cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

airdave
Adept II

? Video crashed, "out of range" issue, can't seem to fix Drivers....

Updated Radeon Adrenalin a few days ago...the one after 18.9.3?...had an issue during installation, so I cancelled it.

Still, got a message saying the software was partially installed and everything seemed to work.

I decided to reinstall and all went okay.

Jump ahead to today...playing World of Warships...and video crashes during a match.

Get a gray screen...kind of like TV snow...and a mild squealing sound.

After a few moments, the screen goes black and I get the "D-Sub...Out of Range...193.1kHz / 53Hz" error message.

I tried rebooting the PC, but thats all I get now.

Black screen with the Out of range message.

So, my plan is to somehow get in and uninstall the Radeon software.

But I cannot even boot into Safe Mode...same screen.

I am forced to dismantle the case and remove the R7-370 and reboot the system using the motherboard graphics.

I uninstalled whatever I could see in the Control panel for AMD and then put the Video Card back in...

still won't boot to anything but that black screen and Out of range message.

Removed the card again, went back to the Motherboard setup...but now Windows wants to do a bunch of updates,

and I can't get the system to recognize my monitor (will only give me basic resolutions)...

if I manually opt for anything else, I get "Out of Range" screens again (although they all have different screen rates)

After Windows updates...the basic Windows driver kicked in to give me proper screen res, but i am still on motherboard graphics.

Is my Video Card screwed? (a little over 2 years old),

or is this a Radeon software thing...and what do I do next?

Or...Is something else damaged?

Any advice? (Thanks)

Desktop PC Windows 7 64 Bit

AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor  

M5A78L-M/USB3 mainboard Rev X.0x Bios 1801

8Gb RAM

Strix Radeon R7-370 4Gb

Radeon Adrenalin 18.9.3 currently uninstalled

27" LG IPS  Monitor

0 Likes
28 Replies
airdave
Adept II

Follow up...

I got the PC running okay today, albeit on motherboard graphics.

All windows updates applied...some windows repairs?...and I installed the AMD Utility to remove all AMD software.

Once I did that, and rebooted the system, Windows reinstalled the basic driver for my monitor.

1920 x1080 is working fine, and the system is running fine.

Just now...shut it all down...reinstalled the R7-370 Card.

Figured I would boot as like the very first time I installed this card and then install the last known good Radeon Adrenalin software.

But...upon boot up, Windows loads and runs okay...but my screen is black with the D-SUB Out of range message.

(I notice the kHz rates are different than the earlier message, not that it matters?)

I tried booting up in Safe mode, but I get the same thing. You can hear that Windows has booted, but the screen is black with the error message.

Does this mean the Card itself has failed? or what do i do?

Attachments Photo 1 is the original error screen...and photo 2 is todays error screen

0 Likes

Download the driver you want.

Run DDU from safe mode.  Get it from WagnardSoft_com.

Disconnect from the internet. ( this is the key as it is Windows update screwing up the driver)

Restart, and install the driver.

Restart with internet back on and you should be good to go.

0 Likes

Download what driver? I'm not sure what driver we are talking about here.

The R7-370 should install on Windows drivers...and then installing Radeon Adrenalin software gives you full capability and controls.

As I clearly stated...I cannot boot into safe mode with the card installed. I get the same black screen and out of range message.

And if the card isn't installed, then I can't install the Radeon drivers.

But as far as removing any display driver, I booted the computer using the onboard graphics and then I used the AMD driver utility to clean out anything that remained. (I said this too)

And it did remove what was left, because Windows had to reinstall a driver for my monitor.

I was hoping, after that, I could reinstall the video card (and then reinstall the Radeon software), but the screen isnt there with the card in place.

Windows updates were not activated during the original video crash...its only after I removed the Video card and got the system up with motherboard graphics, that Windows had somehow turned updates back on and was asking to download and install. I also ran a Windows repair, which again prompted some windows updates.

I've since turned off Windows updates again.

0 Likes

okay, so, is the DDU any better to use than the AMD Utility?

The AMD Utility is what was recommended to me for removing old files when installing newer versions of radeon software.

I can use either programs while operating on motherboard graphics.

Which means, it kills my monitor...puts it back to low res 800x600 graphics.

But then Windows usually installs a (AMD) driver at that point (on its own) to get me back to 1920x1080 HD.

I cannot do any of this with the video card installed.

As soon as I put it back in, I boot with a black screen...normal and safe mode.

