cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

soupcans
Adept I

Changing Wattman Fan settings after a GPU memory overclock causes a solid color PC freeze that forces me to hard reset the PC (18.11.1 drivers)?

AMD Graphics Card: AMD RX 560 4gb

Desktop PC

Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Driver version installed: Adrenalin 18.11.1

Display Devices: LG MP59G 1920x1080

Motherboard + Bios Revision: MSI B450m Pro m2 AGESA 1.0.0.4c

CPU: Ryzen 2600 (stock)

Power Supply Unit: EVGA 600B, 600w

RAM: 8gb DDR4

Latest Ryzen Chipset drivers.

Background apps: None

Description and troubleshooting:

Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I've reported this to AMD driver feedback.

Just overclock your memory in Wattman. And then just change the fan settings, usually playing around with the FAN minimum rpm and acoustic level slider and clicking "apply"(maybe takes a few tweaks and applies) will cause the solid color crash.

No other background apps was running. Core mhz was at stock. I've played around with this more and I'm pretty sure it's fan control and memory OC somehow freezing things.

Been just leaving fan settings on auto now. Afraid to touch it. Everything else is fine though. Games and playing media is fine. Even with heavy overclocking, games don't show any artifacting or crashes.

This issue was NOT present in previous drivers for me. I've been running with 2000mhz memory overclock for almost 2 years now with zero issues on previous drivers. Played 100+ hours of doom on ultra and that stresses vram alot.

No other wattman setting change + apply causes the freeze. I can overclock the core or tweak target temp and power limit, and click apply dozens of times and that doesn't cause the freeze. Only fan settings  and changing them and clicking "apply" have the weird flicker and freeze. NOTHING else causes the solid color (usually cyan or orange) freeze and force reset.

Anyways just wondering if any of you guys can test this and see if your system crashes? Or am I just alone and this is my graphics card dying!?

0 Likes
3 Replies

I would bet it is the Overclocking the Memory causing the problems. Fan Control shouldn't cause any freezing or crashes unless the GPU card overheated or was starting to overheat.

0 Likes

Completely cold GPU on restart and still changing Fan settings causes freeze after even a slight 50mhz memory OC. Didn't play any games. Didn't stress gpu at all. Just changing fan setting causes a solid color freeze. Weird right?

Never happened before with older drivers. Flickering when changing wattman settings has been a new "feature" as well. Been almost 2 years running with 2000mhz memory OC no issues at all. Possibly silicon degradation maybe? All stock voltages though.

0 Likes

I would put your GPU card back to "Default" settings and see if the same problems occurs. Also if you should happen to have MSI Afterburner I would suggest to uninstall it due to the fact it at time has conflict with AMD Wattman.

Try using a diagnostic software to Stress test your GPU card to see if it fails under Load stress. I would also download a free monitoring software like Open Hardware or HWMonitor to check temperatures and Voltages while being stressed or playing games.

I personally like to use the free diagnostic program called OCCT because it is the only program that stress tests PSU mainly.

0 Likes