Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cmdr001
Journeyman III

1920X and Hyper-V

Hey everyone,

So I was looking for some help in trying to identify if this might be something Threadripper related, or something else.

Recently purchased a 1920X, X399-E Gaming from Asus, 64GB 2400MHz DDR4 and am using a RX570, several Samsung SSDs

After having reinstalled Windows once again, drivers fully updated, MoBo BIOS updated, I'm still having this strange behavior in Hyper-V.

After I boot up the machine, if I try to connect to a machine via the Hyper-V console this may take 1 or 2 seconds - Not a whole lot by itself, acceptable, though on my previous lab machine it felt like it was always 1 second at the very worst - But if I happen to browse some pages, play some games and come back, then it might take some 5-6 seconds to open the window. This has gone up at least to some 12-15 seconds, and sometimes it doesn't open the window at all, I actually have to try to connect once again.

Now, the machines themselves for what I can tell are running super snappy as I'd expect with this kind of processing power and allocated RAM, but my issue is that I can't understand what is going on in this setup that's causing this.

Don't think that the issue may be in the CPU itself, however, this is the first time I am using an AMD CPU and I'm not sure what I should've been expecting about using Hyper-V like so rather than RDPing into the machines, or if there are any particular features I should be enabling at BIOS level to assist on this -- Or if it may really not be at all related with the different CPU type.

If anyone could possibly offer some kind of advice or suggestion as to why I may be experiencing this, or how I may go around to further troubleshoot it, I'd be most appreciate.

Thank you and kind regards.

0 Likes
5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

cmdr001, I have run Hyper-V on a 1950X and now a 2990WX and do not see what you describe.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master and give us more detail about your system.  Did you get your AMD drivers from AMD Driver DL site and not the MB vendor?  Are you running the Ryzen Balanced power plan?  What size power supply do you have, version of W10?  I always run RDP and assume that is the only way to connect to VMs.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hey, appreciated for the reply.

Below a screenshot of Ryzen Master (Which unfortunately requires Hyper-V to be disabled).

So, I actually had this turn around took the MoBo manufacturer drivers for the chipset, and frankly the power plan was missing - Found mildly odd because on the first Windows install I had seen it there, so, something was amiss but didn't found it particularly important. That part is corrected now anyway.

Power supply is 750W, running Windows 10 Pro. Drives are all Samsung, 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB 860 Evo, and 2 1TB 970 Evo.

If there's anything else you may find relevant, please ask.

The issue still seems to occur despite the change of the drivers (did a clean install just to be sure since it offered the option), though like I said, this is not an issue that manifests if I were to connect to the VMs via RDP. The machines themselves seem quite responsive, and would connect via RDP in the expected time.

The issue is merely when using Hyper-V's Manager console and connecting directly to the machines without RDP.

Now, what I did find is that when the machines were having a greater delay being connected to, a WMI service would pop up and stick around for a bit, then disappear or just consume an insignificant amount of CPU and being shuffled all the way down to the list. In sheer curiosity because I figured it could do no harm, I restarted the Windows Management Instrumentation service and the delay promptly went away.

If nothing else, I have a viable workaround now since I don't need to open and close the windows that frequently, though at this point if anyone could tell me if this is anything known with Hyper-V/Windows experience in general or not would be appreciated.

Ryzen SS.png

0 Likes

Thanks, cmdr001.  What looks weird to me is that core 1 is running 4150 MHz and all the rest are running 2200 MHz.  Is W10 dispatching to all 12 cores?  Where did you get your W10 to install?  I hope it is not a clone of another system.  Please open your Device Manager and expand Processors and post a screenshot.  Here is my 2990WX:

Processors.jpg

It shows 64 threads.  Yours should show 24.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Machine was idle right after boot up, so didn't seem particularly odd for me. I see the reported core speeds shifting as there's more and less load, and I see varying load across 24 threads. Checked the device manager, but as expected the 24 are there.

CPU.png

The Windows 10 was prepared from the Media Creator. It's a new system completely different from everything I had before so I wouldn't really dare to try and salvage the installation of my previous machine.

0 Likes

Thanks, cmdr001.  I agree.  Can you get a screenshot of Ryzen Master when your system is acting up?  Do you see all processors running in the 3-4 MHz range at the same time?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes