Graphics Cards

p3d_rokk
Journeyman III

atikmdag.sys BSOD!!!

Hardware;

APU : AMD A4 3300 with HD6480G

GPU: AMD HD6750M

RAM:3gb

(Yes, it's an old Laptop but for me it's enough)

What happened before;

-I overclocked the GPU a few months ago.
-I started getting a message saying that HardDisk is in trouble.
-Windows has corrupted itself during an update. But it continued to work even though some applications did not open anymore.

-I can no longer do any Windows updates due to this corruption.

What happened during:

I was working on a DirectX 11 application and suddenly the screen froze. I waited a little bit to see if it was working again and since it did not come back, I held the power off button and restarted it.

-When I rebooted, BSOD showed up.

What I have now;

-The laptop has become completely useless.

I uninstalled the drivers, because versions 14.9, 15.2, 15.3 did not work and every time I install the drivers the BSOD appears. The latest version available for my APU is 15.2 and for GPU it is 15.3.

-I needed to reduce the CPU clock, because when the GPU is uninstalled it keeps running to the maximum making the laptop overheat.

-I can not use any DirectX application which is the only thing I need before buying another computer.

I have found no way to make dedicated and integrated GPUs work independently. The two need to be working, otherwise Windows uses the "Basic Display Driver".

What I tried to do;

-I tried installing several versions of the driver. BSOD in all cases. The drivers were downloaded on Windows Update and AMD page.

-At all times I used DDU to uninstall the drivers.

-I tried the "expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys" thing.  Windows doesn't recognized the drivers.

-I tried to reset the Windows. It did not work because of corrupted system files.

-I tried to restore windows. It did not work and I do not know why.

What I want to know;

-If this is a driver corruption problem, is there anything I have not tried yet?

-If this is a hardware problem, how can I identify which part was damaged?

-The GPU continues to "work" when it is uninstalled making the computer warm up. This is a good sign?

-If the problem is in the GPU integrated to the APU, how can I use only the dedicated GPU?

-If the problem is with the dedicated GPU, can you use only the graphics of the APU?

What I need now;

- That a DirectX application will work until I buy a new PC.

What I can not do;

-Lose all files stored on HardDisk.

0 Likes
1 Solution

If your Windows installation is corrupted, Try an Ingrade upgrade using the same version of Windows Installation as the one you have installed. Run the Setup.exe file while on the Windows Desktop and let it reinstall a good copy of Windows with all your APPs and configuration still intact.

But it might not install since you have an outdated Windows version. You can try anyways. It will let you know if you reinstall the old version or not.

If Windows is corrupted and can't be repaired using SFC /scannow in an elevated Command Prompt or Powershell or by using DISM than you should reinstall Windows using the above method or do a clean install or upgrade to the latest Windows Version since your laptop is using Windows 1709 version.

But first do the below mentioned because if your hard drive is defective so will your Windows Installation be during or after it is installed.

Run CHKDSK /f/r/x and see if Windows can make the Hard drive usable. If not download Seatools Diagnostic and run it and see if your Hard drive is bad.

I also would put everything in "Default" in BIOS and your GPU card.

AMD has no Windows 10 drivers for your APU. Only for Windows 8,1 or earlier: A4-3300M with Radeon™ HD 6480G Drivers & Support | AMD .

This AMD Article shows what APUs are supported on Windows 10: Windows® 10 Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products | AMD .

Your APU, the A4 series is listed but has no Windows 10 drivers at AMD Download page unless your laptop manufacturer has one to install. You might want to try and install the 8.1 driver and see if it works otherwise it is best to use your Laptop manufacturer's Graphics Driver which will be 100% compatible with your laptop or allow Windows Update to install the APU driver if it has one.

When you install the Graphics Drivers for your laptop you must download the APU driver and not the discrete GPU card driver. The APU Driver installs both the Integrated and Discrete GPU drivers at the same time.

