Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tlgalenson
Journeyman III

2990WX and Seti@Home

Hi,

I have a 2990WX cpu with CL14/ddr4-3200 memory (4 sticks) running on an MSI  X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard.  I am an AMD newbie.  I ran some AMD cpus decades ago.

My primary interest in running this cpu is to get maximum production of Seti@Home cpu tasks under Linux.

I am aware of the direct memory/2 hop memory issue.

I am currently using the MB builtin OverClock feature to run it at 3.7GHz with Cpu boost off (recommended for my app), Precision Overdrive on, XFR off and Quiet&Cool off.

My understanding is I now have the fastest recommended ram hardware and I believe I have it set to use the ram at full speed.

I am wondering if I would get "more production" if I was to drop the OC and go just with the regular Turbo boost features?

A previous test before I got my C14/3200 memory ran at about 3.3GHz.

I am currently running 60 cores out of 64.  Other research I have read seems to indicate that 40 cores is about the sweet spot compute intensive production.  I am testing to confirm that.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Respectfully,

Tom M

0 Likes
1 Reply
misterj
Big Boss

I do not have much to add, tlgalenson.  You have a perfect laboratory to get at what you need to know.  You did not how much or brand of memory.  At 64 GB you should be able to run a little faster (maybe 3600 MHz) than 128 GB and Ryzens and Samsung B-Dies really seem to like each other and results in a more stable system.  Here is a really nice free memory utility if you are not aware - Thaiphoon Burner.  Let me know if you cannot find it via Google.  Posting a link causes a few minutes to a day or so delay in posting due to moderating.  Another really great utility is Ryzen Master (AMD), especially for temperatures because it is the only reference I am aware of.  Both of these are W10 only.  You may want to boot W10 and do some testing.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes