Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

alexcd
Journeyman III

My RX480 is crashing randomly under load in certain games

Hi,

My RX480 is crashing at seemingly random points when under load in certain games, and it's artifacting in strange ways.

Specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB

RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair vegence DDR3

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit

Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

Drivers: Many versions. (troubleshooting since MHW release date). Currently up to date on recommended driver.

Monster Hunter World

In a particularly effects-heavy scene in MHW, my game will lock up and I'll get a 'no signal' message on my monitor.

Most of the time my monitor will start displaying the desktop again after a few seconds.

If it recovers, MHW displays an error 12 message.

My display output will then often freeze up a few more times in the following minutes (sometimes repeating the 'no signal' crash, sometimes without recovering).

If it doesn't recover, I'll be stuck with a no signal on my monitor.

Sometimes I won't have any audio output, sometimes I will, but either way I'll be forced to reset my PC to fix it.

The game shows some strange artifacts, usually in relation to effects like the scoutflies seen here​.

I haven't got a screenshot handy (as it's hard to predict when it will happen), but usually one or more of the partical effects will be stretched out across my monitor (a 1 or two pixels thick line).

Sometimes the effect will really mess up, and the whole screen will be of the same colour for a second ish (almost like the game backdrop has been replaced with a bright light).

I can work around this by setting my graphics setting super low.

GTA V

I experience the same behaviour as the MHW crash but slightly less frequently.

Artifacting is worse in this game, with parts/all of the game flashing a bright neon colour for a single frame every 10 seconds or so.

Other games crash in the other way (Planet Coaster, Killing floor 2).

Some artifact a little bit (black squares popping up here and there in the screen).

I've tried:

Reinstalling windows.

Updating my drivers

Clearing my shader cache.

Reseating the card, rebuilding + cleaning the system.

Tweaking settings.

I've attached two HWiNFO64 logs of some gameplay.

I crashed at the end of the two monster hunter world logs, and artifacted in the GTAV session.

0 Likes
0 Replies