So I am still stumped as how to do this, or follow your directions.

0 Likes

Beginning to sound like your GPU Card is bad.

No GPU drivers are installed when the computer first boots up. Since you get no video at all from when it first boots up, sounds like it is the GPU card is bad or the GPU card video output port went bad.

D-Sub is VGA port. Does your monitor support DVI-D or HDMI or DP?

Are you using a VGA to VGA cable or are you using an Adapter  DVI/HDMI/DP to VGA?

Try using a different Video port on the GPU card and see if you get video when you boot up.  If you are using an VGA Adapter, the adapter must be an "ACTIVE" adapter. This means the adapter converts the digital signal into a analog signal before reaching the monitor.

Best way to find out is to try and install it in another computer. If it does the same thing with no video, most likely your GPU went bad.

0 Likes

Someone else suggested trying a different cable.

Not sure what other cable types I have...but I'll look and see.

My Monitor has HDMI and D-Sub only.

I might have another monitor...I'll have to dig it out of storage and see what connections it has.

I have another Tower connected to my TV, but not sure it has a PCI express slot, or room for this big card.

Its an older HP PC.

I'll check these things.

0 Likes

If you are black in safe mode then I would think it is a bad card too. It should be no issue in safe mode. To know for sure I would try that card in another PC ( just saw elstaci said that too). If it works in another machine, you got your answer right there. If you have not done what I said with DDU, I would still try that first. It absolutely can't hurt.

The amd cleanup utility is a bit more harsh at it's approach. It will remove all things AMD even driver not for graphics. So it can be a bit overkill for what is needed. It also while removing physical jobs leaves registry settings behind for the video that DDU removes. Many of the AMD guys also recommend DDU. If you want to stick with a stock AMD approach do the clean install from the custom in the Graphics driver but I don't recommend the AMD cleanup utility unless it is a last resort before reinstalling Windows.

Today, I am going to try to install this card in a different computer and see if i get the D-Sub error.

That will tell me right away if the card is the problem.

I don't get the error, I am obviously back to fixing the system.

I submitted a ticket for this on the first day, and just got an email reply back from AMD Tech support regarding this problem...

basically this is what the tell me to do:

Reset the motherboard bios by clearing the CMOS.

Remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds.

[I'm confused...Does removing the battery reset the BIOS? or is this two different things?]

Reset the Monitor settings to default from OSD settings.

[I don't know how to do this? There is only one "reset" option in the colours and contrasts menu]

Download the DDU Tool and AMD Drivers [(they linked in the email)].

Run the DDU Tool by using the .exe file.

When a warning is given that the PC is not in safe mode, opt for safe mode and the computer will reboot in safe mode.

Run the DDU tool.

Now install the AMD Drivers.

[at this point I am confused, because without the R7 Card installed, the drivers will not install.

If I put the Card back in first, I will not be able to do any of this because of the black screen/D-SUB error.

Unless the error is cleared after resetting the BIOS/CMOS?

So what do I do?... keep taking everything apart and inserting, removing the Video Card and trying it at every step?.

At some point I am going to damage this card (if its not already damaged)

Or...when do they suggest I install the Video card?]

0 Likes

I'm in no position to second guess AMD on reasoning. It shouldn't hurt to remove and put the card back in, as long as you are gentle.

Now to answer a few  of your questions.

When it comes to resetting the CMOS. I would refer to your motherboard book if you have one. If not your mother board model is usually printed on the board itself and you can google for a manual.

Typically clearing the CMOS is done with a jumper. It is possible that removing battery will reset the primary bios to defaults. This however will reset any customizations you have made if any in the bios. Things like driver boot order, power on after failure, overclocking, etc....

I would look for the way the manual tells you to do it first, but pulling the battery is an easy way to accomplish it if you don't know and I am sure that is why AMD just says to do that.

If your monitor has no other default reset, then no, nothing else you can do.

DDU must be run from safe mode.

Yes you have to put the card back in before installing the AMD drivers you want. Remember to be disconnected from the internet. This is very important!

Well, I think I followed AMD instructions...and more!...over the last four hours...

Step by Step:

I disconnected the Internet cable.

I removed the CMOS Battery for about 10 minutes.

Then I rebooted...and was asked to do something about the BIOS.

I chose to load the default settings. Date and Time are changed to 2002!

Then I rebooted again, this time into safe mode.

