cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE ~ Atikmpag.sys | with Ryzen APU'S (Ryzen 5 2400G + Ryzen 3 2200G)

BSOD

TDR stands for Timeout, Detection, and Recovery components in Windows.

It’s supposed to be there to help stop BSODs by resetting the GPU and/or driver when there’s an issue of long delay.

Bug Check 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_ERROR | Microsoft Docs

The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor. This behavior can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver, so that it properly supports the TDR process.
  • Hardware issues that impact the ability of the video card to operate properly, including:
    • Over-clocked components, such as the motherboard
    • Incorrect component compatibility and settings (especially memory configuration and timings)
    • Insufficient system cooling
    • Insufficient system power
    • Defective parts (memory modules, motherboards, etc.)
  • Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down so that the video card can not respond as necessary.

~ Seems to be a rampant issue with a quick search through the AMD forums

The problem here is with the GPU drivers. They haven't been fixed since the day these APUs came out. They cause BSODs, slow OpenGL performance, visual distortion, and full on crashes requiring shutdown via reset button or holding the power button.

Here's all the random possible solutions I've come across:  (FYI IT'S STILL NOT FIXED)

BIOS:

- Lower OC RAM speeds to 2133 MHz     --> Still Crashing

- Increase voltage a little to RAM + CPU (1.2 V)  --> Still Crashing

- Turn off Cool N Quiet --> Still Crashing

- Turn off Core Perf Boost and Global C-State --> Still Crashing

- Turn off auto-voltage for CPU since it can cause spikes in voltage  --> Still Crashing

- Increased VRAM to 2 GB --> Still Crashing

Hardware:

- Replace your Memory Modules with something on your Mobo QVL List  --> Will problem do this next.  (Currently using Corsair LPX ram... will probably try Amazon.com: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory...

Driver:

- Uninstall all previous drivers with DDU

- Install AMD Chipset Drivers under the 'Optional Downloads' tab. --> Ryzen Desktop APU's

- Install AMD GPU Drivers under the Main Tab  --> Ryzen Desktop APU's

--> Still Crashing

List of other drivers that may be good or bad...

- Wi-Fi Driver

- LAN Driver ~ One user said he uninstalled this and the bsods went away

- Realtek Audio Drivers

--> Still Crashing

Windows 10:

- Modify registry entry to increase GPU processing time [1] & [2​]    --> Still Crashing

- Fixed when I selected 8bit (adjusted from 10bit) color in Radeon Settings.Even better when I selected 4:2:2 in HDMI output.

- Boot into a clean boot state (AMD Support through email told me to do this) --> Still Crashing

- Noticed in Event Viewer that before every Kernel-Power BSOD there was 'EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv'...

Speccy

21 Replies

This website offers some good troubleshooting tips on your error: Fix: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (ATIKMPAG.SYS) IN WINDOWS 8.1/10 - Appuals.com 

EDIT: 08/24/2018 - Deleted the last link due to Unsafe ratings from Web Of Trust about downloading their software.

I think I might be wary of downloading that software on that page they promote. As we already discussed in another thread. The other written advice seems sound.

prosumer
Adept I

Thank you very much for posting this.  This is the first post that addresses all of the strange things that can be done to attempt to work around this issue of the AMD drivers.  I am convinced the problem is driver related because:

1. I can always avoid the issue by under-clocking my RAM to 2133
  2. I've seen the problem with Samsung B-die or Hynix RAM
  3. In all configurations I've been able to run AIDA64 stability tests no problem
  4. I've found a case where I can reproduce reliably, Starcraft II the first campaign mission

As you can see this isn't a hardware problem.  The Raven Ridge APU AMD drivers are known to have issues with Direct X 9 and Starcraft II displays this weakness.  However it's not just DX9.  Quake Champions can also be used to reproduce the same issue, although only when I'm pushing the RAM clock.  That is to say, the issue hiccup in which causes the TDR failure because Windows is unable to push through the pause in iGPU response when using the drivers to address the hardware is sensitive to RAM speeds.

This build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/j6mqqs

0 Likes

Following up here.  I purchased QVL RAM which is more stable at 3200Mhz than either of the other more expensive G.Skill Hynix or Corsair Samsung B-die RAM kits I've tried.  Unfortunately, I can still reliably reproduce VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE running Starcraft 2 on Windows 10.

0 Likes

pls give a little more juice on vsoc - 1.1V should be "minimum" for high ram speeds with low latency - yet pls dont go over 1.15V // ps some boards use higher voltages than bios or hwinfo shows

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

Thanks for encouraging me to try again at SOC.  Unfortunately it didn't create stability in this particular use case with 1.1 or 1.15 SOC, even with 1.4 on DRAM.  Right now I'm running the Patriot Viper memory listed on ASRock's QVL and XMP 3200 is thankfully stable for Quake Champions and a myriad of other use cases with benchmark scores and fps appreciably improved over the more expensive but less compatible RAM i started with.  Anyhow, the 2400G is a marvel of a CPU, I'm loving that I can get 50fps in QC without a dedicated GPU, just amazing.

