cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

blayd
Journeyman III

Whats the best video card the FX-8350 will support?

I know this is a very general question, but I built my young son a Desktop a few years ago, using this CPU. Asus says the motherboard cant take any upgraded CPU's, so now I am looking to see what Video cards this older CPU will support. He's currently running an R9 270x I believe.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

You are limited by the Power supply. It would help to know EXACTLY what the PSU is, the motherboard make/model and how much you want to spend.

Generally speaking there is no limit to what you can install, although some may be a waste of money as they can't be fully  utilized by the cpu. And that's debatable too.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Yep. I know what you mean. In the past I've done some swapping on machines to the point theres no return for the newer card. The PSU wont be an issue. Its 700W, and I do have a 1000W sitting around, its the CPU and motherboard that will dictate what can go in here as far as a more advanced card goes. Thanks for the reply.

0 Likes
grimbloodwolf
Adept III

Something in the range of an RX 580 or a GTX 1060 is really about as far as you'd want to go for all practical purposes, you could go as high as Vega 56 or GTX 1070, but the extra money spent on either of those won't give you enough of a hike with that CPU to make it worth it because of a CPU bottleneck...... the 270x wasn't exactly the most power efficient mid range card, so you probably already have a decent enough power supply in that system to support all the cards I listed, with maybe the exception of the Vega 56...... personaly I'd go with a 580 or a 1060.... either would be a huge upgrade over a 270x, and that's really the sweet spot for that CPU.

0 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys. The power supply is a Rosewill RD700. Plenty I think for most single cards. Motherboard is the Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0.

The bottle necking was what I was actually worried about. I've swapped cards on a ton of older machines through the years and know all too well that at somew point, the upgrade wasnt getting you anything more. Guess thats why I asked. I know the 8350 CPU isnt much in the way of a workhorse, but its either try to get him more out of the Video card, or upgrade to a whole new machine. So I'm checking my options. The PSU wont be an issue, but the motherboard capabilities, ( and mainly the CPU ) are what I'm concerned about. I was just hoping somebody out there was running the FX-8350 with a more advanced card, and how advanced I can try to go. Again thanks for the help.

0 Likes

An FX 8350 paired with an RX 580 or a GTX 1060 will give him a great 1080P gaming experience in all current titles and should still remain pretty decent well into the next few years...... I'm kindof in the same situation, I'm stuck with an I5-4590 right now, and an RX 480, it's a great pairing, and does just fine for 1080P, but upgrading it further doesn't make any sense..... a total rebuild is needed next time I feel like spending some money.

0 Likes

Looks like you have the bases covered so I agree the RX580 would be great.

There's a 590 coming soon (apparently Power color has one out already) so keep that in mind regarding sale prices and new performance.

I have a 6350 paired with my 580 and couldn't be happier.

OTOH and for sake of argument. If someone game me an NV 1080ti for a decent price I wouldn't hesitate to use it irregardless of so called bottlenecking as i KNOW at some  point I'll be upgrading the CPU/MOBO and will be making full use of it.  In the meantime even with the weaker/bottlenecking CPU it would still  outperform the 580/590.

Just sayin'.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

I have a FX 8350 on a Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard with a Asus Nvidia GTX 1070 gpu card without any issues. I am able to play the latest games without any issues. I also have a 5-6 y/o Corsair 850 Gold PSU.

Before the Nvidia GPU card I had installed AMD HD 6950 and 7850 GPU cards without any issues on the same motherboard.

0 Likes