I ran DDU...twice...because first time I forgot to check remove all AMD Files/Folders.

Then I rebooted into normal mode. Windows adjusted the Monitor settings to 1920x1080 again.

I "reset" the monitor ...all default settings.

Then I shut down and connected the Radeon Card using the D-Sub connection.

Rebooted...with a black screen/ out of range message again.

Tried booting in safe model, same screen.

Disconnected the monitor...and attached an older monitor that has a dvi-d connection.

Using the dvi-d cable I was able to get a screen...crappy looking, but a windows screen.

So I rebooted into safe mode and did the DDU again.

Then rebooted into normal and installed the up to date radeon software.

Rebooted...and Windows will not load. Black screen and keeps trying to reboot.

Rebooted into safe mode...it worked...but obviously I am not getting anywhere.

I have reset BIOS again...run the DDU again (in safe mode).

Gone back to my original monitor, connected by D-Sub cable to onboard motherboard graphics.

I still have no clue if the Video card is fried, or the dongle (dvi-d to d-sub) is damaged (why would it be?) or if the D-Sub cable is damaged (why would it be?)

Or, is something on my mainboard fried?

How do I confirm any of this?

I have absolutely no problem buying whatever parts I need or even buying a new computer...if i could just confirm what is wrong!

0 Likes

all you can do at this point is try that card in another pc. If it works there something is hosed in your WIndows installation. If it doesn't work then it's likely a card gone bad. I know this stuff sucks. Been there many times myself. PITA for sure!

0 Likes

lol I have two other (older) PCs in the house ...but both have PCI Express slots for cards.

But neither have sufficient power supplies with the auxilliary power plugs required by this card!

0 Likes

if have any kind of a computer store near where you are, you could maybe buy a molex or stata to pci express adapter cable. They make a bunch of different adapters. Maybe even pickup another Power Supply. Here I go spending your money! I love having a spare on hand myself for when one dies. You could with some retailers return it to, do a little testing, then take it back? Or if the place is cool like Micro Centers are, you could ask them to test the card quickly for your. Most computer repair companies have bench computer sitting there they can use to test with. Maybe you have a gamer friend or co-worker local that would help you out? I know all this is a pain.

0 Likes
airdave
Adept II

I just installed an older sapphire radeon 1gb  video card in my system (from my TV Computer).

The card is (PCI express)  and has two outputs (DVI-D and D-SUB/VGA)

I connected using the VGA out...D-SUB cable direct to monitor.

Works fine.

Driver installed, rebooted, working fine.

I attached the Dongle Adaptor to the DVI-D port and to the VGA(D-SUB) cable to the monitor.

Works even better!

DVI-D output is sharp and clear.

Correct me if I am wrong...this tells me that:

The motherboard and pci-express slot are fine.

The VGA (D-SUB) cable is fine.

The Dongle/Adaptor (DVI-D to D-SUB) is fine.

Windows is fine.

So that must mean the Video card is the problem.

?

0 Likes

sure sounding like it. but it isn't impossible you still have a something in the registry for that hardware ID of you card not working messed up. it can be a nightmare getting that fixed. most just reinstall Windows at that point. that is why it would be best to try the card in another machine if possible.

0 Likes
airdave
Adept II

sort of related question...

my mainboard is Asus M5A78L-M  and CPU is AMD FX8300 8 core

Am I restricted to an AMD Radeon card? I've always only had Radeon Cards.

Tried a GeForce card once, in an older system and it wouldn't work, went back to Radeon cards.

But I am hearing better things about Nvidia, and I am tired of AMD issues.

I am looking at this:

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 TI 4G

or this:

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GV-N105TOC-4GD

Yes...I've already ordered a 750w power supply (I'll keep my 600w as a back up)

0 Likes

you sure don't need that big of a power supply, your 600 is fine especially if you go green team. their requirements would be lower. I strongly disagree with the choice to go with a 1050ti. If you are going to buy a new card then get one that will do 1080p maxed at least. Not trying to spend your money for you but from Nvidia I would do a 1060 6gb at a minimum or and RX 580 8GB from AMD. I have seen RX 580's under 200 recently. I think if I was buying a new card, I wouldn't cripple my performance over 50 or 60 dollars. Only you can decide that though. Good luck!

0 Likes

So, how 'bout this then?

Sapphire 11266-09-20G Radeon Nitro+ RX 570 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI DVI-D Dual DP Backplate (UEFI) PCI-E Graphics Card

This costs $308CAD for me.

