cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jasonamd
Adept II

AMD Wraith Prism LED Control not working with USB Header & Cooler Master Utility v1.5

I am certain my USB cable is connected properly to the Wraith Prism cooler and to the AMD USB LED header on the motherboard (ASRock X470 Gaming ITX/ac). I have installed the THE AMD RYZEN WRAITH PRISM RGB LIGHTING CONTROL SOFTWARE, POWERED BY COOLER MASTER v1.5. The software prompts me to "Plug in your CM device to get started." Windows does not recognize the fan/RGB device and says "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" in Device Manager.

I have reinstalled the AMD Chipset drivers and Cooler Master software, updated BIOS, tried enabling/disabling the ASRock LED Controller in UEFI, updating drivers for each USB controller in device manager, uninstalling/reinstalling each USB controller, and disabling power management under each USB controller.

Thanks!

1 Solution
jasonamd
Adept II

I was able to come up with a bandaid fix for this. Instead of using the AMD LED Fan USB Header, I connected the Wraith Prism USB cable to a USB 2.0 Header and the device was recognized immediately/installed by Windows as an AM4 SR4 cooler and the Cooler Master software worked effortlessly. I attempted a firmware update but the fan was already up to date. I then reconnected the fan to the AMD LED Fan USB Header but it once again was not recognized by Windows or Cooler Master software.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies

See if this thread concerning the Wraith RGB is helpful or not: https://community.amd.com/message/2881752#comment-2881752?q=rgb%20w

This User seems to have a similar problem with his Wraith Prism: https://community.amd.com/message/2859352?q=wraith%20rgb

Thanks for the response but I've reviewed those threads already and haven't found the solution within them. I just want to turn the lights off. Is there any way to do it manually without the software?

0 Likes

Here is the manual for your ASrock Motherboard: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Fatal1ty%20X470%20Gaming-ITXac.pdf

Here is how hook up AMD CPU COOLER SR2:

Here is how to hook up AMD CPU COOLER SR3:

Here is how to connect the cable correctly on the motherboard CPU Cooler cable:

Here in case you rather use ASRock CPU COOLER LED software to control the LED on the AMD CPU COOLER:

ALL THIS IS JUST TO COVER THE BASIC INSTALLATION OF THE CPU COOLER TO THE MOTHERBOARD. I am sure you have already done all this but in case you missed something or connected a cable incorrectly.

Here is the CoolerMaster latest CPU COOLER LED Software: Downloading the AMD Ryzen Wraith Prism RGB lighting control software | Cooler Master

I appreciate you looking into it. I haven't yet tried the 4 pin LED header because I read it doesn't provide full control over all lights. I am curious why the manual says to use only one cable but the diagram shows both cables being used when opting for the USB cable. I may just go ahead and try that, can't hurt. And there is one other USB header on the motherboard so maybe I could try that as well.

0 Likes
jasonamd
Adept II

I was able to come up with a bandaid fix for this. Instead of using the AMD LED Fan USB Header, I connected the Wraith Prism USB cable to a USB 2.0 Header and the device was recognized immediately/installed by Windows as an AM4 SR4 cooler and the Cooler Master software worked effortlessly. I attempted a firmware update but the fan was already up to date. I then reconnected the fan to the AMD LED Fan USB Header but it once again was not recognized by Windows or Cooler Master software.

0 Likes
belayline
Journeyman III

There are two conditions that must be met in order for the Wraith software to work:

1. Of course, for fan control, the fan header should always be connected to the CPU fan control header on the motherboard. For color control, however, ONLY the USB wire should be connected to a USB 2.0 header. If the RGB wire is connected, the controller will default to using the RGB control and USB control will be turned off. In this state, the software will not be able to communicate with the cooler.
    • FYI, I'm guessing the AMD USB HEADER on your motherboard is proprietary and is not compatible with this cooler. The cooler can ONLY be connected to a standard USB 2.0 header.
  2. The software you use should match the model of Wraith cooler you have. For instance, you cannot use Wraith Prism software with a Wraith Max cooler. Each driver version is only looking for the model of cooler it is tailored for, so make sure that in your case, you download and run the WRAITH PRISM software.

It took me a while to figure it out, but once I had the above setup, the software worked. In my case, I had downloaded the wrong version of the driver software. I can even control the colors from my MSI motherboard software. I hope this cleared up some confusion.

mcfarad
Adept I

Hi there!  The problem is solved by connecting the connector to the bottom row of pins, as in the photo. IMG_2653[290].jpg

0 Likes

Hi Mcfarad,

Thanks for the picture. Micro Center did not ship the USB2 to 3 pin cable with the PowerSpec G162 computer I bought that has the Wraith Prism Cooler. I get no replies from customer support and will have to make one. Will you send me a picture of the other end of that cable so I can get the pinouts right. Can I assume that the white printed L bracket (bottom left pin) on the board is pin-1 and are the wires white-green-black from left to right in the pic. If someone knows what the pin assignments are for both plugs and can list sketch it that would be good too. I do think I have found the USB2 pin assignments but can't find anything on the 3 pin on the Wraith Prism.

Thanks again 

0 Likes