cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amdcustomer123
Journeyman III

Where can I find Wattman for my Vega 56?

Hello,

I have a Vega 56 GPU and I can't find Wattman anywhere.  Could you please tell me where to find it?  This is what I'm seeing:

https://i.imgur.com/U21iaTx.png

https://i.imgur.com/U21iaTx.png

I have an AMD 2700 desktop CPU + Vega 56 in a laptop configuration.  I can't seem to find where to enable Wattman anywhere.

Thanks!

Acer Predator Helios 500

Model Name: PH517-61-R0GX

Part Number: NH.Q3GAA.001

CPU:  AMD 2700 (desktop cpu)

0 Likes
5 Replies

Wattman and Relive are not supported on laptops.

UPDATE:   I've figured out how to enable Wattman for Vega 56 mobile GPUs.  All solved, thanks!

To do so, you need to enable the "Extend overclock" properties for your GPU.  This includes for people who wish to downclock/reduce wattage of your GPU (like me).

Once you do so, POOF, Wattman appears!

------------------------

This isn't for a integrated GPU.   This is for a discrete GPU.  I'm stating this because there was a prior mistaken response to somebody else who was asking this question.  The person who responded stated that Wattman wasn't supported for integrated/APU graphics.

So what can be done to get Wattman working with my Radeon 56 discrete GPU?  Voltage settings are available in many other softwares (eg, MSI Afterburner).  So it would appear it is something hardcoded into Wattman?  Disabling this because it functionally isn't possible in an APU makes sense.  But for discrete GPUs?  This doesn't make sense.

Same thing for ReLive.  Why wouldn't this be enabled for Radeon Vega 56 systems that happen to be mobile?  This doesn't make sense.  A discrete GPU is a discrete GPU.  Provided it has the power/clocks, and we all know Radeon 56 has ample to spare and can be throttled to fit scenarios, it just doesn't make sense.

So how can we get these things to work on Vega 56 discrete GPU systems that just happen to be laptops?

0 Likes

Ask Acer, maybe they requested it be 'locked out' .

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I will take an educated guess at why, and it isn't really different than why the APUs don't support it. The simple truth is that features for laptops and their drivers are to be derived from the Laptop maker. Any driver AMD offers can't compensate for any special requirements the laptop maker did to their product including and not limited to cooling and power requirements. While you may want to underclock and/or lower voltage, other may want to do the opposite. This can literally prove to be catastrophic to an entire laptop system. AMD nor the laptop maker want to be responsible for you tinkering with something that just isn't designed for that kind of specification variation. As you found for those that want to throw caution to the wind, finding a work around to get what you wanted wasn't much of a challenge. For those maybe less educated, the default scheme maybe saves them from themselves.

0 Likes

For desktop computers

Radeon WattMan Requirements

Radeon WattMan is supported on AMD Radeon R7 260 Graphics Series products and higher. It is recommended to always use the latest compatible driver for your GPU when configuring Radeon Wattman on a Windows® based system.

Windows compatibility is dependent on the GPU. Please check the Product Resources Center for specifications and compatibility information.

Note!

1. Radeon WattMan is not supported on APU Graphics or the AMD Radeon™ R7 370 Graphics Series.
  2. For APU Graphics, AMD Radeon R7 370 Graphics and products older than Radeon™ R7 260, performance tuning is available via AMD Overdrive.
  3. The availability of specific Radeon WattMan features will depend on the GPU being used.