When you use DDU you must have the internet disconnected otherwise Windows will install it own driver version. Here is how to install AMD Drivers on a laptop: Laptop graphics update...How to

EDIT: If your Hard drive is defective or you have a corrupt installation of Windows, you can try and install drivers all day long and you will have constant problems. First need to make sure your hard drive is good and your Windows installation is not corrupted before installing any software or drivers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If your Windows installation is corrupted, Try an Ingrade upgrade using the same version of Windows Installation as the one you have installed. Run the Setup.exe file while on the Windows Desktop and let it reinstall a good copy of Windows with all your APPs and configuration still intact.

But it might not install since you have an outdated Windows version. You can try anyways. It will let you know if you reinstall the old version or not.

If Windows is corrupted and can't be repaired using SFC /scannow in an elevated Command Prompt or Powershell or by using DISM than you should reinstall Windows using the above method or do a clean install or upgrade to the latest Windows Version since your laptop is using Windows 1709 version.

But first do the below mentioned because if your hard drive is defective so will your Windows Installation be during or after it is installed.

Run CHKDSK /f/r/x and see if Windows can make the Hard drive usable. If not download Seatools Diagnostic and run it and see if your Hard drive is bad.

I also would put everything in "Default" in BIOS and your GPU card.

AMD has no Windows 10 drivers for your APU. Only for Windows 8,1 or earlier: A4-3300M with Radeon™ HD 6480G Drivers & Support | AMD .

This AMD Article shows what APUs are supported on Windows 10: Windows® 10 Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products | AMD .

Your APU, the A4 series is listed but has no Windows 10 drivers at AMD Download page unless your laptop manufacturer has one to install. You might want to try and install the 8.1 driver and see if it works otherwise it is best to use your Laptop manufacturer's Graphics Driver which will be 100% compatible with your laptop or allow Windows Update to install the APU driver if it has one.

When you install the Graphics Drivers for your laptop you must download the APU driver and not the discrete GPU card driver. The APU Driver installs both the Integrated and Discrete GPU drivers at the same time.

When you use DDU you must have the internet disconnected otherwise Windows will install it own driver version. Here is how to install AMD Drivers on a laptop: Laptop graphics update...How to

EDIT: If your Hard drive is defective or you have a corrupt installation of Windows, you can try and install drivers all day long and you will have constant problems. First need to make sure your hard drive is good and your Windows installation is not corrupted before installing any software or drivers.

Okay, thank you so much, I'll try this!

0 Likes

Windows 10 Driver Support for AMD APU Graphics Products

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Yep, I posted a similar link to the OPS, But AMD Download doesn't have any Windows 10 drivers when you input his APU. Just for Windows 8.1 or earlier versions of Windows.

I mentioned to the OPS in my previous post about trying to install Windows 8.1 driver or allowing Windows Update to install one:

"Your APU, the A4 series is listed but has no Windows 10 drivers at AMD Download page unless your laptop manufacturer has one to install. You might want to try and install the 8.1 driver and see if it works otherwise it is best to use your Laptop manufacturer's Graphics Driver which will be 100% compatible with your laptop or allow Windows Update to install the APU driver if it has one."

0 Likes

I downloaded on Windows Update an it worked for 2 years on Windows 10.

I will buy a new PC soon, I was postponing a new installation of Windows because I need the files stored in the HD, besides needing it for work. I will return to Windows 7 when everything is ready. Is there any chance of a hardware problem?

0 Likes

So, Windows update installed the APU driver and now the laptop is working correctly? If so great.

But one suggestion. Don't install Windows 7 because in 2020 it won't be supported by Microsoft anymore for Security updates and will be considered to be obsolete Windows. If you just want to use Windows 7 temporarily until you get a new PC than that is fine. Windows 7 is one of Microsoft's best Windows version they have made. Who knows maybe Microsoft will change it mind and extend support for Windows 7 if enough customers complain before 2020 arrives.

But unfortunately, Windows 10 is the future at the moment.

If you get a new PC I would stay with Windows 10. Eventually Microsoft or manufacturers may make Windows 7 incompatible to new hardware.

As for your laptop, You never mentioned the manufacturer of the laptop or model you have. But some manufacturer Support sites like Dell and HP has online Diagnostic that can check your laptop hardware and let you know it there are any problems.

Good luck on your next PC!

0 Likes