cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Why I love Ryzen (and liquid cooling)

I wish I had a video of my old Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor with my Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and the gigantic Delta fan I used on it that sounded like a 737 at full tilt to use as a comparison (70dB is quite loud), but this is what I hear whenever my CPU is at 50 degrees or under. Now, my phone is literally leaning up against my computer case (Corsair C70) with two 120mm fans about 2 inches away, but this is what I hear, though a bit quieter since I sit about 2 feet from my tower. In the background you can hear my television, which is at 7% volume, and about 12 feet away. The flashing orange light is the onboard HDD activity light. As for liquid cooling, this is why I will always prefer it over air. It's whisper quiet! And CPU temp is 30*C. A CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo and a pair of fans may do the job, but a closed loop liquid cooler will also keep it quiet, and why I always recommend liquid over air. It may be twice as expensive, but as they say, silence is golden.

Well that, and the fact that Ryzen isn't a 28nm (or, in the case of the 6000+, 90nm) antique.

6 Replies
qwixt
Forerunner

I am not a fan of water cooling because I don't want to worry about pump failures, leakage, etc... I typically get a big case to handle huge heatsinks like Noctua DH-15 or Thermalright Le Grand Macho (my current one). Both are very quiet. Even if the fans fail on these things, you still get quite a bit of cooling.

Compared to water cooling, you must be prepared to accept that

- You can't run stuff like prime indefinitely without thermal throttling.

- You must settle for lower overclock.

This is especially true for higher core count CPUs. I went with 8700k (don't flog me for it I didn't feel like dealing with Ryzen 1's high speed memory lottery) and it's very rare that anything can push thermals to 65C, usually the temps are in the 50s.

With all that said, I do agree that a custom closed loop system where you can add the GPU is extremely tempting. I also think water cooling makes the most sense for anything with 8 cores or more.

0 Likes

That's why I went closed loop with my Corsair H115i, sealed so there's no leaks, and if there somehow is a leak, and the non-conductive fluid causes a component to be damaged, their warranty covers components damaged by leakage. I'm not big on GPU watercooling on an open loop, both because of the expensive of an open cooler setup, but also because you void your warranty. I do love the idea of a closed loop liquid cooler on them though, but the board partner's custom coolers usually do a great job both acoustically and thermally.

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

I am on a Floe Riing 360 since a few weeks - here my thought:

The Good - under idle/load CPU temps are much better than Fan.. usually at least 10C better.
Running LinpackXtreme and IntelBurn concurrently keeps CPU at ~40C

however..

living in a hot country room temps can easily exceed 30C (summer) and the radiator's heat dissipation, especially under load, is much higher than fan hence room temp is climbing quickly - bit of a shot-in-the-foot situation when room temps are high!

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Monster Labo

Silent as it gets!

TheFrieber
Journeyman III

You guys think, xigmatek hdt-s1283 on a ryzen 2600 is good? Because i have right now the amd stock cooler.. 

0 Likes
caleb_cruze
Adept II

Choosing to upgrade your gaming laptop or PC is only the beginning. Next, you’ll need to decide which type of processor to purchase – AMD or Intel. This has traditionally proven to be challenging for indecisive gamers, but new developments may ease the selection process.

AMD recently released its Ryzen 3000 series, which promises to revolutionize the gaming experience while maximizing efficiency. This release builds on a strong heritage, with the first and second generations of Ryzen processors having completely transformed the market.

The Ryzen 3000 series delivers new and impressive qualities – namely, better performance at a still reasonable price. While the many 3000 series options may seem confusing at first glance, they can essentially be compared based on model number. Higher numerals translate to better specs (and greater expenses).

The most significant benefit the AMD Ryzen 3000 series offers over Intel processors is its pricing. For example, the flagship 3900X virtually matches the Intel i9-9920X in terms of performance – but costs far less. Likewise, benchmarks from AMD suggest that the 3700X beats out the i7-9700K in terms of rendering performance, despite saving users a significant chunk of change. By spending less money on processors, cash-strapped gamers can dedicate a larger portion of their budget to other necessary upgrades.

Elite gamers appreciate the impressive capabilities AMD Ryzen 3000 processors bring to the table. The AMD Ryzen 9 3950X, for example, has already broken overclocking records, having been pushed to an impressive 5GHz across 16 cores. Previously, the Intel Core i9-7960X held the world record.

Given their superior performance, Ryzen Threadrippers are worthy of consideration for serious gamers who demand the utmost in quality. Arriving shortly after the 3000 series, this groundbreaking collection is believed to include a 32-core, 64-thread processor.

The Ryzen Threadrippers’ extra cores are expected to improve speed dramatically. This approach is primarily favored among computer users who dedicate a significant amount of their time to video encoding and 3D rendering. However, additional cores could prove valuable among a small, but rapidly growing group of gamers who claim to enjoy better performance under such a setup. Battlefield V devotees, in particular, are enthusiastic about the new Ryzen Threadripper series.

There’s no reason to settle for less-than-stellar performance from your gaming computer. A new processor could elevate every aspect of the PC gaming experience – without breaking the bank. Don’t hesitate to invest in one of the exceptional processors from the AMD Ryzen 3000 series. When you invest in a new and improved processor, you’ll wonder how you ever went without it.

Regards,
Caleb

0 Likes