cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

saywhut
Challenger

How did you get into Radeon?

As the title suggests, what was the start for you?

For me was when I was playing my favorite game at the time, Guild Wars, and I remember seeing my graphics different from everybody else. I asked how I get elite skills and they told me to kill the "shiny" boss' but I would never see that and they told me I need a new video card. Long story short, I asked how I can "download" a video card and then found out I was running an on-board GeForce card. I then looked at the box of the Guild Wars media, and behold, ATi!!!

I then grabbed dual Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3870 in Crossfire X and that was the start for me.

pastedImage_0.png

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

From the Rage gpu series.
Then when the 9K series came out, got a 9600pro.

The all in wonder 9800pro was at the time.

GREAT TEAM ATI AMD RADEON FOR YOU!!!

pon, 12. stu 2018. u 21:59 wimpzilla <amd-external@jiveon.com> napisao je:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: How did you get into Radeon? in Red Team

jamesc359
Forerunner

I've been playing PC games since the mid nineties, but I had never really had a noteworthy discrete video card until about ten years ago.

Technically my initial introduction to Radeon came in the form of the integrated Radeon HD 3200 that came with my Windows Vista machine. Needless to say it was woefully under powered for anything but the most basic of games. Soon afterwards I went to the green team and got my first discrete video card which was a PNY Geforce GT 240 with a whopping 512MB of GDDR5. For a mere $65 it was an absolutely fantastic little card, albeit an entry level card. One of my fondest memories of that time period was playing Dead Space on it.

About a year or so later I purchased an XFX HD 6770 with 1GB of DDR5 - my first real introduction to a Radeon product and it wasn't great. I paid twice as much for it and even though it should've been a significantly faster card, it never felt like it. I don't know if it was the card or the drivers, but in most games the performance difference was negligible and some of them also suffered from a stutter. It was still an upgrade though and I played a lot of Counter Strike, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and more games than I could name on that card.

I probably would've jumped back to the green team, but it wasn't in the budget. I had (and still have) a commitment to my consoles too. So I made do until a couple years later when Newegg put an ASUS Radeon HD 7850 on sale. For a $130 I got a card that has lasted for almost 5 years. It was a huge jump for me as I could finally play most games on ultra settings at 1080P. It wasn't until very recently that I started to notice I couldn't play the latest titles on it - as such I consider it to be one of the best cards I've ever owned. The last noteworthy games I played on it was Alien: Isolation and Prey. Both of which it managed to handle with grace.

Thanks to the generosity of saywhut I'm now using a Sapphire RX 580, which was yet once again a huge upgrade for me. Currently I've been going back and playing the various Battlefield single player campaigns.

I'm sure that's way more than you wanted to know - in particular about the Geforce card, but it was a significant part of my more modern gaming history and at the end of the day the great games are what it's all about for me. The hardware is only there to facilitate that. But with that said I've still had a lot of success with ATI's and AMD's hardware.

Need to update your build with the new GPU and post it.

0 Likes

Be kind, it's an old system that has been pieced together over the years.

https://community.amd.com/message/2669831

Hi,

Real Answer:
AMD Sapphire HD79790 GHz OC 6GB and GCN 1.0.
Better than Nvidia at the time.
OpenCL.

Comedy Answer:
AMD Mind Control, although, apparently Nvida are better at it:
How NVIDIA conquered the masses - YouTube

Bye.

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

ATI Rage Pro?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, i remember vaguely having this:

dscn2121-1_orig.jpg

I think it was my 1st pc if i remember well, coupled with an Athlon K7 Thunderbird Slot A.
Then began the Athlon XP era and a word that i will never forget my whole life i suppose, Barton!
I still have a couple of them lost somewhere, think it still working.

my rage pro was gpu to a intel pentium 1 or 2 i think

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah i think was a pentium II, the pentium I was a bit early if i member well.
I was jealous because my friend at the time, because got a P2 and the Voodoo II, i remember we were so happy to run the stuff with the Glide API.
At the time it was a huge boost of perf compared to the RagePro and Riva gpu, when running the games with Glide.

0 Likes
kc5vdj
Elite

I'm thinking it was turn of the century with the ATI Rage 128 cards that I had in some roll-your-own UltraSPARC IIi boxes I used to own using the SPARCEngine Ultra AXi ATX motherboards (the first 64 bit systems I ever personally owned, all of 300 MHz!).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah agree, quite a game change regarding gpu's.

Wonderful time now i think about.

0 Likes