idea what it is, but after disabling it, my issue was resolved.

I hope this helps someone!

14 Replies
phonetech2
Adept I

That helped my mouse lag. I have 3 monitors also. Similar setup with different connection types. Windows 7 pro with Radeon RX560. I disabled HDCP on both of my newer 27 inch monitors and no more mouse lag. I also had the mouse lag on 18.7.1. No mouse lag on 18.6.1.

0 Likes
axellslade
Journeyman III

Thanks, was having this issue on a dual display setup using 18.8.1 too.

Had to disable HDCP on both my monitors in order for the mouse lag to go away.

1mike12
Journeyman III

This totally worked for me. rx570 18.10.1, 5 monitors. I was running 17.something before and never upgraded due to this dumb bug. Mouse trailing pointer worked for me but was annoying. I noticed that dragging a window around would prevent a stutter, it was only when I was moving my mouse around for no reason that it would happen. I also found out by playing with eyefinity, just by clicking quick setup, then discarding, it would make the problem go away.

It definitely has something to do with higher performance or something. That's what the mouse pointer, mangifying glass, and dragging windows all have in common. It's forcing something in the pipeline under a little more "pressure" and keeps the stuttering at bay.

Finally, I tried disabling HDCP on one of the monitors and it seems to have fixed it. I didn't have to disable all 5, just one.

EDIT

actually, I found out just doing it for 1 monitor was a fluke. I needed to do it for all monitors and restart.

0 Likes
rothnarge
Adept I

Yes thank you so much for this; works in 18.10.1.

This fixed my AVERMEDIA c027 capture card also; don't know why searches don't show this. Had no idea the AMD driver allowed this.

0 Likes
petershaw
Adept I

I have also 3 monitors and the mouse+keyboard stutter. I disabled:

- HDCP on all monitors

- removed all monitoring and benchmark tools, even amd itself i disabled all monitoring

- tried all up2date drivers from my Intel Board (yes its a 5 year old Ivy Bridge Board)

- all sound driver, special realtek. I have a 3rd party soundblaster ZxR, so no need for other sounddrivers.

But my problem still exists from time to time.

I now found out that the problem appears after my monitor come back from enery save mode. I send them after 10min AFK to sleep mode. When i keep going in windows with the mouse lag, my left monitor, connected with DP to DVI Adapter when from time to time snow grained for 1 second. Like a TV test picture on older tvs.

After a restart the problems appears instant, after another restart the problem is gone?

I am on the newest AMD driver with my brand new 580.

So, what now?

0 Likes

Did you restart every time you switched HDCP or did you select no after each one and then restarted after you changed them all? I was having similar issue when I started applying the fix. I found, I prolonged my restart after clicking no the first time didn't save the override. So go back into the panel and verify each monitor still has HDCP on because when I restarted after changing both, was still stuttering. went in and found that the first monitor I changed was still had it on while the other one was off. after changing the first one back to off I clicked to restart and pronto fixed.

0 Likes

I fixed it for me: I used now 3x DVI to Displayport Cables and its gone. Using again 1x HDMI, 1x DVI, 1xDvi to DP cables bring it back. Its not a complete problem because after one or two reboots the problem also disappears. But it can come back at certain benchmarks.

0 Likes
fabiovb
Journeyman III

Using RX470 and dual monitor (HDMI and DVI>HDMI) and having the same issue. Tried to disable HDCP on both monitors but no luck. I have a major lag when I unlock the Windows screen, when I open a few applications or when I try to open anything related to display settings. If I uninstall the AMD software and driver and use the RX470 driver provided by Windows Update it works flawlessly. As soon as I try to install the updated AMD driver, when the loading bar is around 50%, the mouse pointer starts to slow down again and everything lags for around 30 seconds. Checking CPU and RAM usage it's not even close to 10% and the same for the video card.

0 Likes
sleewok
Journeyman III

I've been having this issue as well on two separate computers. I submitted a bug and never saw anything come of it. I switched to Nvidia on my work computer because of this. I'm very disappointed in AMD. Disabling HDCP did not fix it for me.

0 Likes

I had to revert to the 18.9.3 driver, now it's working flawlessly again. Just bought another computer and this time I got a Nvidia card to avoid those AMD issues.

markwilliams
Adept II

I have experienced the same problem earlier. Try this, hope it works: go to Settings-> Devices -> Mouse & Touchpad.

Now locate the Scroll Inactive Windows option and disable / enable it.then Try disabling and enabling this option a few times and check if the issue is resolved.

If the same problem keeps reoccurring, you may need to try other methods below.

https://appuals.com/mouse-pointer-lags-or-freezes-in-windows-10/

https://dailytechposts.com/mouse-lagging-freezing-stuttering-fixed/

0 Likes
niedowidek
Journeyman III

Disabling HDCP Support worked great for me (RX 560, driver 18.12.1.1).

0 Likes

the way I found to solve this problem, is to NOT install AMD HDMI sound driver.

First off all uninstall all AMD graphics drivers to start with windows display drivers.

Then I installed AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.2 from this site : https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-16-4-2

beware to choose personalized install and leave empty the checkbox for AMD HDMI sound driver install.

Maybe the AMD HDMI sound driver conflicts with the native driver for my sound card and made those mouse nd keybord lags.

Maybe this trick works also with higher versions of AMD graphics drivers : I did'nt check. Now that this bug is away, i'll go on like this.

0 Likes
Pszenic
Journeyman III

I have the same issue but my radeon software looks a little bit different and I can't find option to turn of hdcp 

Gpu: radeon 8330 HD

Cpu: AMD A4-5000

Windows 7

Could someone help me with that? It started after i reinstalled windows and updated graphic driver.

0 Likes