cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

theacclaimed
Miniboss

RX Vega 56/64 Video playback stutters on High Refresh 144hz on 2nd monitor while gaming

I am testing both the RX Vega 64 reference card and the Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64. Video playback in all web browsers and media players stutters while using a high refresh rate monitor, above 60Hz while playing a game on the main monitor. Exclusive Fullscreen and borderless windowed fullscreen both exhibit the issue.

The issue does not appear when using an older GPU at 144Hz such as the R9 Fury.

Affected Drivers include:

Test System:

==================================

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 (also tested and confirmed same behavior on Reference RX Vega 64)

MOBO: MSI X370 XPOWER Gaming Titanium (latest bios)

RAM: 16GB 2933mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W

Displays: 3x AOC Agon AG241QX 1440p 144Hz Freesync

Monitor Specs:

AOC Agon AG241QX 2560x1440p @ 144Hz DP 1.2 (Main Display)

AOC Agon AG241QX 2560x1440p @ 144Hz DP 1.2

AOC Agon AG241QX 2560x1440p @ 144Hz, HDMI 2.0b

It seems to only be an issue on RX Vega when using muiltiple monitors at 100Hz, 120Hz, and 144Hz. Issue does not appear when using 60Hz refresh rate.

The only workaround I've found is to run the monitors at 60Hz. These are Freesync monitors but disabling freesync on all 3 does not fix the issue. The reference card was tested using all 3 DP connections and verified same behavior. Issue was also duplicated on an old i7-4770k z87 system with the reference RX Vega 64 so it is not a CPU platform specific problem.

0 Likes
1 Solution
theacclaimed
Miniboss

This should be filed as a Freesync bug with multiple monitors.

When freesync is enabled on the main or all 3 displays with refresh rate at 120Hz or higher. Video playback on all web browsers and media players will stutter. Something wrong with the frame display timing.

Issue exists in

Workaround: Disable Freesync on all monitors and reset PC.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
v3dt
Newcomer

This maybe related to the same issue I've been having with my Vega 56 in a multi-monitor setup

Vega 56 - Windows 10 Desktop lagging while gaming in windowed mode.

AMD Vega 56, Desktop lag when game is focused. - YouTube

0 Likes

I read your post and yes this is the same problem that I described above.

RX Vega gpus seem to be the only ones affected. I've tested R9 Fury cards and they do not have this problem. A workaround is to run all monitors at 60Hz and limit fps in all games to 60fps.

0 Likes

I'd love to tell you a solution but I don't have one. But with the reports I see here and the fact that I have 4 pre vega cards of different series using current drivers I can tell you that the mileage varies. For whatever reason the Vega seems to be hardest hit. Just make sure to report your specific issues to AMD driver team they don't see it here in these User to User forums.  AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Likes
theacclaimed
Miniboss

This is a serious bug that should be listed in the next driver update release notes whether it gets listed as a known issue or fixed issue, regardless it needs to be listed.

0 Likes

you may be right but it won't happen from you asking here. These are user forums only. You need to file a issue report. You can do that from Radeon Settings.

theacclaimed
Miniboss

This should be filed as a Freesync bug with multiple monitors.

When freesync is enabled on the main or all 3 displays with refresh rate at 120Hz or higher. Video playback on all web browsers and media players will stutter. Something wrong with the frame display timing.

Issue exists in

Workaround: Disable Freesync on all monitors and reset PC.

Not isolated to multiple monitors. I'm still having this issue using the 18.8.1 drivers with a single monitor (XR341CK / Vega 64).

0 Likes

Make sure you file an issue report for every driver this is still not working.

0 Likes

I've filed the bug report for 18.8.1 and 18.7.1.

0 Likes
theacclaimed
Miniboss

This issue still exists in the current latest drivers from October and November.

There is also a youtube video that demonstrates the issue at the 12:05 minute mark.

Exploring AMD's Radeon RX Vega 64 Crossfire - YouTube

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

Hi Everyone.

Thank you folks on AMD forums for at least pointing me towards identifying my problem.

I have this exact same issue, here's the thing.

I've just upgraded from a RX580 to a RX5700XT and I'm just now experiencing this issue with Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.9.2.

I've always had freesync enabled on my RX580, but I never saw this issue before I upgraded.

I really don't wanna have to disable Freesync.

My main monitor is an AOC 35-144 hz and my TV is just a 60hz, running HDMI from GFX to a receiver and HDMI throughput from the receiver to the TV.

As far as I can tell, Vega's were the only ones affected by this bug, but I can now confirm that Navi's has it too

I read earlier that reducing Hz from 144 to sub-120 might help with the problem, I'll try that when I get home and report back.

But yeah, the youtube vids posted earlier shows exactly what I'm seeing with 5700XT also.

0 Likes

You are not alone in this issue. I don not know that there is a work around for this issue. Make sure to report it to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

As far as I can tell, a Windows update from last year caused the issue. One day I decided to update both Windows and the drivers for my RX 480 (didn't have the issue before that), and the issue appeared. I rolled back the driver to the one I know didn't have the issue, and even tried older drivers - but it still persists. Been keeping Freesync disabled since then. Currently still having the issue on my Vega 64 when I enable FreeSync.

I'm almost tempted to install an older version of Win10 or even run Win 8.1 on my system.

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

OK - Changing my main monitor to 120/100/60 hz.  didn't do the trick.

I've messed around with all kinds of settings, but all to no avail.

0 Likes