cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Why is Microsoft Windows 10 64bit automatically installing >1.5year old Crimson ReLive (17.1.1) on my PC when 18.7.1 is the latest available driver for my cards?

Hi

Why is Microsoft  Windows 10 64bit automatically installing >1.5year old Crimson (17.1.1) drivers on my PC when 18.7.1 is the latest available driver for my cards?

Is it not possible for AMD Drivers Team to work with Microsoft to solve this problem of installing the very old drivers on peoples PC's or Laptops?

I feel this situation is well beyond a bad joke now, I am really tired of this happening.

System Information.

CPU:                i7-4790K

GPU:               Sapphire R9 Fury X Primary. PowerColor R9 Nano Secondary.
Motherboard:   ASUS Z97 Deluxe Dual with NFC & Wireless. Bios reflashed with latest available from ASUS last week.

RAM:               Corsair Ballistix Tactical Low Profile.

SSHD:             Seagate 1TB.

OS:                 Windows 10 64bit Pro 18.03 updated today. All System Checks pass.

AMD Driver     Adrenalin 18.7.1 (before I uninstalled it in control panel, booted into safe mode to run DDU, rebooted into Windows 10 64 bit).

Here is a description of what happened.

I am about to run some important work using my PC and I wanted to make sure my PC System was clean, checked and running with the latest available Windows 10 Pro Updates and latest available AMD Drivers.

I ran Windows Updates first.

I then ran various system checks to make sure that the Windows Installation was clean and verified versus Microsoft latest  image using DISM commands. Everything is fine. uninstall

Finally, I used control panel to uninstall Adrenalin 18.7.1, boot into Safe mode, run DDU version 17.0.9.1 to uninstall any traces of AMD or Nvidia Drivers, reboot into Windows 10 64bit in preparation to install an already downloaded, fresh copy of the Adrenalin 18.7.1 driver for Windows 10 64bit from the AMD Drivers page.

On reboot I checked Device Manager and checked that Microsoft Basic Display Adapters were being used for my cards. They were. The previous AMD Driver had been uninstalled for sure.

I was just about to click install on the fresh copy of the Adrenalin 18.7.1 driver for Windows 10 64bit installer when my Screen when blank, flashed a few times and then recovered.

Microsoft had decided to install what it thinks is the correct copy of the AMD Drivers 'needed' for my machine.

Here is what it installed:

pastedImage_0.png

My question is not "how can I prevent Microsoft Windows 10 64bit from automatically installing drivers".

I understand that I could use gpedit to set Group Policy to prevent this in the past.

My question is why are Microsoft installing such old AMD Drivers on peoples machines?
That driver is not even supposed to work with Windows 10 18.03 Update!
Please do not tell me this is just a Microsoft problem or say this is all Microsoft fault.

I will open a support case with Microsoft about this again.
I will open an Email Form support case about this with AMD.
If you read this post and have seen a similar problem I ask you to also open an email support case about this.

This problem has been going on for far too long.

Can AMD Drivers Team please talk with Microsoft and get a fix to this problem of installing very old/wrong AMD drivers on consumer PC&Laptop

This problem is particularly important for AMD users with older laptops with mixed pre-GCN APU and discrete GCN GPU.

Thank you.

0 Likes
98 Replies

The difference being that the version from MS gets a repository ID number from MS. When AMD's downloaded drivers load they only see that a MS driver is loaded not one of their own. That is why it is a replacement not an upgrade at that point.

0 Likes

I get your frustration. If I do an express install it is fine, unless it isn't for other reasons that I pursue a clean install. I remove the driver and don't disable Windows updates puts it's driver in ahead of the one I want to install. This isn't just an AMD issue either. It is doing this crap on my machine with my 1060 in it to do not just AMD issue. I agree it needs to get sorted, but by Microsoft. I already submitted a report to them a few weeks back. Heard nothing from them so far. I have zero problems though if I disable the driver updates and Internet. I agree that AMD has issues with their driver upgrade from Radeon Settings but that is a separate issues, and I always recommend downloading the full installer and updating that way. All any of us here can do is share what works for us. Beyond that if you have issue with AMD, by all means report it to them. The link is in preferences in Radeon Settings and it does work.

0 Likes

It has been reported multiple times now.
Thanks.

0 Likes

dude - you are the only one who didnt get it working - so its a USERERROR on your side...