Edit:  I want to mention that I reconfirmed that with 2133 as a result of the Auto configuration in the BIOS for RAM, it's stable in StarCraft 2.  Also my core voltage is actually underclocked at 1.35v with my GPU at 1.2.  Unfortunately I was not able to observe the change in SOC via HWMonitor when going to SOC of 1.1v.  I read somewhere it's VIN4 but that's 1.85.  I also read there is an offset, but couldn't guess which VIN and wasn't sure the offset was something like .3v?  In any case, without a good way to check it, it seems 1.1 to 1.15 is safe and tried those to no avail.

Other sources of information as i worked on the SOC 1.1 test:

0 Likes

did you also tried to set ram resistance corretc?

my samsung b-dies have proc odt 53.3 and 30 30 30 40

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Still not solved. Will AMD ever respond?

0 Likes

What is the MAKE & MODEL Number of the RAM MEMORY you have installed. SPECCY indicates UNKNOWN with 15 gigabytes of RAM MEMORY. I copied my SPECCY RAM DATA to compare to yours. Yours doesn't indicate SPD Modules installed. My does. I have  four -4 gigabytes RAM Modules by Corsair. I have a feeling all your problems may be related that you don't have compatible RAM MEMORY installed.

(YOURS)                                                                                          

(MINE)

Mine indicate TYPE: DDR3 while yours indicates TYPE: UNKNOWN

I don't know if this is because SPECCY can't read accurately DDR4 RAM MEMORY or not. Someone will need to upload their SPECCY RAM DATA that uses DDR4 and see if it says the same thing as yours.

Plus you must have mixed Gigabytes of RAM MEMORY on the same Motherboard rather than have a Set. How do you get 15 Gigabytes of RAM MEMORY?

The only combinations are One - 8 gbyte, One - 4 gbyte, One - 2 gbyte, and One - 1 Gbytes of RAM MODULES installed to get 15 gbytes of Total RAM MEMORY.

Is you RAM MEMORY listed in the QVL List from here: ASRock > Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac ?

Ryzen CPU/APU are quite sensitive to the type of RAM MEMORY installed. It is very important that your RAM MEMORY is listed in the QVL list for your motherboard.

Did you install a Set of RAM MEMORY or did you buy each RAM MEMORY separately?

Just covering basic information.

Not sure how he gets 15 gb of ram unless you have miss matched modules. Seems like you would have to have a  1 gb module and I don't think that they even made a DDR 4 module that size. Maybe it is just that speccy is incorrect on the unknown thing it does this to me too. I don't doubt he would have issues if what speccy shows is accurate.  Below is what speccy shows for mine and it shows unknown too and my ram is very common GSkill ram. Followed by what CPU-Z shows. Hope it helps clear things up.

It does clear things up a bit, but if you noticed, your SPECCY also indicates SPD and how many RAM Modules you have installed. The OPS doesn't indicated  how many modules are installed and which DIMM socket like both of our does. The OPS SPECCY shows ZERO SPD Modules installed.

The only difference between your SPECCY and mine is the TYPE: in which in yours it shows Unknown but accurate amount of RAM MEMORY installed.

So, either the RAM MEMORY the OPS is bad in which one is showing less than the full amount or his motherboard is bad or his RAM MEMORY is incompatible with the Motherboard and Ryzen.

Thanks pokester for uploading your SPECCY showing your RAM.

0 Likes

In answer to the question "Still not solved. Will AMD ever respond?" Possibly if you ever ask them. Unfortunately if you think you are asking AMD in these forums that is not correct. These are USER to USER forums. You are not asking AMD, only other users like you for their input. In some rare cases one of the only 2 AMD mods, not driver development guys may get involved in a discussion. I'd say it's maybe a 1 in a 1oo chance. So if you need help from AMD you need to contact them the only way they allow us to and that is with a Support Ticket or Issue report. These are available in Radeon Settings, the contact page and or the driver download page.

0 Likes

DOCpVKi.png

The life of AMD. LOL. It's crashed less recently but still annoying.

As for the Speccy information.. I think it's just a bug in their software.

The system clearly recognizes 16 GB (https://i.imgur.com/21iYRyv.png )

Yh5QcQS.png

IaWgA6E.png

0 Likes
ibada
Adept I

Go to my post, i think it might solve your problem, here is the link: For Those Who Are Having Problem With Ryzen 5 2400G

0 Likes

I think it has possibly something to do with  the RAM you choose honestly.

