cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

skerries
Adept I

Vega 64 hangs PC on boot but works when other GPU installed

I just bought a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 and installed it into my 2700X rig (X470 Auros Ultra Gaming mobo, 16gb Vengeance LPX 3000mhz Ram) but when I turn it on it looks like it is going to boot but gives no output on screen and the keyboard and mouse lock up with no lights but the PC has lights.

I installed both my R9 390 and the Vega 64 at the same time and when it boots with the 390 I am able to swap over to the Vega 64 with no problem on DP until I reboot when it hangs again, and was able to test with 3DMark on the Vega 64 (Firestrike 18,000)

I have updated the BIOS and cleaned out the old video drivers using DDU and put on the latest 18.11.2 ones

I have also tried different PCI slots

I looked and one suggestion was to disable fast boot and PCI-E management but no change

0 Likes
1 Solution
skerries
Adept I

resolved:

turns out it didn't like the Displayport but works with HDMI

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
theacclaimed
Miniboss

What power supply are you using?

0 Likes

Corsair HX850w and the Display is a 34" Samsung CF791

0 Likes

If you have only the Vega 64 installed without the R9 390 is it able to post and get into the UEFI or boot to windows?

0 Likes

with just the Vega 64 it is unable to boot to even a splash screen

0 Likes

Was the Vega 64 purchased new? If it was purchased used maybe it has a custom mining bios on the video card. Try switching to the other bios on the Vega card.

0 Likes

The card was brand new and factory sealed

0 Likes
terrys999
Journeyman III

Could it be that they are 2 different cards?

i have same problem with W8100 and a titan black on same setup

uninstall drivers.

remove the other card.

just put the vega in.

reboot.

install your drivers.

shut down and insert the other card.

reboot.

Remember you need the vega to be installed first then when you reboot with the other card in windows will see the other card and install for that card too.

this should fx the problem

0 Likes

PC will not boot with Vega card only 390 card

0 Likes

Does it at least post and can get to the BIOS? Maybe the motherboard BIOS needs to run in UEFI but Ryzen motherboards usually are all UEFI enabled by default.

0 Likes

when just the Vega is installed it doesn't even get to the splash screen and it hangs the PC with no lights on the keyboard and mouse just in the PC itself and with no output from the monitor

0 Likes

Have the card checked out.

can you test it in another computer?

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

Things to check in BIOS:

- Make sure it's UEFI.

- Disable fast boot in bios

- You might need to enable CSM Support

- Initial Display Output should be set appropriately for the slot that you are using for the initialization. Example, slot 1 is the PCIex16 slot, and the vega 64 should be in that slot when running alone.

For giggles, you might try running separate PSU power cord to each GPU power connector on the GPU. Since that PSU is single rail, I don't expect it to change anything.

0 Likes

The problem is the post screen doesn't even show up so there is no way to get into BIOS. The system works fine with the R9 390. Keep in mind also this is R7 2700X so the motherboard is using UEFI by default. I suspect it might be a faulty video card but it would need to be tested in another system to make sure.

0 Likes
skerries
Adept I

resolved:

turns out it didn't like the Displayport but works with HDMI

0 Likes