cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dmallehotog
Journeyman III

System Crash & Black Screen On Boot - Faulty GPU?

BACKGROUND (Please read it all): computer screen has been subtly flickering for the past few weeks. Crashed once a few days ago to the windows 10 "your pc ran into a problem and needs to reboot" screen. Crashed today to a black screen and could not startup. I suspected an issue with graphics card - Radeon HD 7800 series (which one - I have no clue because it doesn't tell me but I'm not even sure if it makes a difference in which driver to get? Believe it is the 7870 but can't find out using dxdiag or GPU-Z program.)

Started in safe mode. Did stress tests on CPU/RAM for several hours and checked health of SSD and 1TB HD. All good, no crashing, no problems. Booting in normal mode with graphics card disabled fixes the black screen and allows me to continue. It is either the card is done or the driver. I am trying to do a clean install and get a new driver to find out.

I read this already: https://community.amd.com/thread/180667

I have deleted all the contents of the AMD folder in the C drive already.

Now, I run into a problem: first of all, if I am in safe mode, I cannot uninstall AMD software in programs and features. The progress bar does not move on the uninstaller, and attempting to cancel it leaves it stuck until the window is force closed. So, I try to reboot in normal mode with graphics card disabled to see if I can uninstall it there. During the uninstall the computer gets a black screen.

Tried to proceed to using the display driver uninstaller (DDU) program even though I didn't get rid of the AMD software first. Selected AMD, hit clean and restart, and tried to use the AMD driver installer in safe mode - doesn't let me. Booted in normal mode with graphics card disabled, try to run the AMD driver installer, about halfway through get a black screen that lasts indefinitely.

Am I screwed and need a new card or is there something else I can try to fix the driver? Thank you for reading.

Message was edited by: Matt B

Edit title

0 Likes
2 Replies
oreilpj
Journeyman III

I have a similar issue. Dell Inspiron with Radeon HD 7750. Was all working fine for 2 years and suddenly all went black. Eventually installed a clean windows 10 and computer started working again until I installed the graphics card and everything crashes during installation and will not reboot. Is this the physical graphics card or a software issue? Help!!

0 Likes
jamiepilkjgp
Journeyman III

Have you solved this problem? I am having a very similar problem with my r9 270x. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and changing the pci express slot and still the same problem. If I unplug the graphics card and boot up then I boot normally.

0 Likes