Here's microsoft's explanation:  Bug Check 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_ERROR | Microsoft Docs 

This is the RAM I've been using:  CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model C... 

I'm sure it's a microsoft + amd problem though.

The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor. This behavior can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver, so that it properly supports the TDR process.
  • Hardware issues that impact the ability of the video card to operate properly, including:
    • Over-clocked components, such as the motherboard
    • Incorrect component compatibility and settings (especially memory configuration and timings)
    • Insufficient system cooling
    • Insufficient system power
    • Defective parts (memory modules, motherboards, etc.)
  • Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down so that the video card can not respond as necessary.
0 Likes
bash87
Journeyman III

Hello there,
I got the same problem and I think I have it fixed
Few weeks ago I have overclocked my GPU portion to 1500 Mhz @ 1.168 V on GFX voltage, SOC + 0.0018 which means SOC is at

1.1698 V which is pretty safe
yesterday I wanted to go a liitle bit higher so I tried 1525 Mhz @ 1.181 GFX voltage, after 2 hours of playing Paladins I got TDR video failure so I dialed it back to 1500 Mhz @ 1.168.
I got my RAM to work Stable at 3200 Mhz 16 16 16 32 52 2T by using Ryzen DRAM calculator and put the timings manually, also DRAM voltage is @ 1.36 voltage.
What you want to try is: Set a fix voltage for the GPU portion of you don't wanna overclocked (btw getting the RAM to work on high frequency with tight timing is more important and beneficial for GPU performance.
my System is table now and this is how I confirmed it:
AIDA64: 11 Hours no problem

Memtest 86+: 10 Hours now problem

Resident evil 6 Benchmark tool: (Free download from Steam): let it run 10 times @ 1080p Max settings so I can stress the crap out of the GPU and those were the results:

5466, 5462, 5463, 5467, 5466, 5468, 5459, 5465, 5466, 5464 (those numbers are how many frames during the entire Benchmark.

CPU temp: Max 51c on AIDA64
VRM temp Max 47c on AIDA64
MOFset temp: During the heavy benchmark max 65c, During gaming like Paladins Max 58c

So try increasing the frequency on your GPU portion and pump a little bit of voltage there and you'll be fine.

Also give Ryzen DRAM calculator a shot, you'll be really happy more than you might think, I got 12-15% more performance by using the right and the tightest timing @ 3200 Mhz

Edit: one thing worth mentioning is the TDR delay in the registry key
once I had similar problem with another system and I found a way around it:
open AIDA64 and open the Stress test tool. uncheck all the options and then recheck CPU and GPU, if you got a message after checking GPU saying that the TDR delay is too low then click yes to let AIDA64 fix it and then reboot the system. Another option is to locate the key and set the value to 10 Decimal.
This Method worked for sure.
If you can't locate it please let me know I'll try to help you

Just an update:  Bought ram on my motherboards QVL list and haven't blue screened for 3 weeks...

benman2785
Big Boss

yap - Ryzen works well with good RAM
ps - Gigabytes Bios arent the best...
pps - try KETs BiosMods for Gigabyte X370 Boards - i use them on 3 different MoBos (GA-AX370-Gaming-5 + F4-3200C14D-16GVK DDR4-3200CL14 + 2600X 4.2GHz + RX580 4G && GA-AX370-Gaming-3 + F4-2400C15D-16GNT DDR4-2400CL15 + A6 9500 (will be replaced) + RX460 2G LP && GA-AB350N-Gaming-WiFi + F4-2400C15D-16GNT DDR4-2400CL15 + 2400G 4GHz)

I don't know if this has been covered but from personal experience with the problem, I concluded that it might be a problem with how much ram the system is taking or not taking. I own a 2200g and with intergrated graphics it only contains about 200mb of vram which is to be expected for intergrated graphics. Since it doesn't have very much vram typically it should take system memory which is way slower and may be why the error message video tdr failure pops up. I would run a game then open task manager to see that I had 4gb of available shared memory and my system was using none of it but this wasn't always the case when my game didn't crash the moment I opened it I would check task manager and it was in fact using the system memory fixing the problem for the couple hours I was on my pc but the next day the same issue would occur making it really unreliable. This may be a problem with system ram or a faulty apu if that is the case shame on amd. The only possible way I see this error being fixed is if you buy a dedicated graphics card with at least 2gb of vram. I suggest you take a look yourself and open task manager and decide for yourself if this is the problem I am not claiming this is the true explanation but it may be and hopefully this will help you.

0 Likes

Yeah it thought it was fixed but it's still crashing... lmao. what a nightmare. APU + Chip set drivers are up to date as well AND using memory on the QVL list.

0 Likes
necris44
Journeyman III

Did you fix it?

0 Likes