cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

arazvan
Journeyman III

Can I upgrade my AMD A6-4400m to AMD A10-4600m on HP Pavilion G7? Motherboard is Hewlett-Packard 184B (Socket FT1).

PC Specs.png

0 Likes
6 Replies

No, Socket FT1 processors are soldered to the motherboard.

0 Likes
neon
Miniboss

Yes, socket FS1r2 A-Series Mobile processors are generally compatible, but you may need a UEFI update before upgrading from Trinity (A#-4###) to Richland (A#-5###) APUs.

0 Likes

How do I update my UEFI and what is the worst that can happen if I don't?

0 Likes

UEFI updates come from HP. You can use the "HP Support Assistant" utility to check if your UEFI is up to date, and to download the correct update if it is out of date. You can also download the latest UEFI from HP support directly for a manual install, but you will need the exact model of the notebook to locate the proper UEFI.

The worst that can happen if UEFI is too old to support the Richland APUs is the system will not boot. However, you indicated that you want to upgrade to A10-4600M, which is still Trinity. Thus, UEFI update should not be required for that APU change.

0 Likes

So, your basically saying I can upgrade my CPU with this motherboard. Is it soldered like the guy above said?

0 Likes

IF you actually have A6-4400M then yes it can be upgraded.

However, it now occurs to me that there is another APU A6-4455M that is socket FP2 and is soldered to the motherboard. It is possible that some CPU detection applications might confuse these. Thus, a good way to proceed is to write the notebook's product number (usually something like AN123AB#ABC) and serial number. Both of these should be located on a sticker on the bottom, or you can sometimes type [Fn + Esc] to find them. From there, we can look up the numbers with HP to find the exact configuration.

0 Likes