1. disable win10 auto driver install
2. hide update - "AMD Driver" // some have to do this step, some dont
3. delete wu-ccc2 folder in C:/AMD
4. run DDU in safe-mode

5. install latest driver

6. reboot

7. done! 1337

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

No it is not user error on my side.
I disabled Win 10 auto driver install doesn't work. I also have updates paused deferred and delayed.
I have been using DDU in safe mode and following their recommendation to disconnect from the internet and boot into windows 10 in normal mode and download and install to avoid this issue for months.

However last night I ran the Clean update and install from the Adrenalin 18.10.2 driver GUI gui and it happend again.
How many other people must this be catching out.
It is ridiculous.

0 Likes

Except that auto driver install can't be disabled on Windows 10. I've tried, ultimately the thing I've resorted to doing is keeping the latest drivers on a USB stuck, then disconnect the LAN cable and run DDU, then install the latest driver before I plug the LAN cable back in. I'm already really fed up of Windows 10's (un)helpfulness. Windows should learn to not download drivers from Windows Update unless I explicitly tell it to.

IT CAN!

as i said:
download latest DDU
disable win10 driver install
maybe hide that update (google wushowhide.diagcab if you dont know how)

reboot into Safe-Mode
delete C:/AMD/wu-ccc2 folder
run latest DDU in Safe-Mode
reboot normal
install latest AMD Driver
reboot
done!

if it doesnt work for you than to 95% YOU did an error - the other 5% fell for an unknown MS bug...

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Already tried that. It doesn’t work, windows still insists on installing missing drivers as soon as it resumes normal mode. I’ve already tried everything- turning auto updates from DDU and turning off download enhanced drivers from the advanced system settings dialog box, and it still insists on ”helpfully” grabbing drivers from Windows updates, sometimes with disastrous results (ie the driver on WU is broken and breaks a hardware, usually the SoundBlaster X-Fi). I don’t want to let it install the driver first and then blacklist. Hence the only logical solution of unplugging the LAN so it can’t get drivers on its own.

0 Likes

I keep testing this, and I listened to your advice on this one, I thank you for your advice.
I keep telling you my findings that unless I disconnect my PC from the internet completely, and keep it disconnected until the latest AMD Driver is installed using DDU, Microsoft will stick those AMD 17.1.1 Crimson ReLive drivers on my PC.

- disable win 10 driver install does nothing on my installations. Neither the previous installation before AMD Driver BSOD and corrupted Windows 10 OS, nor with a completely fresh windows 10 64bit OS on a brand new hard drive. That's just the os installed from Microsoft and no other files on the new drive.

- There is no C:/AMD/wu-ccc2 folder I look for it. I test with only 1 C: drive on the machine. It is not there.

Please read the latest instructions on using DDU - even they tell you to disconnect from the internet. Why do you think that is?
I have a method that I can use, with DDU in safe mode and disconnect from internet. I have used that for months with no problem regarding spurious Microsoft AMD Crimson ReLive 17.1.1 installation.

However DDU usder guide does say that the use of DDU should not be required for every GPU driver installation.

In any case, my latest report about this is using AMD own installer after I check for update and run clean install from AMD GUI. Nothing to do with DDU.

Those AMD 17.1.1 Crimson ReLive drivers installed by Microsoft are not even supposed to work with Windows 10 64bit version 18.03.

The AMD Adrenalin 18.11.1 installer does not even see that the drivers or that version of AMD Crimson Relive 17.1.1 are on the PC.
Even when AMD Settings 17.1.1 is active and running on the screen beside the Adrenalin 18.1.1. installer.

I am uploading a Video of this happening right now. Maybe someone in AMD will believe it when they actually see it.
Possibly will be the first time they even looked.
Maybe with a video they may realize how great Software QA practices this really indicates with their own installer.

0 Likes

This behavior unfortunately thanks to Microsoft is the new norm. Yes you need to disconnect from the internet. That is why DDU is advising it as well. This is being talked about in the Nvidia forums as well. I even have to do this installing network drivers at work because MS keeps sticking the wrong drivers in! Their Windows update has definitely crossed the line from helpful to hurtful.

It is not uncommon that an old driver is given to MS to add to their repositories. They often change the numbers to their scheme. That is why future AMD drivers don't know what to make of them and may not handle them properly. This is why if one is loaded I would definitely do as you are already doing. DDU and disconnect and install.

I have seen many times in the past that MS takes an old AMD driver and moves it to an OS that it was not supported on. What they do to it on their end I don't know. I am guessing if they can make it work when AMD no longer supports it that's usually a good thing. I realize your card however is supported. Just saying I have seen MS do this many times over the years. Many people felt those 17xxx drivers were good drivers. Maybe that is why MS is pushing it. Less calls to them? I don't really know, just a funny guess.

