cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amd2700x
Adept I

Ryzen 2700x freezes at 80C

Hi friends, I need help regarding the temperatures of my Ryzen 2700x new build. My PC hangs at 80C while 3D rendering(overclocked for testing with stock cooler). According to Ryzen Master software and the CPUID Hardware monitor(Package Node 0), the temperature of CPU is 80C at the time of the freeze. And the confusing factor is that my motherboard CPU temp reads 90C which is 10C more than the Package Node 0 temperature. I doubt whether the Node 0 temperature readings are wrong? Because I learned from the internet that the stock cooler cannot handle much temperature during overclocking, so I am expecting the CPU to reach temperatures like 90C before freezing. In my case, it freezes at 80C.

Here are the readings while PC freezes:

CPUID Hardware monitor(Package Node 0) reads: 80C

Ryzen Master software reads: 80C

Temperature that motherboard reads of CPU: 90C

I am attaching an image of the readings while the PC froze.

So my concern is why there is a temperature difference?

If 80C is the actual reading then why the computer is freezing before even reaching 90C?

and which is the actual reading and how we can fix this? too many concerns

Ryzen 2700x + stock cooler

G-Skill 3200 8GB x 2

MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon

Zotac GTA 1070 Mini

EVGA Gold GQ 750W

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

amd2700X, the maximum temperature for the AMD 2700X is 85C as measured by Ryzen Master (RM).  Please do NOT believe any other CPU temperature numbers but RM's.  Please post a screenshot of RM when at a high CPU temperature.  Are you OCing, running your memory at what speed?  What is your memory PN, your UEFI and OS version?  Usually the supplied cooler is OK if applied correctly.  Your CPU should never freeze, internal logic should reduce the CPU voltage and clock to lower the CPU temperature.  Are you running the latest AMD DLed chip set drivers?  There is an image icon at the top of the reply window to post a screenshot.  Enjoy, John.

Hi John, thanks for the reply. These are the details you asked.

OverClocking: Game boost option with the motherboard app- will OC the CPU to 4.15GHz

Memory: G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GTZR Trident Z RGB Series - OCed to 3200MHzhttps://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MTDEYHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BIOS: MSI Click Bios 5

Today I have updated the chipset drivers and BIOS. but no differences- instead now freezing before 80C.

These next two images are taken after PC frozen. Here it is frozen at 77C.

IMG_20181120_234427_HDR.jpgIMG_20181120_234502_HDR.jpg

Below Pic: no overclock_idle

no_overclock_idle.png

Below Pic: no overclock full load

no_overclock_full_load.png

Below Pic: overclocked_4.15GHz_idle

overclocked_4.15GHz_idle.png

I have updated the BIOS as well as installed new chipset drivers. still no luck.

Please notice that there is a clear temp difference for CPU between the Package Node 0 temp and the Motherboard temp. This time it froze at 77C. This is a new build, so if we can't fix this issue asap, then I think it is better to go for a replacement. But the confusing part is I don't what need to be replaced- motherboard or CPU or anything else...

Thanks,

Raj

0 Likes

billy72, where did you get this: "The freezes at those temperatures are normal, it's a security CPU health default configuration in BIOS..."?  I do not believe this for a minute!  A processor should never freeze.

amd2700X, as I posted above, RM CPU temperatures are the only ones to believe!  I do not even look at the other screenshots - they are simply WRONG!

It is time to open an AMD Online Support ticket - here.  Please provide them a link to this thread and ask if a freezing CPU is normal.  Let us know what you learn.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
amd2700x
Adept I

Thank you everyone for the replies. It helped me to find out the problem. After few tests, I noticed that the early freezing is happening because of the incompatible overclock settings in the MSI Game Boost option. To find out this, I ran the processor at high temps in the normal mode and it went up to 84C on RM(84C on Tdie and 94C on Tctl (Tctl has 10C offset)) and not freezing(not enough courage to go beyond 84C) I used Autodesk Maya for rendering(I think no stress test or benchmark app can stress the CPU like this- most of the time even mouse pointer won't move during render) and kept the fan speeds low so that the system will go to higher temperatures. And found that there is no freezing till 84C(Tdie)/94C(Tctl) or 84C Ryzen Master. I didn't go further- afraid of frying something on the way.. . Actually I don't have any plan to do OC since the results are not that great with this processor. Maybe I might do it after few years when the current computing power is not quite enough, but now I am going to get entertained with the light show of the prism cooler!

I have to say that this processor is a beast when it comes to 3D rendering as it has exactly 200% performance when compared to a workstation with i7 7700K.

Anyways thanks for the help. please let me know your thoughts.