I'm looking at $250-$300 for a 4gb...so might as well step it up a bit?

0 Likes

I would do a 580 for the $20 difference in price. It is just way more than $20 dollars better in performance. The more card you buy now the longer it works for you at your current resolution. That $20 could literally save you from having to get another card in 2 years to still bet minimal frame rates. That is the way I look at it. When I buy a card I always kinda look at it like do I buy one card for 250 to 300 or 3 cards for 150 to 200. The second option literally ends up costing as much as double. Only you can decide what to spend. I however absolutely think an RX 580 or 1060 would be the minimum with IMHO the 580 being the better performance card. The 1060 however is cooler running but no quite as powerful. I have issues with drivers from both camps, but do find the out of box setup of the Nvidia cards to be a bit more user friendly. Took a lot of tweaking to get the AMD cards stable. This was never the case until Watman came on the scene.

0 Likes

New

I think I'm going with this then:
Sapphire 11265-07-20G Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 4GB GDDR5
Its more in my price range (under $250).

That'll leave me some room to double up the RAM (from 8gb to 16gb)

And the modular EVGA 750w...I know I don't need it, but it can't hurt.
0 Likes

You will benefit greatly from the 8gb on video card. In fact it will make a bigger impact than going from 8gb to 16gb system ram. IMHO I would go no less than the 8gb unless you go green team then no less than 6. 4gb is not enough at this point. If currently price is an issue I would stick with 8gb system ram then add another 8 in a couple months. Something like that. IF you can go 8 on the GC and 16 on the system you won't feel the need to change anything then for a few years likely. Anything else and I promise you wont be happy. Again only you can decide that.

0 Likes

Its easy to say "its only another $20"...or "if you're buying this, you might as well spend a bit more and get this"

Problem is, its never ending, and before long it puts me way over budget...and I question whether I should do any of this.

The 4gb Sapphire 580 is $239....I was trying to keep this under $250.

So...may as well pay the extra and get the 8gb right?...except the 8gb you quoted above is $330 (not $300)

Thats a $100 jump! and now $80 over budget.

In fact all the 8gb cards are well over $300.

Anyway, XFX does not have good reports, and I was reluctant to consider an XFX card.

Sapphire however always get good scores in a number of areas.

(I already have 2 Sapphire cards still working, more than 10-15 years old!)

So, I bought this one...well outside my budget...but hopefully it will last longer than 2 years (as my Strix card did not).

Not quite as good as the Nitro, but I have to save some bucks somewhere.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06ZZ6FMF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its ordered, on its way.

0 Likes

Glad you got something. Hope it serves you well. Never had a problem with XFX other than a fan going out and they sent me a free one in the mail and anther card popped a cap and they cross shipped me a card in 48 hours. Needed adapters and crossfire connectors in the past and XFX would always send them out free. Nothing but great experience with them.  I have had 2 Sapphire cards die in warranty and they refused to honor the warranty on both cards. There are tons of reports of bad support from Sapphire. I have had 4 Sapphire cards 2 are still running. I think their out of box quality is good, but had horrible experience with there Quality. I think XFX is kinda the opposite, although me personally I have not had a lemon from them. Even the card that popped the cap, my power supply fried and I'm pretty sure it caused that. The link I sent you was $300 at the time I sent it, Amazons price is very dynamic and changes if someone buys one. Anyway I see another on Amazon right now for $280 but you already bough. Good Luck!

0 Likes
theacclaimed
Miniboss

Does the R7 370 work with the monitor when connected via HDMI? It sounds like an issue with the D-sub.

0 Likes

I already stated, the R7 has two DVI-D outputs, with a D-SUB adaptor.

And the D-SUB Dongle/Adaptor (and D-SUB/VGA cable) work fine on another card.

0 Likes

What is the exact model? The Strix R7 370 that I've used has two DVI-D, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort connection.

0 Likes

This is true...it does have an HDMI port.

But its irrelevant at this point.

I don't think my monitor has HDMI...I would have to switch monitors again.

I already established the DVI-D connection works (until I tired to install Radeon Adrenalin)

and I cleared the Dongle and VGA cable.

I've also established that the Mboard and PCIe slot are okay.

I've since ran system file checker and a scan of windows reveals no system file errors.

And...I've got new parts on their way.

I'll send the Strix Card in (its under warranty) and get it checked.

0 Likes