Thanks for your reply.

I also checked what happens if I do the following:
(1). Download AMD Crimson ReLive 17.1.1. from here:
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.1.1 Release Notes | AMD

(2). Download the latest version of DDU from here:
Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download
(3). Disconnect PC from Etherent and turn off my Router so no WIFI either.
(4). Boot into safe mode, run DDU, reboot, still with no internet connection.
(5). Try to install AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 17.1.1 Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit​

Note the name of that driver: Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.1.1-Jan16.exe
Not Windows Hardware Quality Labs approved or tested.
It will will run the installer on the version of Windows 10 64bit I am running, but, on reboot the Drivers are disabled with an Error Code.
So either the Driver Signature has been modded by Microsoft in their version of 17.1.1 so it will install or or they have made other changes as you say.

Whatever is going on, it does not look right to me and again I think it needs AMD to investigate it at the very least.

Bye.

0 Likes

I don't disagree. I just don't know that AMD is going to look into a driver MS is issuing and I know MS gives them their numbers not AMD's. Again that doesn't mean from and end user stand point that that driver won't still LOOK like it came from AMD. All I can recommend there, is spell it out to AMD in an issue report. Then also put a message in a bottle. See which one gets answered first.

cant work - because there is a folder called "wu-ccc2" - maybe now encrypted etc

this w(indows)u(pdate)-catalystcontrolcenter2 gets triggered by a registry flag (pls google that yourself) - this flag INSTALLS that old driver automaticly
its a know windows bug - as i posted before. And thanks to companies sometimes are worse than toddlers in behaviour towards eachother it happens that AMD and MS dont want to play about "internal" stuff...

0 Likes

Unfortunately all this stuff is born from an attempt to make is easier for the NONTECHNICAL USER. Unfortunately doing this makes it rubbish for everyone. What nontechnical users need is a technical friend or family member to help them. Not for MS to dumb things and automate them to the point they break it for everyone. In my many years of experience I have found you can only idiot proof things so far before becoming the idiot.

0 Likes
cfarley137
Journeyman III

OMG, this exact issue is happening to me. I uninstall the AMD software through "Add/Remove Programs", then reboot into safe mode and run DDU, then reboot normally. I load "Device Manager" and see that I am using the Microsoft Basic display adapter. Then, within 60 seconds or so the screen flickers and the Device Manager shows "Radeon RX 560". The AMD software is getting installed automatically. And this is the same very old version referenced in this post.

Is the workaround really to disconnect the computer from the Ethernet? How do you know that the update won't occur after installing the current version from AMD?

0 Likes

Yep that really does the trick just turn off the internet. Now it has been a possibility / reality that Windows can still decide to replace that driver. That is why in Windows 10 many of us choose to disable the feature to have Windows Update install driver updates at all. In the pro version it is easy, you can simply check a box to disable this. In the home versions they don't give you this ability by default. Google is your friend and can show you multiple ways to work around this. I know a 3rd party app that has a simple check box in it that does the registry work for you with one check box plus has a lot of other cool feature changes if you are interested that can do this easy, is winaero tweaker from winaero_com.

0 Likes

Well, the possibility is there, but so far I have not seen it happen. Usually Windows will leave the driver alone because the version number is higher.

Anyways, once Windows has downloaded the drivers, it Is cached. So you must both clear the Windows Update cache and then disconnect from the Internet and use DDU to remove the drivers. Once you have done that install the newer drivers first before going back online.

And while Pro offers an option to turn off retrieving drivers from Windows Update, I will say that it’s a placebo or broken and doesn’t work. I myself had turned it off and windows still insists on getting drivers from Windows Update.

That is why some of the 3rd party utilities are handy. I frequently check the stuff is disabled. What they been doing lately is having patches re-enable things. Now the other thing that helps a lot and did not mention this before in this thread to keep from Win Update from re-changing drivers is that you really should disable fast startup. Fast startup caches information including older drivers. So when you load new drivers that old driver information is still in those caches. So disable that too. It really doesn't help much and you sure don't need it even for speed if you are on a SSD, unless a couple extra boot seconds ruins you day.

0 Likes

Well, fast startup is usually the first thing I turn off when I do a windows install- because it creates a hibernate file on the SSD which I understand can shorten the SSDS life in the long run. And yeah, it still does that. Come to think of it, it seems that they also made the ability to turn off fast startup placebo or broken as well, since when I shut down and restart I noticed that my previous user is still logged in, which should not be the case if fast startup is disabled.

0 Likes