cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jcd1975
Adept I

Vega 64 Crossfire Issues

Recently I purchased two Asus - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB ROG STRIX during 2018 black Friday sales event. I felt it was worth the price and was led to believe that it would be an upgrade. I've never had any issues playing any of the games with my previous components playing in 4k @ 60hz getting 90-120 fps in games like World of Warcraft on high settings. I've upgraded a few items to compliment the new Vega cards and I'm only getting half the Fps in WoW 40-70 on high, and I'm forced to play at 50hz because 60hz setting will constantly turn my screen on and off every 10 secs. PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any and all help would be appreciated!

My original PC configuration was as follows:

i7-4790k CPU

MSI- Z97S SLI Kriat edition mobo

Two Samsung 850 SSD's

16 GB Vengeance DDR3-1600 ram

Geforce GTX 1080 8gb FTW gaming ACX GPU

750 Thermaltake 80+ bronze PSU

Fractical Define R4 case

Sceptre 50" 4k UHD TV/Monitor @ 60hz

My upgrades from above:

32 GB Vengeance DDR3-1600 ram

Two Vega 64 in crossfire

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 1000 W 80+ Gold

0 Likes
9 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello,

Do the two Vega cards work as expected individually?  On another note, if you are playing WoW in DX12 mode, I do not believe Blizzard has implemented MultiGPU support for the DX12 version of the game.  If you play in DX11 mode, you should be able to utilize the crossfire profile from AMD.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I tried using DX11 but it seemed to be a little worse than DX12. I did a new driver install but did not allow it to update to the latest one. It did help my in game performance quite a bit! I'm still having screen power issues @ 4k 60hz & forced to use 50hz. I just ordered a new 27 GBps HDMI cable to see if that helps any. My current 18 GBps HDMI cable is a few years old, and may be starting to fail. Ill find out either way this weekend!!

0 Likes

Sounds like you are on the right track.  It is worth pointing out, that without MultiGPU support, if you continue to play in DX12 only a single GPU will be utilized.

0 Likes

WoW's current patch wont play the 2nd card even in DX11. I am not getting anything from the 2nd card in either mode. Doing a google search I found that it seems to be an issue which Blizz will not support multiple Gpus, and apparently it was only by chance that it worked in the past lol.

0 Likes

not all that many games support dual cards, dx11 games might be more inclined but dx12 is more explicit

0 Likes

jcd1975 wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I tried using DX11 but it seemed to be a little worse than DX12. I did a new driver install but did not allow it to update to the latest one. It did help my in game performance quite a bit! I'm still having screen power issues @ 4k 60hz & forced to use 50hz. I just ordered a new 27 GBps HDMI cable to see if that helps any. My current 18 GBps HDMI cable is a few years old, and may be starting to fail. Ill find out either way this weekend!!

your cable does seem to be the cause, you need a lot of bandwidth for 4k60 displays

8k60 is even more insane

0 Likes

Well it's not the HDMI cable or the TV- New cable has the same issue (turning the screen off & on every 10 secs at 60hz). I put my GTX-1080 back in and its fine @ 60hz like it always has been. Has to be the cards. It's a good thing I bought both cards combined for $250+ less than a single GTX-1080 & 1080ti at the time.  /shrug

0 Likes

Hmmm,

You might try setting the refresh rate to 59.93Hz on the AMD cards vs 60Hz as you are using a TV.  There should be a HDTV compatible 59.93 Hz refresh rate to choose from.

0 Likes

Sadly, I get the same results with 59hz. Anything above 50hz forces the screen to turn off & on every few seconds. It's okay though. I am currently keeping an eye on  price for Samsung - CHG90 49.0" 3840x1080 144 Hz Monitor which supports FREESYNC

. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sBKhP6/samsung-lc49hg90dmnxza-490-3840x1080-144hz-monitor-lc49hg90d...

0 Likes